Fantastic Plastic - Do you have faith?

Dales

I've tried using the tubing on the hook but I found that when I had a take which didn't hook up properly the tubing would be pushed up the shank as the bait is ejected... Granted this can be used to show you had a bait ejected but it also means the hair is no longer coming off the hook at the correct angle, do you find the same problem?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently fishing a local club lake. 6 acres 200ish carp up to early to mid 30. Hoping to catch 40 - 50 fish this year so not ultra hard but not stupidly easy either. Sort of my step up from commercials i suppose. My method started well last year but i got sidetracked and fished other venues for cats and pike. Have fished the likes of bluebell and catch 22 around the norfolk/cambridgeshire area and had a few on pink corn but didn't spend enough time on them to get the most out of it.

I've tried using the tubing on the hook but I found that when I had a take which didn't hook up properly the tubing would be pushed up the shank as the bait is ejected... Granted this can be used to show you had a bait ejected but it also means the hair is no longer coming off the hook at the correct angle, do you find the same problem?

Yes, that's actually one of the reasons I like it. I also use a swivel that's a fairly loose fit in the lead - firm enough to hook the fish, but it pops out easily. If a fish picks up the bait and doesn't get hooked the tubing on the hook will have moved and the swivel usually pops ou of the lead too, so I know that I missed a chance. That's often quite important to know! If I'm not catching I will look at location and feeding, if I'm missing bites the rigs need looking at.

I also like the flexibility the little bit of tubing gives me, as it allows me to have the hair coming off the hook at any point. I usually have it coming right off the top of the bend, where you'd struggle to get a knotless knot to go (well I do anyway). I blame Rich Capper, I'd been tubing free for several years until last season :D

Again, these are small, fairly inconsequential things that I've ended up doing on one particular water over a few years. If I had to do away with the tubing I wouldn't lose any sleep. Short hooklength, sharp hook, critically balanced plastics are all you need. You don't even need a hair, I know someone who's been very successful with tench by using very short, stiff mono hooklengths (down to 2") and fake maggots straight on the hook.

In fact if I was told I had to change all the bits in that rig I would't be worried, except the hook. The hooklength material, the lead, even the type of fake bait I don't think matter much, but I've been round the houses trying to find sharp, strong hooks that don't blunt on gravel too badly. The two patterns I use now are Korum S3 and Atomic Claw, and both have proved themselves to me over the last season.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Currently fishing a local club lake. 6 acres 200ish carp up to early to mid 30. Hoping to catch 40 - 50 fish this year so not ultra hard but not stupidly easy either. Sort of my step up from commercials i suppose. My method started well last year but i got sidetracked and fished other venues for cats and pike. Have fished the likes of bluebell and catch 22 around the norfolk/cambridgeshire area and had a few on pink corn but didn't spend enough time on them to get the most out of it.

Thanks Pearbo,I really must try to overcome this daftness and get my head around using plastic.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Errrm, when I was still retarded and carp were everything to me I used to use the tubing trick as well for the very same reasons that Anderoo gives. However if you get the right tubing (I found some silicone pole float tubing to be perfect) you can avoid the problem you mention yet still adjust the position the hair comes off the hook shank.Used to use light mono hairs then and not "through hairs" like today's "knot less knot" set up.

Now Ive had the Realtree T-shirt removed and my brain put back in I only find the need for two basic hair set ups,the "looped eye" for pop ups and for bottom baits the "knot-less knot" with the hair coming off the shank directly above the point.

Simply side hooking with plastic catches a few (100) :) and adding a shrinktube line aligner helps :) All very old hat maybe????????

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Simply side hooking with plastic catches a few (100) :) and adding a shrinktube line aligner helps :) All very old hat maybe????????

Den

Yes my only ventures with plastic maggots has been using a slightly scaled down version of the "Mag Aligner" rig.For those who haven't seen it it just uses a hard plastic maggot as a line aligner (you just thread it on the hook link with a sewing needle first so the line enters at the underneath of the maggot but exits centrally at the end then tie the hook on and slide down over the eye) Used it with a PVA "stick" of real maggots (dead or alive). I used a few live maggots on the hook but you could use plastic on it.

Worked fine on the tench I was targeting but the real maggots (especially dead ones) used in the PVA with it just drew my old mates the eels in and a bit later in the year the small perch! If (sorry I should be positive and say WHEN!) I try to get my heads around using just plastic on the hook I intend to use this rig or Dens method feeder tactic. I think I will be more confident with the plastic used with the method feeder though.

Yes, that's actually one of the reasons I like it. I also use a swivel that's a fairly loose fit in the lead - firm enough to hook the fish, but it pops out easily. If a fish picks up the bait and doesn't get hooked the tubing on the hook will have moved and the swivel usually pops ou of the lead too, so I know that I missed a chance. That's often quite important to know! If I'm not catching I will look at location and feeding, if I'm missing bites the rigs need looking at.

Do you think there is a chance that you will not be alerted to the ejected take and you'll end up fishing with a setup with is less likely to catch fish.... or do you feel in the long run you'll catch more fish because you can tell if you have missed takes?

I used to do that but after a fish or two the knot pulls tighter and so the point where the hait comes off the hook moves down.

You could always use a drop of superglue, It would help to stop the wraps of braid tightening up and pulling down the shank (if you don't put enough wraps down the shank) but you could also use it in place of the unsightly plastic sleeve.

When i started using it on my little commercial lake up the road i couldn't believe how much better the pink was compared to yellow. I think they were pushing the yellow out of the way to get to the pink corn.