Fishing Books

pearbo

My selection was my pick of nearly 200 books in my collection - think I've got just about everything Chris Yates has ever published, loads of anthologies - The Fisherman's Bedside Book by BB and the Magic Wheel by Profumo & Swift are both worth seeking out, a dozen+ John Bailey's and quite a bit of the Medlar catalogue!!! Almost none of my reading falls into the 'how to' category or the self indulgent 'how I caught the wacker' bracket!

C.

It's not really a carp book but Blood Knots by Luke Jennings is a great angling book. Well worth a read.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just finished reading Ian Chillcott's book which i got for Christmas and i really enjoyed it, it just confirmed what i thought of the man (gets on with it and doesn't get involved with the crap involved with so much carp fishing and carp fisherman)

Anyway the question is....what book next?

Have read

In pursuit of the largest - El Tel

The carp strikes back

various Paisleys

A handful of others

I like the 'i done this, i caught that' style of diary book. I don't particularly care for a databases of rigs and tackle because they are out of date by the time the book is published.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Carp strikes back was that written by rod hutchinson ? i used to have it many years ago but cant find it now

Yeah thats the one, i bought a 2nd edition (no. 756 of 795) its signed by the author and the illustrator. Its a great little book, could probably read it once a year. Have got 'carp now and then' by rod too, its a bit more technical but still has some good stories in.

I would try to find the original if i were you, its worth a nice little bit, otherwise its a good book in your collection.

Well Another edition anyway, the one with the black cover

Edited by pearbo

I've recently bought Chevin's book "Our Days with Dick" as well, and much enjoyed it. Unlike many tribute books in various fields, this one had longer pieces that allowed the contributors to really say what was special about the man, and included many amusing anecdotes. As a result I felt I knew Dick Walker, whom I never met but briefly corresponded with, a lot better.

Thanks, Ian. :thumbs:

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

i have a hundred or two as well ,never read one ,glanced through a few.i keep picking up a leatherbound fishermans bedtime book but reading it would spoil owning it i'm sure so i put it back.

i was told every time you read something the black letters fade and make the pages go very slightly brown :o

i was also told lights work by sucking dark out of a room ,i questioned it and the chap said with filament bulbs it was hard to prove but you could with tubes ,if you look at them after a while the ends get full of dark and once their full of dark they wont suck anymore when switched on (its proved by the room staying full of dark) put in an empty one and it sucks away

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've quite a few of the titles mentioned above up for sale on my web site, www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk. It's not up to date and so a few have sold, plus I've dozens more to add.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

My selection was my pick of nearly 200 books in my collection

Just dragged up my old library spread sheet

406 books on angling

52 books on fish recognition/classification

25 books on hunting and shooting

6 books on fishery management

...and its a couple of years since I updated it <_<

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

spread sheet your as bad as me with one on my mobile phone just incase i bump into an intrepid out and about :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Just a few of my favourites, but the ones I read over and over again...

A Dream of Jewelled Fishes - Jon Aston

Angling Vagabond...a glorious boyhood - Dave Park

Up Against It - Martin James

Fish, Fishing and the Meaning of Life - Jeremy Paxman

The Magic Wheel - an anthology of fishing in literature - edited by David Profumo & Graham Swift

Janet

Edited by Janet