A confession and some idiots.

gozzer

There are stacks in the Oxford canal, Rich took me to a bit a couple of seasons ago and I couldn't believe how many I saw! Anglers always kick up a fuss about removing fish, despite clear evidence that it's damaging to he enviromnent. Remember the blokes who chained themselves to the railings of a grossly overstocked little lake a few months ago?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personnally find nothing more boring than reading about Steve Ringer and his little butt monkey Alex Bones talking about catching 3lb carp from commercials. All putting them in canals will achieve is giving them another venue to sell their crap to us from. I have subscribed to Improve Your coarse Fishing through the Tesco rewards (there was nothing better) and over the last year it has deteriorated as far as im concerned. Hardly any pike and perch stuff this winter just new ways to catch these poxy little carp from puddles. Don't get me wrong thousands of people do it every weekend and not everyone wants to sit behind alarms but break it up a bit, do we really need another Guru advert?

Haha brilliant. Couldn't have said it better myself. And am i wrong in saying that there is already a lot of small carp in our canal systems already as it is? Haha this made my week though :D

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I think most of us have no problem with carp, they are heavy and hard fighting fish which is always good! But the fact that all you hear about in fishing media is carp, all the latest crap people like Danny Fairbrass cram down our throats, along with the overstocking of hundreds of waters with carp and the unhealthy commercial waters that have been created so people can get a quick carp 'fix' is just too much now.

I'm only 16 and i don't want to sound like a cynic but i have to admit, all the carp stuff just gets on your nerves after a while.

I'd love to pick up an anglers mail or an improve your coarse fishing and see it full of interesting articles on roach, rudd, eels, perch, chub, tench or pike....But no, it all has to be carp.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Do you mean the stocking of carp, me reading the Angling Times, or both, Nick? :D

John.

Haven't quite decided yet John.....must be old age creeping up on me B)

Regardless of what is on offer I won't buy it, as for leaflets/articles/booklets

From what I have read and seen in recent years if it is not written by the angler in question no matter how well or poorly written it is in my opinion generally a load of twaddle, fantasy and fairy stories. Written by money grabbing authors/chancers just out to make a few bob on the back of dead and past famous anglers often with bits in to promote themselves.

Bloody hell Toady, you're starting to make sense :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I can foresee 2 problems with stocking a lot of carp on canals.

Firstly canals are interconnected, not only with other canals but also rivers. This will therefore have an effect on other waters, and may well be the opposite of whatever other fishery managers are trying to do.

Secondly, there seems to be a call for a blanket stocking of carp, Even if the canals aren't connected to other waters I wouldn't like to see all venues stocked in the same way.

It's the same with clubs and stillwaters. Rather than stocking waters differently so as to achieve different aims, many clubs still stock each of their waters exactly the same. Far better in my view to have a variety of waters that are good for a species or type of fishing, rather than a serious of mediocre waters that aren't really good for anything. In the days when anglers didn't travel much there was just about an excuse if the club had only a small number of waters. Nowadays, with most anglers driving to venues and there being more venues anyway, it's totally unnecessary.

As Gozzer is always saying, and I fully agree with him, it all comes down to that word "choice". So many waters are now becoming clones, and choice is fast disappearing.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've fished the canal for years around my area. Its full of carp and not tiny ones either Milton keynes Carp record is 34lb last i heard a fish caught from the canal.I've had them out personally to 22lb but that was the only year i targetted them. To many waters in my opinion are being stocked with carp . waters that were ideal bream/tench waters have been decimated. To the extent i stopped my membership of 2 different clubs because of there stocking policy. I now dream of finding a small pond with crucians and tench with rudd rippling the surface. Dont have to be big fish but the idea to me is idyllic.

I think the carp stocking policy nationwide needs looking at if a water contains no or few carp then none should be introduced and that should be EA legislation.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I now dream of finding a small pond with crucians and tench with rudd rippling the surface. Dont have to be big fish but the idea to me is idyllic.

Me too Terry, I long for those places! They were common when I was a kid, and now seem impossible to find. The ones I knew growing up have all been stocked with loads of little carp and ruined forever.

Float fishing sweetcorn at some pretty little pond catching roach, rudd, and the occasional small tench and crucian, I can't think of a nicer way to spend a day :)

Can't we club together and buy an Anglers Net lake, somewhere near Oxford sounds sensible B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

they will bully other fish off the natural food and the days of big roach, rudd, perch and chub off canals will be gone i reckon :(

Imagine the size of the pike though!!! ;)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

No I think that AN lake should be located towards Nottingham ;)

I'd like to think it would be possible to club together to lease/buy somewhere but something tells me there are a lot more hidden costs or that ponds just cost too much anyway :(

Me too Terry, I long for those places! They were common when I was a kid, and now seem impossible to find. The ones I knew growing up have all been stocked with loads of little carp and ruined forever.

Float fishing sweetcorn at some pretty little pond catching roach, rudd, and the occasional small tench and crucian, I can't think of a nicer way to spend a day :)

Can't we club together and buy an Anglers Net lake, somewhere near Oxford sounds sensible B)

James