Any ideas-i'm struggling

Sevinpies

I set myself a target this season,and that was to catch a barbel UNDER 3lb,and no i'm not joking.

I have never caught a barbel below 5lb,but i have witnessed a friend catch a 1.5lb fish and i must say that it was the best looking barbel that i have ever seen.ABSOLUTELY in perfect condition.

It truly was an amazing sight.

I have virtually resorted to match tactics,but still haven't managed one,any ideas.

I used to fish a Telford AA water below Ironbridge and the average barbel was probably between 3 or 4 pounds and you could normally reckon on catching a few. On one particular visit in late summer I fished my regular peg and caught barbel all day and not a single one was more than about 4 ounces! I must have had around 60 of them with quite a few being not much bigger than the gudgeon I was also catching. Never saw a decent barbel all day, and never caught another small one in the next 3 years!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

tell yourself you are going to catch huge fish for a few days before you go ,small ones will turn up just to spite you :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You don't say where you fish. I have had small barbel out of the Severn, Bristol Avon & the Loddon. The one from the Loddon was about 8-12oz it was so cute, I was kicking myself after for not taking a photo of it.

It was great catching it as I know there is another generation coming on. So when Liam is old enough to fish there (no juniors allowed) that little barbel will be a double :)

Unless you can see them, ie; in clear summer conditions it's just a case of 'pot luck' the same as it is for the big ones!

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

lyn:

It was great catching it as I know there is another generation coming on. So when Liam is old enough to fish there (no juniors allowed) that little barbel will be a double   :)  

lyn

No juniors!!!!!! that says a lot for the future of angling. what reason could possabley be behind that decision.

Nugg:
No juniors!!!!!! that says a lot for the future of angling. what reason could possabley be behind that decision.
The legal responsibilities of the riparian owners to 'minors' on their land (and the legal liabilties if there were to be an accident) would be one of the reasons.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Sevinpies:

I set myself a target this season,and that was to catch a barbel UNDER 3lb,and no i'm not joking.

I have never caught a barbel below 5lb,but i have witnessed a friend catch a 1.5lb fish and i must say that it was the best looking barbel that i have ever seen.ABSOLUTELY in perfect condition.

It truly was an amazing sight.

I have virtually resorted to match tactics,but still haven't managed one,any ideas.

Rarely caught small barbel in the winter, but in the summer I catch them when fishing for the dace on maggot. Fast swims, 2ft deep with weed cover seems to be where they like to be.

Smallest one I’ve ever caught came from the Trent on a club match 25+ years ago, 2in long and was feeding with a shoal of gudgeon. Prettiest barbel I’ve ever caught, perfectly formed. Lee Fletcher has probably caught it at 14Lb + since.

My best catch was 17 fish on the R. Dane two years ago. The best going no more than 12 oz. Brilliant day’s stickfloat fishing with dace and chub I also caught for the reasons Lyn gives.

phil h.

Bruno Broughton:

The legal responsibilities of the riparian owners to 'minors' on their land (and the legal liabilties if there were to be an accident) would be one of the reasons.

Riparian = adj. of or on a river-bank.

Minor = n. one who digs things up when not on strike :rolleyes:

Just thought that bit of info would be useful to those of us who can't solve the Guardian crossword in less than 5 minutes :D

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

John S:

... Minor = n. one who digs things up when not on strike ...

Err - JohnS, I hope you don't do the puzzles in ink. Miner?

Minor = n. a determinant or matrix obtained from a given determinant or matrix by eliminating the row and column in which a given element lies

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by phil hackett:

Rarely caught small barbel in the winter, but in the summer I catch them when fishing for the dace on maggot. Fast swims, 2ft deep with weed cover seems to be where they like to be.

years ago. The best going no more than 12 oz. Brilliant day’s stickfloat fishing with dace and chub I also caught for the reasons Lyn gives.[/QB]

I'd concur with this - I've had around 3 dozen this summer trotting a fast shallow section of the Kennet - all but 2 BELOW one pound and most below a half - still put up a cracking fight when you've set out your stall for dace. Not had a tiddler though since the begining of September...

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog