Mice in the garden

Peter M

I wouldn't have thought mice would be attracted to bird feed, that would be rats. I also fail to see why anyone is concerned about mice in the garden - that's where they live. I wouldn't stop feeding the birds as mice are everywhere and need a little help over winter the same as the next animal. As I said, if it was rats then I'd be more inclined to lay off the feed - or humanely eliminate them.

Rob.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also fail to see why anyone is concerned about mice in the garden - that's where they live.

Right - they are probably field mice or wood mice. They very rarely enter buildings. They might dig up and eat peas in springtime if you plant any, but there are deterrents you can use.Setting mousetraps in the garden sounds obsessive-compulsive to me - somebody should explain the population dynamics of mice to him.

Its house mice that are the real pests - the ones in my garage live on landing-net mesh :wallbash:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yep, baiting mouse traps next to a woodland is just sheer stupidity, if he accuses you of putting food out again then tell him to smear his body with honey, lie next to a wood ants nest & offer to swat any ant that tries to lick the honey off untill they stop coming.

He might get the idea of what an obsessive prat he's being.

He could be done for killing a water vole or dormouse in one of his traps, im not sure about short tailed field voles.

Just to keep the thread on the boil for Chesters & Cory though, i'm just pouring myself a glass of devils aadvocat & i'll be off to check my giant panda trap. :black_eye::bangin:

Right - they are probably field mice or wood mice. They very rarely enter buildings. They might dig up and eat peas in springtime if you plant any, but there are deterrents you can use.Setting mousetraps in the garden sounds obsessive-compulsive to me - somebody should explain the population dynamics of mice to him.

Its house mice that are the real pests - the ones in my garage live on landing-net mesh :wallbash:

I've only seeen field mice in my house once, when I lived in Glasgow. The council decided to clear about an acre of waste ground that had been lying "fallow" for about 5 years, untouched by human hand as it were.

My flat shared a border with this plot and my flat was inundated with the mice. I knew the were field mice and I tried to put up with them, but after a week or so I cracked and bought mouse traps.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I've only seeen field mice in my house once,

Yes, they do sometimes enter buildings, as your somewhat unusual circumstance showed. It happened to us once

Norma left the top off the bird-seed bin in the shed, so we got this woodmouse (AKA the long-tailed fieldmouse) pay us a visit. He must have made a huge jump to get in the bin - the size of his hind feet shows how ! Unlike house mice, the wood/field mouse does not have a mousy odour - jolly looking little chap, isn't he ?

woodmouse2.jpg

We used to have the yellow-necked wood/field mouse here in Sussex, but I have not seen one for some years.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

If your houses back onto woodland, your neighbour is nuts if he thinks he can rid the neighbourhood of mice.

Exactly what i was thinking and i may have to point this out to him next time i see him. Oh and chseters if i could find some legislation that said he could not put mouse traps in his garden i would be on the phone like a rocket to report him. At the moment my wife and i are laying off putting bird food out for a while and we will get some bird feeders rahter than just putting it on the table. i only have seen one in the garden and it looked like a wood mouse to me. He is a bit of a **** and his wife is a bit pathetic. thanks for the replies one and all.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Yes, they do sometimes enter buildings, as your somewhat unusual circumstance showed. It happened to us once

Norma left the top off the bird-seed bin in the shed, so we got this woodmouse (AKA the long-tailed fieldmouse) pay us a visit. He must have made a huge jump to get in the bin - the size of his hind feet shows how ! Unlike house mice, the wood/field mouse does not have a mousy odour - jolly looking little chap, isn't he ?

We used to have the yellow-necked wood/field mouse here in Sussex, but I have not seen one for some years.

Yes Dave, I was loathe to trap them, but after two weeks of nibbled cornflake packets and half scoffed digestives something had to give.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

If a badger was caught in a fox trap or an owl in a magpie trap and you killed them instead of releasing them then you would be commiting an offence.

It is an offence to interfere with badgers in any way.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/51/contents

Do you really think the average person gives a toss for the laws the government makes after putting up with 10 years of restrictions, moronic laws being passed, loss of civil rights and loss of personal rights, during which time the government was breaking and bending the rules and laws just to fill their personal coffers...dream on.

You should also remember that we are policed by consent and looking at the way the police bend the laws to suit themselves and their friends and brothers, such consent is likely to be withdrawn any day now...history of any country, teaches people what happens when too many restrictions are placed on Mr. Average, when Mr. Average's rights are taken away, when Mr. Average feels he is being over taxed for no benefit to himself, when Mr. Average just decides enough is enough...its not pretty.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Do you really think the average person gives a toss for the laws the government makes after putting up with 10 years of restrictions, moronic laws being passed, loss of civil rights and loss of personal rights, during which time the government was breaking and bending the rules and laws just to fill their personal coffers...dream on.

You should also remember that we are policed by consent and looking at the way the police bend the laws to suit themselves and their friends and brothers, such consent is likely to be withdrawn any day now...history of any country, teaches people what happens when too many restrictions are placed on Mr. Average, when Mr. Average's rights are taken away, when Mr. Average feels he is being over taxed for no benefit to himself, when Mr. Average just decides enough is enough...its not pretty.

I must not be Mr Average then. I was brought up to respect the law, period.

Don't forget that 50% of the people you know are below average.

Edited by corydoras

I must not be Mr Average then. I was brought up to respect the law, period.

RESPONSE:

So was I and I did right up until it stopped respecting the very people whom it was created to serve, protect and assist and who pays its wages.

Don't forget that 50% of the people you know are below average.

RESPONSE:

Finding Mr. Average is very difficult I fully realise.

Currently I venture a guess that nearly 80% of the indigenous population regardless of sex, race, colour, religion, creed, roots or lifestyle have had enough. Simple example: driving offenses, failure to comply with council rules, regulations, increase of thefts from employers, a booming black economy. Just read through the posts on here it does not take rocket science to see people attitudes, binge drinking, increase in the use of drugs, more no go areas where crime is rife. I could go on all night.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God