Unemployed? - just move

wildcard

What do we make of these proposals;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-your-bike.html

Quote; 'To encourage jobless people living in council houses to move out of unemployment black spots to homes in other areas, perhaps hundreds of miles away.'

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is typical southern thinking I'm afraid. It's not a party thing, Labour were equally blind to the obvious fact that investing ten times as much in the south east leads to a lack of jobs in the north. One example, they had the choice of locating the Diamond Synchrotron (a billion pound science project) at Daresbury in Cheshire or Chilton in Oxfordshire. Guess where it went? Their reasoning for spending the money in the south was (almost incredibly) that they had already spent millions at that location and they wanted to keep everything in one place!

There are many other examples of similar thinking, for example the new national football stadium was built in London, despite it possibly being the worst possible location for most people to get to, primarily because it allows the FA crumblies and their cronies to get there by taxi.

There are things government can do to address employment black spots. As an individual, if you cant find or create work where you live, moving to where there is work is better than sitting on your arris moaning about it. Not something everyone can do, given barriers like relying on grandparents for childcare and the cost and difficulty of selling houses at the moment.

For a young, single person who doesn't have a mortgage, though, sitting in some former pit town moaning about Thatcher gets no sympathy from me - move!

For a young, single person who doesn't have a mortgage, though, sitting in some former pit town moaning about Thatcher gets no sympathy from me - move!

A very simplistic solution...

Why should people have to move away from their local area and their friends/relatives etc? That's the way that whole communities are lost.

No wonder this country is the way it is.

Janet

it would imply theres thousands of council houses empty to move to,of course the council housing is so short immigrants are put up in guest houses or "condemned"whole tower blocks ,of course our lot can be just left on the streets so in theory it would be cheaper for councils to give train fairs to their homeless to other places so they can live in a cardboard box in some other councils alleyways so theoretically the scheme could work but the flaw is there isnt jobs to move to

the council housing needs sorting there's a lone woman living in a 5 bed in the next village and i expect half council occupants in reality could afford to rent privately ,we have plenty (but never enough) of council houses but many lived in by people who dont need them or immigrants who shouldnt have them as by the rules they are intentionally homeless thus under the rules we have to abide to there's no lawful need to house them.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Why should people have to move away from their local area and their friends/relatives etc? That's the way that whole communities are lost.

From the individual's point of view, what's the alternative? Sitting around on the dole moaning that the world doesn't owe them a living isn't achieving anything for themselves or their community, and if the community has no work it's doomed anyway. Better to create or find work in your community, but if you can't do that, go to where the work is. Hardly anyone I know round here grew up here, that's the way of the world.

moving to where there is work is better than sitting on your arris moaning about it. Not something everyone can do, given barriers like relying on grandparents for childcare and the cost and difficulty of selling houses at the moment.

From that report..

The proposed scheme would allow them to go to the top of the housing list in another area rather than lose their right to a home if they moved.

That will produce a totally different set of moans !.... from those they displace.

You might say I have had it easy, as I have had continuous employment throughout my working life.

However, if ever I had felt in danger of losing my job, I would have been "on my bike" looking for work long before Norman Tebbitt advised me to do so. Could never understand why he was so vilified over that - as in fact he never actually told anyone to do it - merely stated that that is what his father did.

Contrary to what "progressive " politicians would have you believe, the world doesn't owe anyone a living.

Its a bit like fishing really - if you are not catching, you need to do summat different - or move!.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

In the case of a young single person, I don't see why social housing arrangements would even be an issue - rent a bloody bedsit or lodge in a shared house until you can afford better. If Eastern European economic migrants can do it, why someone born here can't figure it out is beyond me.

From that report..

The proposed scheme would allow them to go to the top of the housing list in another area rather than lose their right to a home if they moved.

That will produce a totally different set of moans !.... from those they displace.

You might say I have had it easy, as I have had continuous employment throughout my working life.

However, if ever I had felt in danger of losing my job, I would have been "on my bike" looking for work long before Norman Tebbitt advised me to do so. Could never understand why he was so vilified over that - as in fact he never actually told anyone to do it - merely stated that that is what his father did.

Contrary to what "progressive " politicians would have you believe, the world doesn't owe anyone a living.

Its a bit like fishing really - if you are not catching, you need to do summat different - or move!.

Agree entirely.

I have done it all of my working life, sometimes my wife came with me, sometimes she stayed at wherever home was at the time.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

In the case of a young single person, I don't see why social housing arrangements would even be an issue - rent a bloody bedsit or lodge in a shared house until you can afford better. If Eastern European economic migrants can do it, why someone born here can't figure it out is beyond me.

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why this is seen as contentious!

So far I have moved from Norfolk, to south London, to Oxfordshire, purely for work. I am not rich and do not come from a rich family. If you happen to live somewhere that has few if any job opportunities (like me in Norfolk) you can either do something about it or sit around moaning.

I saw someone on the news who wasn't even prepared to move from one side of London to the other for work. When I lived there (in a very grotty and unpleasant part the wrong side of the river) I had a job right across town, right up in the NW. A long walk followed by 3 tubes to work, a hard day's work, and the same home, on a very low salary. People just can't be bothered.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music