anyone braving the cold this weekend?

viney

Hi John and yes it is the Gipping. I fish the river from Stowmarket right down to Ipswich and there are some lovely swims if you are prepared to do a bit of walking and research. At different times of the year and in particular stretches away from the more popular areas it can hold some very good fish. At this time of the year right through to March when the river is right there are some cracking Roach and Chub to be had if you know where to go. I often get my wife to drop me off at some point then walk the river and she picks me up later at some pre arranged point. In my opinion a very under rated river but you do need to be mobile to get the best from it.

I thought it was the Gipping is that controlled by G.A.P.'s or G.V.A.C, or is it a Stowmarket club. I was thinking of joining one but riverbank walking are out for me so i could only fish the easily accessible spots. Most likely near Sproughton.

On the snowy outlook we have about an inch roughly halfway between Hadleigh and Sudbury and its snowing like mad.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought it was the Gipping is that controlled by G.A.P.'s or G.V.A.C, or is it a Stowmarket club. I was thinking of joining one but riverbank walking are out for me so i could only fish the easily accessible spots. Most likely near Sproughton.

Most of the river is controlled by G.A.P.S, with G.V.A.C and Munton & Fisons having a few small sretches but there are also some free fishing stretches. When I first moved to Suffolk, I commuted from the midlands for over 12 months so I had a lot of free time much of which was spent walking the Gipping and of course other interesting venues in the Suffolk/Essex area. In the past the river was navigable from Ipswich to Stowmarket and although it changed considerably since those times it is a very interesting little river. During the years I have been fishing the river it has thrown up a whole range of species that include Carp, Bream, Tench, Perch, Roach, Dace, Chub, Gudgeon, Rudd, Eels, Pike and Minnows plus a Terrapin. There are times when you could be static and bag up but I much prefer to be on the move.

Hi Tincatinca

Its weird how our local rivers stour and gipping can look so inviting for about 10 days per year and they are generally wednesdays or thursdays when most of us are working.

Never mind I have made my mind up I am fishing allday tommorrow even though we now have 3 inches of snow Norwich won and ipswich are 3 nil at half time.

I may still swap between chub roach or dace with bomb rod avon rod or pole.

regards

john

Snows about 14inch round these ere parts so anyone going fishing really does need to be sectioned !

Tigger your only over the hills from me and 14" in Yorkshire is nothing, I will be fishing tomorrow. can tell you Lancashire folk arent bred hard...lol :lol:

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi Tincatinca

Its weird how our local rivers stour and gipping can look so inviting for about 10 days per year and they are generally wednesdays or thursdays when most of us are working.

john

You are certainly right there John. The river can fish exceptionally well when it is fining down after rain but being so flat the water soon runs off and back to virtually no flow. The colour today was spot on but now it is snowing though having said that I caught my biggest Roach in a snow storm in a little river not dissimilar to the Gipping. All set up now ready to go with a float rod and quiver rod. Only job to do is to make some paste. There are a few spots where the pole could be the edge and I really should give it a go.

Tigger your only over the hills from me and 14" in Yorkshire is nothing, I will be fishing tomorrow. can tell you Lancashire folk arent bred hard...lol :lol:

It is actually up to my knees so not easy walking and to be honest George "me back's been killing me for a month now" and I don't think standing round in the cold will help so I'll leave it until after a thaw i think. I reckon if I had such good grayling rivers as you near by though I'd be out myself so in truth i don't blame you for getting out...good luck to you !

By the way they just breed em daft round here....self included LOL.

By the way they just breed em daft round here....self included LOL.

LMAO, I cant talk Im a scotsman living in Yorkshire, Now there is a combination....lol

It isnt as bad over here at the moment with the snow you seem to have now got what we had 2 weeks ago and your welcome to keep it...lol ;)

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Will be up early for a hour or two's deadbaiting fancy it will very cold thought local airport already at -8 so it might be a waste of time.....but hey you only live once :D

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

It isnt as bad over here at the moment with the snow you seem to have now got what we had 2 weeks ago and your welcome to keep it...lol ;)

Oh right, thank's for that George but i'd prefer you to have kept it over there ;):lol:

Most of the river is controlled by G.A.P.S, with G.V.A.C and Munton & Fisons having a few small sretches but there are also some free fishing stretches. When I first moved to Suffolk, I commuted from the midlands for over 12 months so I had a lot of free time much of which was spent walking the Gipping and of course other interesting venues in the Suffolk/Essex area. In the past the river was navigable from Ipswich to Stowmarket and although it changed considerably since those times it is a very interesting little river. During the years I have been fishing the river it has thrown up a whole range of species that include Carp, Bream, Tench, Perch, Roach, Dace, Chub, Gudgeon, Rudd, Eels, Pike and Minnows plus a Terrapin. There are times when you could be static and bag up but I much prefer to be on the move.

Hi Tincatinca

Many thanks,

A Terrapin ... that's sad.

The Gipping can be a very pretty river although I have been told its hard fishing by a guy in (Birds Tackle) who also told me that Suffolk Water Park has large shoals of Tench from 7lb upwards and 20 plus fish is no unusual catch. However I have always been more a river man in my angling life, which is why the Gipping has been calling to me every time I pass it. I too have noticed the river deteriorating and weed growth narrowing it over the years, it still looks inviting so I think this year I will have to join one of the clubs on the Gipping.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God