Budget baitrunner reels?

GlennB

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the new baitrunners - the clutch doesn't seem as good and the build quality feels inferior. I managed to get hold of a good second-hand GTE last year from ebay so I have 3 of them now. It is very hard getting hold of the GTEs second-hand (have a look on ebay - I bet there aren't any, or very few) which I think tells its own story...

(I mean the original GTE Aero, not the new GTE-C or -B or whatever - loads of them!)

EDIT I just had a quick look on ebay and actually there are a fair few about at the moment - this is unusual, so if you want one, now would be the time!

I'm a fan of the gte Aero 5000 and the 8000 but I also like my 5010' s , 8010's etc.

I have 3 Okuma Interceptors that I got for Pike fishing and they are OK.

I have a pair of Shimano 5010s that I bought second hand for around the same price as the Okumas and they are in a different class.

I would go for the used Shimanos every time.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

find some second hand shimanos.

will make all inferior reels look pants. any of the baitrunner gt models depending on what size you want.

lets face it shimano invented the baitrunner, why go for an immitation!

I got three Wychwood batrunners for a tenner each on ebay, I use them for fen drain piking where they get a fair bit of abuse. So far so good.

For everything else I use Shimano's, always had major problems with line twist, could never use them with an open bail.

• 1 month later...
Guest Chris Perch
My only baitrunner is a big fat Mitchell MD60. OK for heavyweight work but it really seems too big + heavy for the kind of rods you'd want to use for modest carp and bream etc.

Any recommendations?

Around the 40 squid mark would be quite extravagant by my cheapo standards, but all advice gratefuly received

cheers

The maver tica baitrunners are good I have had mine for about six years and find them a great reel for carp and any other species I also use them for float and feeder fishing - highly recomended and you can get them for about 29.99 ;) they come with one alloy spool and a carbon/plastic one too.

Edited by Chris Perch