Mullet Seined netted in Cornwall

76jerry

In the past couple of weeks 15 ton of Mullet have been seined netted of the beaches around the Newquay area for beer money, some where returned because they did not want the price to crash .Coarse anglers get all emotive about Otters eating a few of there fish but here we have the two legged rats doing much more damage to fish stocks, and in the sea when there gone there gone there is no restocking and all done for short term greed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every winter it's the same, been happening for years, haven't seen a shortage of mullet unless you go to christchurch where they recon there is and have banned anglers from taking them along with the bass. Netting off the beach is a sustainable method that needs commending. If they managed that many in such a localised area, think of how many that must have got away. I just hope that they managed to sell, distribute them while they was still fresh as opposed to looking at the awful cr@ppy one's you see on fish mongers slabs that only the brave would consider eating.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

They go to a commerial market that,s how I know many tons are being netted and is wideley reported in local rags . Sustainability to this bunch of knuckle draggers is if they can catch them then there is plenty, we are talking about the whole of the U K population overwintering. These fish have little commercial value unlike Bass . This is surpose to be angling forum which I find unbliveable surport netting of a fine sporting fish. The flounders are no more eels are a memory what are we going to fish for ?

I,m not going to look, as i know it is fact but the same time last year there was exactly the same topic posted on this web forum, moaning about commercial netting of mullet from cornish beaches, you can have a look if you like. Every south west harbour i see, i look at mullet. Middle channel harbours in particular i see mullet, many thousands in some. Is there any reports of shortages? I don't know about the state of the flounder stocks, my mate down cornwall was catching them from a beach last week. As for the eel, the e a and the trust used a report of 95% plus depletion of the eel stock to arrange a worthless ban on the anglers taking the eel for the pot, with one fifty eel report at the top end of the thames used. Yet this summer in particular there was numerous reports of very good catches of eel from the lower thames. So tell me who is right on that one? Yes this is an angling forum, long may it continue. There are things that i don't agree regards to the commercial industry and management but not this one.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I don,t know what sort of fish you fish for or if your even a sea angler but you seem not to care about the sport. Flounders useded to win all the daylight shore comps you need a dozen to frame now you might fish a dozen times to catch a flounder,when they where first netted for pot bait every one said it didn,t matter there,s plenty of them there comericaly worthless it didn,t take long for the stock to crash history is about to repeat itself with mullet but that alright with you .

Jerry

You might have the best of intentions but you're barking up the wrong tree mate

Before you start alienating yourself and make yourself out to be a bit of a prat it would be better to have a look at some of the things already on this board before you start slagging off other members for what you see as lack of caring

Some of us on here actually do things

Wow! Two legged rats and knuckle draggers!

Jerry, why do you think that because someone is an angler they should hate netters? Is there a shortage of mullet in that area? Because it doesn't sound like it. Has this netting, that happens every year, had a direct impact on the number of mullet you catch? Or is it just the thought of someone else catching the fish that makes you mad?

By the way, most anglers couldn't give a monkeys about Otters and actually enjoy seeing them on the rivers. It's mostly fishery owners and specimen hunters who get aggravated by them. And those anglers who believe the hype, of course.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Let me see , the first reponse to my post was by Brian who seemed to think I was making it up with a little research he would have found I was telling the truth then he goes on and trys to make a very poor joke out of the situtaion. Next we have Barry telling there is no problem yet mentions the mullet seem to be scarce at one on the Southcoast premier fisherys Christchurch. The situtaion will only get worse in the future as this and other forms of netting have an effect on the stock of Mullet I have fished for Mullet for twenty years and have seen once good fisherys a shadow of there former selfs Poole harbour a prime example where a mate counted 17 small boats with gill nets.Because it,s a unpopular sea fish nobdy seem,s to care.Not bothered about alienating anyone if this is the standard of the forum who seem to think comerial netting is a good idea. I return all the fish catch to fight another day

Hi Jerry,

been keeping out of this one but I feel I ought to come in here. I understand your horror. The Mullet is a fine fighting fish that deserves better than to be taken by such a method. It takes years for it to reach a decent size. As much as I love to eat Mullet, I have only ever taken 2 for the table.

I don't agree with the others apparent apathy to the situation and i'm frankly suprised at some of the comments from our long standing members.

I'm sure leon would have something to say about this, him being such a keen Mulleteer.

I felt the same outrage at seeing box upon box of barely legal dogfish being landed at Ilfracombe some years back, just to be used as pot bait to catch whelks.

I don't buy the "well this happens every year so it won't affect the future" arguement, thats what happened to the oysters, sea kale & passenger pidgeon.

If you keep taking this attitude then Pouting will be our only sport fish & Anglers Net will have no new members.

Rant over.