River fishing and water levels

tiddlertamer

This week offers a bit of an Indian summer with temperatures up to 24 degrees in the south.

However the days grow shorter and Autumn is well and truly here.

Autumn is regarded by many as one of the finest times to fish rivers with higher water levels and a reduction in acquatic vegetation.

I have only fished once in the past fortnight and that coincided with a downpour which put a flash flood through the upper reaches of the Lea.

Other than that though, we don't appear to have had much rain recently.

What are the conditions like on your local river? Low, clear and tough or picking up as Autumn arrives?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

What are the conditions like on your local river? Low, clear and tough or picking up as Autumn arrives?

The Kennet is low-ish, clear but still very fishable. I've only seen the Lambourn from driving over a bridge and it looked worryingly short of water, wouldn't like the Indian Summer to last too long.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

This week offers a bit of an Indian summer with temperatures up to 24 degrees in the south.

However the days grow shorter and Autumn is well and truly here.

Autumn is regarded by many as one of the finest times to fish rivers with higher water levels and a reduction in acquatic vegetation.

I have only fished once in the past fortnight and that coinided with a downpour which put a flash flood through the upper reaches of the Lea.

Other than that though, we don't appear to have had much rain recently.

Following a very wet weekend the Ribble has been carrying up to about 4m of chocolate coloured flood water today.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...?stationId=5122

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

There all in spate round here...rippin through and look like hot chocolate !

My local small river is dropping from yesterday though, it's dropped about 2 1/2 to 3ft. It was in the fields yesterday.

If there's no more downpours it should be lookin good for tomorrow or even Wednesday.

I fished my little Bristol Avon tributary for barbel on Sunday - gin clear and hardly any water in it. I had a barbel of about 4lb feeding in front of me for a while, but surrounded by small chub up to about 2lb. Couldn't get a bait to it. I fished blind for a while in another swim where I caught a chub of a pound or so, then gave up and headed back to my first swim. Unfortunately, a couple of lads had turned up and nabbed that swim and the only other one with any depth to it, so I went home.

Needs lots of rain.

River Roding looking low but has a green ting to it river stort slow moving as always but down at the mo. going give this a try this week and leave the Roding until we have had some decent rain.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Following a very wet weekend the Ribble has been carrying up to about 4m of chocolate coloured flood water today.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...?stationId=5122

Interesting that, from eyeballing I would've said that the Kennet is lower than suggested by the EA.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...?stationId=7122

Edit: Ah, just re-eyballed the graph and it makes sense.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

They're all still desperately low here still. The only exception is the thames, which is about normal level but as yet, no flow. We need an awful lot of rain to get things moving. It's a shame, what I really fancy now is a day's trotting but I think it'll have to wait a few weeks! Same old story here, feast or famine.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Interesting that, from eyeballing I would've said that the Kennet is lower than suggested by the EA.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...?stationId=7122

Edit: Ah, just re-eyballed the graph and it makes sense.

Why is it that a big flood on the Kennet would be 30cm of extra water, but on the Ribble it would be 5m of it?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Why is it that a big flood on the Kennet would be 30cm of extra water, but on the Ribble it would be 5m of it?

Presumably because the Kennet is a chalk stream and levels are usually very stable on spring fed waters.

Just a guess, I've never seen the river.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.