Barbel and Chub Baits for Floatfishing ?

76jerry

There are a few Barbel in my local river what are the best baits for floatfishing for them ?

Is there a good Barbel and Chub bait ?

I would say a bunch of maggots on a size 14 while feeding regularly with a spray of maggots down the same swim is hard to beat for both species (although chub do love a big bread flake or cheesepaste). Had my largest float caught river barbel on a size 16 with double maggots on.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Maggots here too, luncheon meat and sweet corn will appeal to both species as well. Not sure about trotting bread flake, I've recently had great success ledgering it for chub but haven't tried it with a float yet, don't know whether barbel like it.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yup - maggots all the way for me - the trick is in the feeding - little and often and if you have the time it definitely pays to feed the swim for a while before even starting to fish...

This might help!

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...for-barbel.html

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Maggots here too, luncheon meat and sweet corn will appeal to both species as well. Not sure about trotting bread flake, I've recently had great success ledgering it for chub but haven't tried it with a float yet, don't know whether barbel like it.

Good to hear you're turning to the dark side too Rusty B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Good to hear you're turning to the dark side too Rusty B)

Entirely due to your bread article Anderoo, I'm now confident that it stays on the hook and the feed gets to where I want it. Another benefit of bread is that any unused hookbait gets put in the bucket for drying out and mashing next time round, cheap and no waste.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Plus of course you can sit in a comfy chair and drink cups of tea (or maybe in your case, cook sausages?), and if it's cold put gloves on :)

Trotting bread does work very well by the way, but it's quite hard work. You need to rebait a lot more often than with maggots as it will fall off the hook after a while. About 4 seasons ago I had a couple of fantastic sessions trotting bread and feeding little bits of bread mash very regularly at my local bit of the thames, catching some lovely roach up to just under a pound, plus my PB chub at the time (4lb 13oz). It was great!

I don't know about barbel though, I've never done any barbel fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Ive had a handful of barbel on trotted bread flake this season, a few more on corn, but maybe getting on for a hundred (inc. a double) on maggot. Not fished it this season, but pellet can be good in summer (if its not to low to fish for them) as it sinks well in faster water.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep