Reels

Leon Roskilly

As someone still stiving to reach beginner level as far as fly-fishing is concerned, I've had to buy just about everything I think that I 'need' before I'm truly able to discern whether to spend a lot on something (like a good line), or just get something basic for now (like a cheap rod) until I've learned enough to appreciate something better.

No stranger to both cheap and expensive centrepin reels for trotting, I'm taken aback by the huge difference in money being paid for fly-reels.

Some are going for less than a fiver whilst others are going for hundreds of pounds!!

As the owner of several very cheap reels, I'm left wondering whether this discepency has anything much to do with functionality or is more about 'pride of ownership'.

From my limited experience, a fly-reel merely stores the line until I strip sufficient off for casting, then it's only function is to act as a counterbalance weight for casting the rod.

I could imagine that circumstances might arise when a fish actually HAS to be played off the reel (ie when I get around to tarpon, bone-fish, mahseer etc), but whilst I'm just at the stage of hooking stockies, do I need to consider something better and why?

(I can see that a reel with a cassette system once I get into buying different lines with various DT ratings and profiles could be useful, but at the moment a new cheap reel (usually cheaper than a spare spool for more expensive reels) for each line seems to be the way I'm going).

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

it tends to be 'pride of ownership'.i guess ,since most fly reels from orvis were made on the old BFR machines theres only the badge and possibly the materials that make a difference.

i can hardly see an old intrepid being put on a machine and the worker being told to relax on the machining ,the machine is set to make a cut or drill or groove in the material its fed with it doesn't know to be on its best behaviour if its an orvis reel :D

modern graphite reels are just plastic anyway and are not any better than ali just a bit cheaper to fabricate but for some reason "graphite" is hailed as superior and hi-tech.

is a cassette any different to a spare spool? after all the important bits are in the body of a reel not the spool.

i think bfr made 40 odd fly reels for companies when they closed,i can only think of 3 intrepid / bfr ones so the rest must have been badged for other companies as well as orvis who owned them.

the whole kit and kaboodle was shipped of to china so they are probably knocking out even more for a huge number of companies for a few pence each.

china supplies cheap things not good well made things ,usually the packaging and transport far exceed the cost of whats in the package IE those boxed watches you see everywhere from a fiver to 20 odd quid ,they arrive (so i read somewhere) on our shores ,taxes paid ,shipping costs and manufacturing costs paid for........28p each ,as i said not quality but price ;)

the reason some reels are expensive is because some idiot pays inflated prices ,had they not the prices would tumble ,a warehouse full of reels costs money so the price would drop like a stone if buyers didnt buy

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

the whole kit and kaboodle was shipped of to china so they are probably knocking out even more for a huge number of companies for a few pence each.

Like these!

http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_n...g=50&_rdc=1

RNLI Shoreline Member

Not sure Leon ,i'm always suspicious of foreign items ,we dont know if they are over runs or perhaps under spec versions or merely stolen from the factory.

i once bought a USB controller board at a very cheap price from china ,it worked fine but on closer inspection it was plain it had been damaged and repaired ,cheap though so it doesnt matter to me but had it destroyed my pc theres no going to court over a £2 board!

you get some at an auction price as those are but the seller must be making money somewhere probably on the postage showing just how cheap chinese stuff is once its seperated from badges and big names.

i know a car boot seller who goes to spain for a fortnights holiday ,fills his boot up with cheap reels and the profit pays for his next holiday so its not just china ,britain really is a rip of place.

you can understand the prices if they were made here with our high taxes and labour costs but companies still sell it as if it was made here ,not some cheap import that costs almost nothing ,i doubt in many cases we don't have a coin small enough to pay for a great number of expensive items as they fall off the conveyor belt in china

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

As someone still stiving to reach beginner level as far as fly-fishing is concerned, I've had to buy just about everything I think that I 'need' before I'm truly able to discern whether to spend a lot on something (like a good line), or just get something basic for now (like a cheap rod) until I've learned enough to appreciate something better.

No stranger to both cheap and expensive centrepin reels for trotting, I'm taken aback by the huge difference in money being paid for fly-reels.

Some are going for less than a fiver whilst others are going for hundreds of pounds!!

As the owner of several very cheap reels, I'm left wondering whether this discepency has anything much to do with functionality or is more about 'pride of ownership'.

From my limited experience, a fly-reel merely stores the line until I strip sufficient off for casting, then it's only function is to act as a counterbalance weight for casting the rod.

I could imagine that circumstances might arise when a fish actually HAS to be played off the reel (ie when I get around to tarpon, bone-fish, mahseer etc), but whilst I'm just at the stage of hooking stockies, do I need to consider something better and why?

(I can see that a reel with a cassette system once I get into buying different lines with various DT ratings and profiles could be useful, but at the moment a new cheap reel (usually cheaper than a spare spool for more expensive reels) for each line seems to be the way I'm going).

Funny you should post on this subject!

I use 'basic' non drag reels (ratchet and pawl) for my freshwater fly fishing. I use vintage reels mainly but also a couple of more modern ones...sourced at £25-£30. I have one disc drag jobby that, had I paid full whack for it, would have cost me nearly £200. This I bought for saltwater and salmon fly fishing. Currently I am looking for a suitable 14wt+ reel for sharking....bloody hell, no change from £500 for a 'pin with a feeble disc drag that would struggle to challenge the smallest of my multipliers!

Certainly not priced on engineering but more likely on the fact that people who toddle off round the world fly fishing for game fish can probably afford such reels. Me? I'm only going to Milford Haven so I'm going to make my own!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

If you want something for trout that you can also use in the sea then get one of the graphite wide arbor reels. I have an Okuma Airframe (about £30) and haven't used any others since getting it. It won't rust, it has a drag and it has a one way bearing that means it doesn't make an annoying noise when you reel in. The advantage of the wide arbor reels is that the line is bent to a less tight radius so if you are lazy like me and leave it on the reel it doesn't get so much line memory. It also means you can wind in more than three inches for each turn of the handle! Disadvantage is that they are a bit heavier. If you go after the big warm water stuff then you'll have to fork out a LOT more money for something a bit stronger!

Edited by ColinW

A guy on Ebay(China) does a cracking aluminium reel at around £37-£45 or so,post free.These are unbadged,but badged up they would go for £75/£85.I have three,two from him and one badged,from this country and no difference in them.

They are fully saltwater proof with sealed drag and retentive spool release knob,3 bb's and silent in and subdued click out .Alas he does not have spare spools,but at those prices who cares!!!.They come in a drawstring bag.They really are very very good reels.

Look for Quickfishpro uk,reels are clf56 for a 5/6 weight line.He also does a plastic version dg72LA,but not sure if it would be saltwater proof,however judging by the sealed drag,i would think that it would be,although only in 5/6 weight capacity by the looks of things.He used to do a 7/8 weight capacity,a message would soon get a response from him.

If you are not worried about saltwater proof,then Shakespeare Alpha's are a decent buy-cheap as chips but very reasonable reels includes a spare spool.Had one for ages and it was fine.

Edited by chuby

greys do a very good basic reel with 4 spools for about £50. Tacklebargains.co.uk have a link from here, and I bought both mine there. If you can't find the link, here is one http://myworld.ebay.com/tacklediscounts/

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

If you are only intending to fly-fish in the UK for salmonids, coarse fish and seafish like bass and pollack., most of the above posts give sound advice.

All I would add is that cheaper fly reels tend not to be corrosion resistant, so you need to strip them down, rinse them in fresh water, then dry and oil them after every sea trip - AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME. To be on the safe side I do this for any fly reel.

Only if you are intending tropical salt-water game fishing should you start thinking (well) into three figures. A tarpon (for example) will leave a salmon standing, so a good quality disc-drag is essential.

Fly fishing for shark ? Watch Worms with interest.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks for your replies guys.

I feel more confident about staying with cheapo (sub £10) reels (usually graphite) for now whilst fishing for stockies, and perhaps when going after gar-fish and bass come the warmer weather. (Not much rustable material on them and even if they do suffer from salt, I'd rather be putting something that costs less than the line in the bin rather than worrying about a more expensive option)

'Though I can see that 'pride of ownership' thing kicking in at some point!

RNLI Shoreline Member