The future of fishing

Peter M

Guest allibee

There has been a lot of talking slamming RMC's new 'bagging' water at Thorpe Lea near Staines. Went there to watch Tight Lines filming yesterday and - as usual - it was packed to the brim 100% full of anglers having a good time, getting plenty of bites and I'd say that the majority of the people there were either kids, or people with kids.

Waters like Thorpe Lea are the starting point for hooking our kids and a point of reprieve for when we are blanking ourselves into a stupour. No matter what people may say, they are the way forward

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A way forward, not the way forward surely Allibee. Yes, I think for some folk they are a way forward. But I really do think the false sense of success is doing no one any long term favours.

That both pike & barbel from wild waters have become so popular is, surely, an indication that not all of us want McDonalds style predigested angling. RMC really is the Mills and Boon of angling!!

Guest allibee

Mills and Boon ... roflmao :)

I think we have to provide for the future of the sport at child level first and foremost. Without new generations there IS no future. Not that many kids start off fishing for pike or barbel, however, once hooked, they may well move on - and hopefully will. But I can promise you there will be no shortage of Mills and Boon libraries popping up and it is a great kindergarten for the kids to learn on - safely - before moving on to other arenas of angling.

I started fishing on rivers when I was 5 for trout. Using maggots. Caught little but I enjoyed it lol. After 10years of fishing I have returned back to fishing the rivers and only turn to still waters when the close season is on and even then I never go to carp puddles :P

I hate fishing when it isnt a challenge :rolleyes:

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Peter, why should kids be condemned to fish only naturally stocked waters, most are in fact poorly stocked and I have fished enough of them in my 56 years fishing.

Most normal anglers are constantly keeping one ear open for info on well stocked waters.

I tell you what puts young kids off fishing

.....it is struggling and often failing to catch anything on the poor rate waters that you seem to think they should learn the hard way on.

Not my idea of attracting them to our sport, I had enough of that sort of fishing when I was a kid, but at least in those days most kids could get away with a bit of "poaching"

Nowadays they get confronted with "Private" signs wherever they go, every decent bit of water is controlled by some club or syndicate, very few do day tickets, so thank goodness there are the commercials to go to.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I'm not sure Den that I am condemning 'kids' to only fish naturelly stocked waters. My suggestion was that there is more to life than Mills & Boon, that eventually a reader who had started with 'easy' reading would eventually move on to Borrow, or Kipling or one of the more modern 'quality' writers. Most of us enjoy a McDonalds, but nice to go to a good restaurant for a decent steak now and again.

It is sad when some kids are lead to believe that there is only one fish worth fishing for. Makes for a very shallow appreciation of angling don't you think?

At the moment my local Broad is fishing its nuts off! And not a day ticket in sight, and the only carp are to those in the know!

The recent success of Mark Barrett is worth noting.

"...why should kids be condemned to fish only naturally stocked waters."

"Most normal anglers are constantly keeping one ear open for info on well stocked waters."

Aah, bless 'em.

Let's start by taking them to an overstocked puddle where the starving carp have to eat anglers' baits to survive. They'll catch a netfull and think they're brilliant (especially if they're accompanied by a patronising adult who will tell them so every few minutes).

Once they've got the hang of that, they can be delivered to a specimen lake (probably illegally stocked with foreign carp) and learn to set up camp behind the buzzers, then retire into their bivvies until the inevitable big carp has hung itself. Then the patronising adult can tell them how VERY celever they are.

Meanwhile, the poor kids who are "condemned" to fish natural waters - oh, the shame of it - will probably have to seek counselling because of the utter failure of their elders to turn them into instant successful anglers.

Sorry Alibee and Poledark, but you are talking nonsense. Unless you have earned your success, then that success is meaningless. And do you really think kids are so stupid that they can't see that?

And as for most "normal" anglers looking for such cheap thrills, you should know better, Poledark. They can't be normal anglers, because if adults have to resort to such extremes to delude themselves, they aren't even anglers. They're a joke.

Sorry, but it's cr*p like that that's making a mockery of angling. If you can't catch fish without somebody artifically stacking the odds in your favour to make up for your own ineptitude, you should get out of the sport and take up something meaningless elsewhere.

And, just returning to the this nonsense... what happens when a kid wants to play football? Do you make the goalposts wider? Do you pay the other team to let him win?

Get real. Too much Nanny State Britain has clearly addled your brains.

Kids are naturally inquisitive. They want to learn how to catch wild creatures. They want to learn watercraft. And they are a damn sight more intelligent that some adults who patronise them.

Fenboy

"...why should kids be condemned to fish only naturally stocked waters."

"Most normal anglers are constantly keeping one ear open for info on well stocked waters."

Aah, bless 'em.

Let's start by taking them to an overstocked puddle where the starving carp have to eat anglers' baits to survive. They'll catch a netfull and think they're brilliant (especially if they're accompanied by a patronising adult who will tell them so every few minutes).

Once they've got the hang of that, they can be delivered to a specimen lake (probably illegally stocked with foreign carp) and learn to set up camp behind the buzzers, then retire into their bivvies until the inevitable big carp has hung itself. Then the patronising adult can tell them how VERY celever they are.

Meanwhile, the poor kids who are "condemned" to fish natural waters - oh, the shame of it - will probably have to seek counselling because of the utter failure of their elders to turn them into instant successful anglers.

Sorry Alibee and Poledark, but you are talking nonsense. Unless you have earned your success, then that success is meaningless. And do you really think kids are so stupid that they can't see that?

And as for most "normal" anglers looking for such cheap thrills, you should know better, Poledark. They can't be normal anglers, because if adults have to resort to such extremes to delude themselves, they aren't even anglers. They're a joke.

Sorry, but it's cr*p like that that's making a mockery of angling. If you can't catch fish without somebody artifically stacking the odds in your favour to make up for your own ineptitude, you should get out of the sport and take up something meaningless elsewhere.

And, just returning to the this nonsense... what happens when a kid wants to play football? Do you make the goalposts wider? Do you pay the other team to let him win?

Get real. Too much Nanny State Britain has clearly addled your brains.

Kids are naturally inquisitive. They want to learn how to catch wild creatures. They want to learn watercraft. And they are a damn sight more intelligent that some adults who patronise them.

Fenboy

I suppose that was worth saying twice Fenboy :D

Sorry but I totally disagree, kids should be encouraged to fish on easy waters, even those that are heavily stocked with Silver fish ( yes I do know they exist)

You seem to have some sort of rainbow image of fishing, whereby a kid goes fishing with his dad or uncle to a secluded bit of river or a quiet little "estate" type lake and they catch Tench at dawn, roach to 1lb during the morning and switch to the pike rod when Esox invades the swim.

They both go home into the setting sun with there single rods over one shoulder and small rucksack over the other.

Sorry mate, that's for Mr Crabtree, it is just not reality, never was and never will be.

What IS real is the pleasure that kids get from catching fish, OK some of em grow up to be assholes but they would have done so anyway.

What is real are the restrictions that kids face nowadays with queers and perverts at every corner (yes they were around the ponds I used to fish)

Lets ask a question shall we? How many of you older blokes on here would willingly go back to how we used to fish and the type of fishing we had to deal with?

How many of you can say with hand on your heart that you really caught more fish when you were younger?

For my part I know I used to struggle to catch fish most times, unless they were 4 and 5 inch roach from the local pond. How many years should I have had to put up with that Fenboy?

The magic is still there to those that have the eyes, but if you are constantly moaning about "The Good Old Days" then you will always be dissapointed cos they didn't really exist!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic