Spade end hooks.

HERUTILUS

Try speed fishing for roach and rudd, on the drop, with 2 identical setups bar the hooks and I practically guarantee the spades win hands down. Nay, I would suggest the eyed hooks don't even get a look in.

I fully agree with you on that Andy and I expect most Roach chasers on here will, and for many other species, try the test on some fast moving Dace or Grayling there is no comparison

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herutilus,I presume you dont use really small hooks such as 18 and below? Imagine the size of an eye on a size 22 hook for example and you will understand why we use spade ends in these sizes.

Hello Mr Budgie, :)

You're quite right Mr B, I never, ever, use hooks as small as a No.22; hells teeth mate, I have a job on seeing the eye on a size 12! <_<

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated indeed.

Another question though, what do you go out to catch using hooks as small as no's 18 & 22? <_<

Regards,

Herutilus :)

Anything from bream down to gudgeon really! Its more situation dependant rather than species in that when a small bait and fine presentation is required small hooks are best. Fishing in clear water in winter for roach is a good example.

Match anglers who are after any species use 1.1 bottoms and size 22-20 hooks as standard when using single maggot hook baits.When using bloodworm then hooks as small as 26 are common.

Try using fine line and small hooks for most species and you will be supprised at how many more bites you get.

But of course it works both ways in as much as a single maggot on a size 12 hook would be as crap as a 1" cube of luncheon meat fished on a size 18!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Anything from bream down to gudgeon really! Its more situation dependant rather than species in that when a small bait and fine presentation is required small hooks are best. Fishing in clear water in winter for roach is a good example.

Match anglers who are after any species use 1.1 bottoms and size 22-20 hooks as standard when using single maggot hook baits.When using bloodworm then hooks as small as 26 are common.

Try using fine line and small hooks for most species and you will be supprised at how many more bites you get.

But of course it works both ways in as much as a single maggot on a size 12 hook would be as crap as a 1" cube of luncheon meat fished on a size 18!

1" cube of luncheon meat works well with a size 18 hook although a size 20 might be more fun...forget your size 10 and 12 for floating bread crust use a size 16 or 18...Now guys and girls don't knock it until you try it. A 15lb Barbel on a size 14 or even a 16 is a real experience...and banging out small Roach and Dace in shallows will increase your speed at striking especially on a size 22 or 24 using a varnished matchstick for a float or a mini quill...I might need glasses to put a maggot on the hook exactly as I want it but I see no need for all the heavy tackle used by so many these days, where is the fun and skill of playing a fish on heavy tackle.

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

What's the knot called Leon? I never understand the diagrams but have found a site with animated knots, it might be there.

I'd always use SE if I could be confident of tying the knot, I have a hook tyer but even with that it's too fiddly. If there's a way of tying eyed hooks and achieveing SE presentation I'll give that a go.

Edit: ooops is it the snelling?

Come to the Kennet with me when you are free - I'll show you. It's easy.

If you can whip on a rod eye, you can do this.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Come to the Kennet with me when you are free - I'll show you. It's easy.

If you can whip on a rod eye, you can do this.

Mike

I'll take you up on that offer Mike. I've been giving me knots a bit of thought and concluded that I don't pay enough attention to presentation, I usually end up with crinkly line just above the hook despite spitting on the knot before tightening.

I've been practising with different knots (trilene, uni and clinch) with the same result, can't get the hang of the snell though.

This is a good site for animated examples;

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Dear Wataload, <_<

No need to be nasty, I was only arsking. ;)

Regards not,

H

Any question frequently results in a serious discussion from which many of the rest of us can benefit. I have read the subsequent posts with interest and quite frankly I have been surprised by the support the spade end has enjoyed. I use spade ends when I am fishing for smaller fish here in Oz and I still have some of the lovely blue wire spade ends that I used to buy when I lived in the UK. I do have some much larger spades of around 5/0 and I also frequently heat and bend the eye on 5/0s backwards and use the spade end knot to secure them. I put the line through the eye and then whip to the shank. I like the attitude of the hook on the line better than if I simply tie to the hook's eye. Of course I also use the eye on many occasions - it just depends on what I am doing and what I am hoping to catch.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Any question frequently results in a serious discussion from which many of the rest of us can benefit.

Absolutely, since this thread started I've practised SE tying with a hook tyer and without, the one time (out of 20) that I got it right the line was cut by the sharp SE edge (Drennan hooks). I've also tried SE knots on straight eyed hooks, that didn't work either, presentation was crap.

In desperation I tried the Palomar knot and was able to tie it on eyed hooks without ending up with crinkly line. It has the benefit of two line thicknesses supporting the hook so I'm happy.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Absolutely, since this thread started I've practised SE tying with a hook tyer and without, the one time (out of 20) that I got it right the line was cut by the sharp SE edge (Drennan hooks). I've also tried SE knots on straight eyed hooks, that didn't work either, presentation was crap.

In desperation I tried the Palomar knot and was able to tie it on eyed hooks without ending up with crinkly line. It has the benefit of two line thicknesses supporting the hook so I'm happy.

LOL Rusty, you just need someone there with you to actually show you how to tye them, there so easy m8 once you get the hang of it. I wish I could show you myself. If you live near Arbocop nip over for a lesson. :)