Makeing my own

lozza

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I find centre by using this device and a pen, seen here on a cork but same principles apply for everything else I use in float building.

centre.jpg

after that I put it into a press drill and drill down exactly in centre with the drill piece taped off to the depth I want.

PS. For the sceptics/ Stirrers out there this is how I do it, if you do it differently then dont email me critising me Im not interested!

Now I know how you shape the cork but I bet there are a lot who have no idea how its done perhaps you could give them a few pointers. Just an idea.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Now I know how you shape the cork but I bet there are a lot who have no idea how its done perhaps you could give them a few pointers. Just an idea.

There has been a link to a step by step guide on my blog for over 2 years now on how its done, along with other float makers tricks & tips.

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Just for the record I do the same as John just that my jig is made from wood (after reading about Johns some time back!)

Woods ok Budgie, but not as durable as metal. I used to have a 3"x3" aluminium bar with three sets of holes in it, and a set of steel sleeves, so I could drill several different sized holes from 1/16'' to 3/8" in bodies from 1/4" to 1" dia'. It got nicked the same time as the part made centre pin I was making. :angry:

Another little tip for making bodies is to draw the shape, and make a template of half the profile. As you are shaping the body just offer the template to it to make sure you're keeping to the shape you want.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

hey. i've found that finding stuff is very hard and very limited. basically with the stuff on offer would leave you a limited choice and cork shivs in the right size are impossible to find. obviously cork is way more bouyant than balsa so often cork would be favorite.

i've added a link here to my flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brigand_doom/5346096030/

you can see on the left are three progressive stages of stripping and reshaping old cork floats. if you want a cork float this is probably the easiest way to go(?). those old avons were from 'woolies' if my memory serves and i reckon easy enough to get

the other three are sticks, and so more what your after. the first one is drilled for a starlight and the second and third i made specifically for a particular swim. these were made from my girlfriends twig pot (shhhhh! don't tell her!) like, pampas grass or sumsuch and cocktail sticks. the pampas grass would be in any diy store. obviously they still need varnish and paint.

you can do all of the work on the chuck of a drill if your just making them yourself

i also have a pdf on feather inlays in varnish if you like, would be happy to email

p.s. no expert, but there are definitly some stalking this forum

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

hey. i've found that finding stuff is very hard and very limited. basically with the stuff on offer would leave you a limited choice and cork shivs in the right size are impossible to find. obviously cork is way more bouyant than balsa so often cork would be favorite.

i've added a link here to my flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brigand_doom/5346096030/

you can see on the left are three progressive stages of stripping and reshaping old cork floats. if you want a cork float this is probably the easiest way to go(?). those old avons were from 'woolies' if my memory serves and i reckon easy enough to get

the other three are sticks, and so more what your after. the first one is drilled for a starlight and the second and third i made specifically for a particular swim. these were made from my girlfriends twig pot (shhhhh! don't tell her!) like, pampas grass or sumsuch and cocktail sticks. the pampas grass would be in any diy store. obviously they still need varnish and paint.

you can do all of the work on the chuck of a drill if your just making them yourself

i also have a pdf on feather inlays in varnish if you like, would be happy to email

p.s. no expert, but there are definitly some stalking this forum

erm... having just read the whole of this thread i would have to say that my floats may not be sticks proper, still i think (stress on think!) that they will suit the purpose for which i made them

fingers crossed

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

erm... having just read the whole of this thread i would have to say that my floats may not be sticks proper, still i think (stress on think!) that they will suit the purpose for which i made them

fingers crossed

Nothing wrong with that mate if they do the job you want them to then thats all that counts, always nice to see floats made by other people. :thumbs:

There has been a link to a step by step guide on my blog for over 2 years now on how its done, along with other float makers tricks & tips.

People need reminding and a gentle guide to where to go.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

People need reminding and a gentle guide to where to go.

Without giving too much of a gentle guide look at my signature in every post I do it contains a big float appearing simply click it...cant be any simpler than that... the blog is the very 1st button you will see lol :thumbs:

Edited by George387

good blog. wish i'd seen it ages ago! interesting to see your rod restoration too. i'm in the middle of mine. i chose to do it in pearsalls to get that semi-transparent finish ( pearsalls green with purple tippings).

i had read some warnings about having aspirin ready and thought it was a joke, but it actually gives me a physical headache!