Another first on the pin for me

Tigger

I had a trip north to cumbria chasing the ladies with two of my pals today and it would be our last trip there this year due to the salmon and trout season kicking off next week which puts a stop the coarse fishing till the next closed season for the gamefish. All three of us where enjoying our grayling fishing in such lovely surroundings.

Anyway, I was trotting my float down the river when it dipped under as it had done many times earlier that morning when I had struck into a grayling or sometimes a trout. This fish was very powerfull and shot of at high speed causing me to follow down the river as I hadn't a great deal of line on the spool. After five or more minutes I managed to see the fish in the margins and for me it was a first - a Salmon ! I know it's the closed season but no one had told the Salmon that it shouldn't take my bunch of maggots. It took approximatly another ten minutes to land, then, after several quick photo's off it went - no worse for it's capture.

salmon38janweb.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

salmon48janweb.th.jpg

salmon8janweb.th.jpg

Well done Ian, glad you got one. I bet that was a bit of a shock when you lifted into it.

I'm not going to begrudge you that particularly after earlier in the year when its chums kept leaping about whilst I was precariously balanced mid river, nearly had me in they did.

BTW.....I recognise that swim :D

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well done Ian, glad you got one. I bet that was a bit of a shock when you lifted into it.

I'm not going to begrudge you that particularly after earlier in the year when its chums kept leaping about whilst I was precariously balanced mid river, nearly had me in they did.

BTW.....I recognise that swim :D

Yeah it was a shock Chris but I did enjoy it :) I thought you'd recognise the swim it's a good un that's for sure. The river was icy cold and the air temp was only just above freezing so I left the wading to my m8's. If your missing it Chris we can always have a repeat trip next season.

Viney the fish was 8 1/2lb exact and your right it was pot luck but then again it may have been down to skill :lol:B).

Nice one Tigger :):)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

If your missing it Chris we can always have a repeat trip next season.

We will but first I need to repay your hospitality with a trip down here, my circumstances are making it difficult right now but they will be resolved soon.

Oh and you weren't lucky...you did everything right to catch a salmon.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well done, you, keep it up.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I had a trip north to cumbria chasing the ladies with two of my pals today and it would be our last trip there this year due to the salmon and trout season kicking off next week which puts a stop the coarse fishing till the next closed season for the gamefish. All three of us where enjoying our grayling fishing in such lovely surroundings.

Anyway, I was trotting my float down the river when it dipped under as it had done many times earlier that morning when I had struck into a grayling or sometimes a trout. This fish was very powerfull and shot of at high speed causing me to follow down the river as I hadn't a great deal of line on the spool. After five or more minutes I managed to see the fish in the margins and for me it was a first - a Salmon ! I know it's the closed season but no one had told the Salmon that it shouldn't take my bunch of maggots. It took approximatly another ten minutes to land, then, after several quick photo's off it went - no worse for it's capture.

salmon38janweb.th.jpg

salmon48janweb.th.jpg

salmon8janweb.th.jpg

lovely pictures. It's hard to know what to stare at most, the fish or your rig. both seem equally beautiful.

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever