help with perch preperation

nomnomj

Good point, Newt, though if so perhaps there would be better information from his countrymen - may as well ask for pork recipes on an Iranian cookery site ;)

For what it's worth, when I had perch in Finland, we gutted them, removed the gills and then hot smoked them over juniper twigs and ate them with some plain boiled potatoes and a beer - finest fish meal I can remember eating!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another example of why (IMO) members should have to put their location and real name in their profiles. Just helps them get better answers and others from jumping to the wrong conclusion.What harm would it do?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

hi, thanks for the replys,

i am english and live in england for whoever asked, ive just never concidered this so dont know the laws, the question was asked out of curiosity more than anything.

sorry i wasnt more specific, i have never taken a fish before, not even for bait, but... well i cant remember what put the idea in to my head about taking one for consumption, but most other countries that i can think of dont have a problem with you taking them, i think i also remember reading that the US and australia have introduced the UK species in to their waters. and in the US they are specifically named on menus at resaraunts. anyway

the waters i was talking about are council owned, what are the rules regarding taking fish from there?

the link posted (thanks) said 'If there is no obvious owner to ask for permission, you are not allowed to remove any fish.' well i know the owner is, the council, but i cant exactly write to them to ask permission.

and yes i see the fish is bigger than the one i caught, ok i dont measure and wieght them, when i catch a decent sized one i just use my hands as a rough measure( to keep a mental image), so if you can imagine an adults hands (large) and point your fingers together and overlap your middle fingernails (from end of hand to end of other hand) that was the size of the biggest perch i caught. ... just got a tape measure out its about 36cm. again im quite a newbie so dont know what a good size of certain species are.

thanks again

sorry i didnt notice the second page :lol: the reason i havent added my personnal info is because it wont let me. i am new to this forum and it says You are not allowed to use this part of the board. maube it will stay that way untill i have passed the 16 post checking period IDK.

I've never eaten perch or used them for bait but in my case, its a location thing because they aren't a commonly caught fish and I've never had one of much more than 2-3 ounces. I don't have all the ownership issues you have to deal with.

In the UK, I think you really need to plan on catch and release unless you are fishing in salt water.

That said, you can get pretty good advice and friendly conversations around here on most other topics.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

'If there is no obvious owner to ask for permission, you are not allowed to remove any fish.' well i know the owner is, the council, but i cant exactly write to them to ask permission.

Why can't you write to the council and ask permission? I'm guessing they will say no but if you want to take fish for food then this is the only way you can legally do it. Personally I would hope they say no but that is just my personal opinion. Hope you find an answer from somewhere.

Errrm

i know the owner is, the council, but i cant exactly write to them to ask permission.

Oh yes you can! You have access to the internet, obviously...go onto their web page and there will be a "Contact Us" tab somewhere...send your enquiry and it will be passed to the relevant department. All Councils have an obligation to respond within a certain time frame, so you should get your answer within a reasonably short space of time.

I have to concur with Errrm...I also hope they say no...taking specimen coarse fish for the table is just not acceptable in this country.

You say you've seen perch on restaurant menus? Well, so have I, when I was in Egypt and in Lanzarote, but not in this country. These species of perch are completely different to the ones we have here..

Janet

No more comments from me...I was taught never to feed the trolls...

My personal view is that it's madness we can't take the odd fish of a sensible size to eat. A situation that I really believe will come back to haunt us in the future. But we are where we are, so unless the council allows you permission, you won't be legally entitled to do so.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I do find this really puzzling.

Previously on this forum it's been argued that our right to fish is entirely based on our right to take fish for the table. I haven't looked back but I'm also sure that the accepted view is that should that right be removed it would fuel the case for the anti-angling brigade.

Why then are we now discouraging the taking of a fish to eat (assuming the taking is legal)? Is it because it's a specimen that we'd like to be photographed with or is it because the taking of a fish that size would harm the futiure growth of the species? How can we argue in one breath that we should be allowed to eat our catch but in the next breath state that for certain species it's not really acceptable in the UK?

All the OP is doing is asking how to prepare a perch for the table. Provided he does nothing illegal isn't he supporting the crusade??????

It's never a 'six', let's put it back