Most Exotic Place To Fish

Elton

DMCA:

Zane Grey had all the time and money to go wherever he wanted for as long as he wanted and he called New Zealand the Angler's Eldorado.

Even built a boat and sailed it across the Atlantic to get there. In fact, one of his boats, the Alma G, 80 years old, still takes charters!

When I was a teenager we were too poor to own a telly so I used to get books from the library to while away the long winter nights. I borrowed some of Zane Greys books (the ones he wrote about fishing, not the cowboy ones, although they are good too). In one of them he wrote about catching suckers and catfish in the river that flowed through his hometown. In the others he wrote about catching marlin and broadbill swordfish. I was fascinated by it all and dreamed about one day fishing like this, knowing it would never happen.

Many years later I emigrated to the USA. My job took me all over the USA (well a lot of it). One day I was driving along the interstate and passed by Zanesville, Ohio, Zane Grey's hometown. I pulled off and strolled down the bankside for a couple of miles. I sat down beside a slack below a bend and wondered if, in the past, Zane Grey had sat at that very same spot and caught his suckers. I think he did.

Since then I have vacationed twice in Florida but never found time to fish but did manage to talk to anglers coming in from the sea with their wahoo, snook, etc. I hope to retire next year and to do a little travelling before returning to the land of my birth. Maybe then I will fish in the places of my long ago dreams. If I don't, it's my own fault.

Hang on to your dreams, lads, they may come true.

Hillbilly,

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fred Guttfield

Last summer I went to Thailand for a while and had great fun drifting over a reef in a tiny canoe casting floating plugs around on a telescopic rod I took with me! I don't know what I was catching (big sharp teeth) but it was certainly exotic - the backdrop was the island where they filmed 'The Beach'!

I went big game fishing off Mauritius when on honeymoon, The wife sunbathed :)

Caught plenty of fish, saw flying fish, dolphins and whales. Beautiful place

Paul Singleton

I spent a week at the Ramada Gulf View, in Clearwater. Fished alot just an arms length from the pool bar. (I was not fishing in the pool!!!!) I caught a few bits, but one fish did get me going. It was a Red fish(!)of about 6-7lbs. Told the guy at the bait shop where I was buying my live shrimp (more like super king prawns!!) from, &he said he would have given me $35 for it..... I never caught another Red fish. Maybe next time, eh??

fisherking:

I know you live in the area Hereford but I must correct you mate.

Docklow Pools is in the county of Hereford and Worcester.

John.

Sorry John, but the last time I was in Hereford, Hereford was Hereford and Worcester was Worcester.

They were lumped together at one time but are now seperate counties again as far as I know

Dave

[ 10 July 2002, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: fisherman ]

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

fisherking:

I know you live in the area Hereford but I must correct you mate.

Docklow Pools is in the county of Hereford and Worcester.

John.

Sorry fisherking the two Counties were split again about three years ago, Hereford lives in Herefordshire and I live in Worcestershire :P

[ 12 July 2002, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

A few years ago I visited Brisbane Australia and then flew on to Hamilton Island on the Great Barrier Reef. Here I fished on an impoundment and caught Barramundi. That was very exotic!!

Unfortnately, the Marlin fishing I had planned for the last day had to be cancelled due to rough weather...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Lloret De Mar and Barcelona for Wrasse and Bass and lots of multi coloured things that the locals wanted for eating.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

[QB]

quote:

Originally posted by DMCA:

[qb]Even built a boat and sailed it across the Atlantic to get there. [qb]

Did I really say Atlantic? Only just noticed! Good job ZG didn't have me as navigator or he'd have been fishing in the Azores. Mind you...

Originally posted by RED HILLBILLY:

I borrowed some of Zane Greys books...[qb]

You've inspired me to go re-read some of them...been looking at the compilation 'ZG's Fishing Adventures'..just read about the drunken Texan's six-hour battle with a Mexican Tarpon almost 8 feet long!

There's a quotation at the back of the book that seems relevant to the discussions on AN:

"A good rule of angling philosphy is not to interfere with any fisherman's peculiar ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated."

[qb]Hang on to your dreams, lads, they may come true.[qb]

Zane Grey died of a heart attack when only 56 or 57...he got in a lot of dreams before then.