Mullet Seined netted in Cornwall

76jerry

Let me see , the first reponse to my post was by Brian who seemed to think I was making it up with a little research he would have found I was telling the truth then he goes on and trys to make a very poor joke out of the situtaion. Next we have Barry telling there is no problem yet mentions the mullet seem to be scarce at one on the Southcoast premier fisherys Christchurch. The situtaion will only get worse in the future as this and other forms of netting have an effect on the stock of Mullet I have fished for Mullet for twenty years and have seen once good fisherys a shadow of there former selfs Poole harbour a prime example where a mate counted 17 small boats with gill nets.Because it,s a unpopular sea fish nobdy seem,s to care.Not bothered about alienating anyone if this is the standard of the forum who seem to think comerial netting is a good idea. I return all the fish catch to fight another day

It's great that you are allowed to release all the mullet you catch. It would be horrible for you if someone forced you to stop doing something you've always done.

Are you a member of the National Mullet Club?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve are you some sort of apologist for the commercial fishing industry ? Just because things where done in the past doesn,t mean it,s right to carry on especially as we know it is damaging fish stocks.Could understand if it was Bass because of there high value but we are talking about Mullet with little commerical value.

Thanks Ziggy beginning to think I was a voice in the willderness

Brian you doing things is that buying a tin of Dolphin friendly Tuna

All - feel free to discuss issues on here but please dial back the insults directed at other posters.

76jerry - if you take a few minutes to read some other topics & posts by Steve C. and Brian, I think you'll find that your remarks were well wide of the mark.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

All - feel free to discuss issues on here but please dial back the insults directed at other posters.

76jerry - if you take a few minutes to read some other topics & posts by Steve C. and Brian, I think you'll find that your remarks were well wide of the mark.

Spoken like a true Moderator :thumbs:

I'm sure we are all concerned about sustainability & it's very easy to get heated about the subject. I'm sorry if i've offended anyone & lets remember we are all on the same side.

Steve are you some sort of apologist for the commercial fishing industry ? Just because things where done in the past doesn,t mean it,s right to carry on especially as we know it is damaging fish stocks.Could understand if it was Bass because of there high value but we are talking about Mullet with little commerical value.

There is nothing to apologise for, as far as I'm concerned. How do you know that those netters are damaging mullet stocks? Sure, there are less mullet in the sea when they've finished netting them, but does it have an affect on the overall health of the stocks? It doesn't appear so if they are still able to net 50 tons with ease. Mullet certainly have enough commercial value to make it worth their while netting them because I don't suppose they do it for a laugh. As long as you are still able to catch them, what are you worried about?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

Have to say you have a very selfish attitude , what about my kids or later on my grand kids as they won,t be able to experience the thrill of catching a Mullet, just be left with some overstocked Carp puddle to catch a fish in.As you point out when they finished netting there are less Mullet in the sea which in anyone,s langauge means there is an effect on the stock of fish.

Alderney used to be a prime winter hotspot and many Mullet anglers traveled there over winter until the fishing crashed a few years ago, so Alderney has lost out on valueable source of tourist revenue if stocks crash in Alderney then they can crash anywhere

Dear 76jerry,

A little tip (as its christmas an' all)

When logged in, click on a user's name and then select either Topics started by or posts made by.

You may get an idea who you are interwebbing with ;)

Seasons greetings.

PS: I hate nets.

PPS: Newt, nice dimplomacy, Happy holidays

:)

Edited by n4lly
1509tarpon_75_.gif

Have to say you have a very selfish attitude , what about my kids or later on my grand kids as they won,t be able to experience the thrill of catching a Mullet, just be left with some overstocked Carp puddle to catch a fish in.As you point out when they finished netting there are less Mullet in the sea which in anyone,s langauge means there is an effect on the stock of fish.

Alderney used to be a prime winter hotspot and many Mullet anglers traveled there over winter until the fishing crashed a few years ago, so Alderney has lost out on valueable source of tourist revenue if stocks crash in Alderney then they can crash anywhere

Hello 76jerry

As one of your perceived knuckle draggers ( I suspect you view all commercial fishermen as such) I would like to comment.

Don't you think you are being the selfish one by claiming sole rights to mullet?

Mullet have been caught by a few community owned seine nets around Cornwall for many generations this also includes many generations of mullet so what evidence have you that it and your sport won't carry on for many generations in the future.

I suspect there are thousands of tonnes of mullet wintering around that coast with very few places suitable to use a seine net so what is caught by this method is a very small percent of the total stock and I doubt will make a noticeable difference to your sport or mine for that matter as I also enjoy catching mullet with rod and line,.

I have not heard of any evidence that the over all mullet stock are under any threat of a crash, indeed last summer there were good numbers of mullet plus some large shoals of very small mullet around my local area, an area with it's fair share of netters although not half as many as perceived.

I know nothing of Alderney's fish stocks, you say the mullet stock has crashed, do you think local fishermen have caused this or a knock on effect of the Cornish seine net?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Have a read of what you've written on this thread, then come back and tell me who has the selfish attitude.

You are letting your imagination run wild and it's affecting your judgement. What on earth makes you think that your children won't be able to catch mullet? The only thing that may prevent them from doing do is the ban it brigade, of which you appear to be a big fan.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

The only items of note recorded re the channel isles was the infamous 28 tonne haul of bass and the consultation regarding the assumption that the visiting rsa where decimating all the stock of flat fish etc. At the time there was plenty of guys who responded to that issue, i did, did you? Definitely no mention of yet another mullet depletion, can you enlighten us?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..