Fish 'n' Tips

Elton

Hi Elton and All,

Only just seen this, been busy writing my piece for the second issue!

Let me just say that my monthly feature will not be "Dumbed Down" in any way, my love is barbel fishing and I'll be covering as many aspects of that as I possibly can involving the many friends I have in the barbel world, so as Mark has said the fishing content is going to be very good indeed.

I write regularly on my own website and I know from the comments I receive that the Blog style of writing is very popular, marry that to a little humour and we may all be surprised at how popular this format could be.

I'm a married man with three professional daughters so I can say from the outset that I am definitely in touch with the modern woman!

One of them is a London lawyer so I have to be on my best behaviour as she is watching me like a hawk.

I actually showed my better half the press pack and she made the comment, " Carry On Fishing."

One of my personal aims is to reach a wider and dare I say younger audience, the Crabtree generation is getting on now and the Internet generation is moving in.

There is always a fine line and I am confident the people behind this new initiative are well aware of that, have to say it will be quite novel opening the pages and seeing a photo of my mate Fred Crouch opposite the modern day version of the Anglers Mailmaid!

Keep cool.

All the best,

Steve

One of my personal aims is to reach a wider and dare I say younger audience,

Hi steve,

I think if you can reach the younger audience and not just throw crap, i mean carp tactics at them all day then you would be doing something that not many other mags seem to be bothered with these days. Far too much emphasis is being put on carp these days and as many threads on here will tell you it has wide and far reaching consequences. The amount of lakes being turned to muddy pools by the carp boom is a saddening affair.

Being of the younger generation myself I know there is a distinct lack of real knowledge being put forward these days which is a real shame for the youngsters who are being dumped on carp pools and never think to look beyond the barbed wire fence to the rivers and canals that can hold many more exciting surprises.

As I have said earlier the mag does not look like it is for me but I hope you people who write for it can see the importance of spreading real knowledge and advice throughout or sport. The kids are the future and the way I am seeing it going at the moment does not bode well for angling as a whole.

Although the rivers will be nice and quiet for me when I am old ;)

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Hi Elton and All,

Only just seen this, been busy writing my piece for the second issue!

Let me just say that my monthly feature will not be "Dumbed Down" in any way, my love is barbel fishing and I'll be covering as many aspects of that as I possibly can involving the many friends I have in the barbel world, so as Mark has said the fishing content is going to be very good indeed.

I write regularly on my own website and I know from the comments I receive that the Blog style of writing is very popular, marry that to a little humour and we may all be surprised at how popular this format could be.

I'm a married man with three professional daughters so I can say from the outset that I am definitely in touch with the modern woman!

One of them is a London lawyer so I have to be on my best behaviour as she is watching me like a hawk.

I actually showed my better half the press pack and she made the comment, " Carry On Fishing."

One of my personal aims is to reach a wider and dare I say younger audience, the Crabtree generation is getting on now and the Internet generation is moving in.

There is always a fine line and I am confident the people behind this new initiative are well aware of that, have to say it will be quite novel opening the pages and seeing a photo of my mate Fred Crouch opposite the modern day version of the Anglers Mailmaid!

Keep cool.

All the best,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Must admit that, on a personal level, I was really pleased to see your name on the list of contributors :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi Steve,

Must admit that, on a personal level, I was really pleased to see your name on the list of contributors :)

Me too as it happens, it does lend the new mag some credibility.

A mag that matches the descriptions from you and Mark would definitely be worth checking out, but I think any design based on the press pack would turn a lot of potential customers off instantly. A difficult balance certainly, but I am assuming any feedback at this stage is useful. For me, there's just far too much innuendo that isn't funny.

Just to make another point (again, sorry) but the thing that turned me off two previously good mags (CAT and CF) was the maddening level of product placement and needless praising of tackle and bait items by sponsered anglers. This has simply ruined good fishing writing, and I know I am not alone in feeling this way. Describe the type of tackle and bait used for sure, if it's relevant, but I don't need to know what brand it is or why it's the best thing ever. Coming from someone who works for that company, it means nothing, and just uses up space that could be taken up with actual content, and it just makes the whole article seem like an advertising vehicle, even if that wasn't the writer's intention.

The final straw for me was when Tony Miles (a fishing hero of mine, which made it all the worse!) listed some squidy fruity things from Pallatrax as one of his 'best tench baits', and then said he hadn't actually tried them yet. I haven't bought a mag since then.

But I would like to! I know I sound negative and boring, but I really do want to buy fishing magazines every month (every week too). I have the money waiting. I just need a mag that's worth it :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

For me, there's just far too much innuendo that isn't funny.

Hmmm...you won't want to hear about the time when I was working in a cocktail bar and this woman asked me for a Double Entendre, then? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Let me guess - you gave her one?

;)

That's safer (and probably funnier) than the one I came up with. I really had to control the urge to type that out there.

I need looking at.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

That's safer (and probably funnier) than the one I came up with. I really had to control the urge to type that out there.

I need looking at.

Aww you can't leave it at that Andy! Put it up and if it's too naughty one of us Mods will delete it.... eventually :D

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Me too as it happens, it does lend the new mag some credibility.

A mag that matches the descriptions from you and Mark would definitely be worth checking out, but I think any design based on the press pack would turn a lot of potential customers off instantly. A difficult balance certainly, but I am assuming any feedback at this stage is useful. For me, there's just far too much innuendo that isn't funny.

Just to make another point (again, sorry) but the thing that turned me off two previously good mags (CAT and CF) was the maddening level of product placement and needless praising of tackle and bait items by sponsered anglers. This has simply ruined good fishing writing, and I know I am not alone in feeling this way. Describe the type of tackle and bait used for sure, if it's relevant, but I don't need to know what brand it is or why it's the best thing ever. Coming from someone who works for that company, it means nothing, and just uses up space that could be taken up with actual content, and it just makes the whole article seem like an advertising vehicle, even if that wasn't the writer's intention.

The final straw for me was when Tony Miles (a fishing hero of mine, which made it all the worse!) listed some squidy fruity things from Pallatrax as one of his 'best tench baits', and then said he hadn't actually tried them yet. I haven't bought a mag since then.

But I would like to! I know I sound negative and boring, but I really do want to buy fishing magazines every month (every week too). I have the money waiting. I just need a mag that's worth it :)

Funnily enough on this I completely agree with you and I have already pulled one such photo because it was blatant product placement. As far as I am concerned an angler being daubed in sponsors logos is enough and theres no need for anything else really.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk