Now let's ban fishing

Colin Brett

The SAA are compiling a list of anti-angling letters and TV / radio discussions. Can I therefore ask you all to forward anything you see or hear to us please. As much information as possible including the paper or magazine or the TV / radio station with time and date would be very helpful.

You can contact me on;

webmaster@saauk.org

Thanks,

Rob Stubbs.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Havent read all the replies to this forum so i may be repeating someone, but here goes.

Ive only been fishing for about three years and i still remember my first trip when a well seasoned angler showed my how to unhook an eel, he put his boot on it and pulled the line, hook and most of the eels guts out in one swift jerk..... recently i sat on a bank fishing away peacefully while two so called anglers had a fish fight with small roach that where coming out at one a cast......

Is it any wonder then that the anti's wanna ban the sport with this sort of behaviour we are playing right into there hands.

FECKEM

re: Feckem

I'm assuming you were alone, and they were bigger than you. Morons like that clearly need to be banned from fishing anywhere, and preferably prosecuted as well. The trouble is that the resulting publicity would reflect badly on us all, so perhaps this is one case where a bit of private justice would be justified. I hope you were able to get their car numbers if they had them, and report them to a bailiff.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

One thing that has puzzled me throughout this thread is the lack of mention of any angling columnists in any of the papers mentioned. When I lived in the UK, most of the weekly local newspapers had an angling columnist, (I wrote for three of them my self), and they should be - as I was - always ready to take the antis to task whenever they wrote a letter critical of angling. While the letters written by posters to this group are obviously of great value, it would be good to see what the angling columnists have to say about it too.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Re: Peter Sharpe

Yes I was alone but being a 6ft fat bald git, they certainly wern't bigger than me and yes I feel they recieved justice, they need to buy new rods now before they can catch fish. Its just a shame that people like this fish our waters. They were fishing about ten feet from a big tescos carpark and so could be seen by lots of people.

Feckem

Interestingly Anglers Mail picked up on this thread re Theresa Thom. Gave credit to AN as well!They also picked up on the CA suggestion. I phoned AM, seems one or two of the reporters also see sense in the suggestion that a CA supporter might be behind this latest 'anti' scare. Thomas Petch, who wrote the artical is convinced its PETA. Also my local paper has printed a letter from yours truly suggesting that the Mss Thom letter was written with a view to enlisting anglers on the CA march, wonder what the replies will be like!!

I don't think the anti's would be seen to have achieved anything if our chosen sport is constantly being taken up as thier hobby by more and more people, eh ?

The growth of our sport has been tremendous in the last 10 years or so. Thanks to those that have worked so hard on the forefront, esp the angling press, match anglers and legendary gurus, who have been inspirational in their ways in promoting the healthy image of angling.

These are the people who leads the way for others to follow on how this sport should be pursued. As long as they keep on with educating every angler about the acceptable ethics of this sport, and show that it is a fun and healthy thing to do, and keeps coming up with new methods, new concepts and equipment, the angling industry will be thriving. And so will our sport. As long as we take care of our fish stock, there will always be people like us longing to fish. And more will take up the sport too, if all us anglers start encouraging young un's to start early. Takes the youngsters off the street and educate them that if they want the best in angling, or in life, they have to complete their education, get a good job to get it.

There's too many of us anglers in all corners of the UK, in all walks of life; that no government would even dream of banning us from picking up a rod. Are they willing to spend the time, or do they have the resources and manpower to carry out and instill the ban? What? A criminal because I like to spend some quality time with my children playing at catching fish?

My way of thinking is to ignore all these threats and stop wasting time spoiling for a fight. That is playing into their game of trying to disrupt our sport. Just be calm and don't waste your time spoiling for a fight.

Instead, concentrate on issues of fish stock, and promoting the good image of what real angling is all about. Maybe pick up a rod and go fishing, if you have forgoten what it feels like. Is a pleasurable experience, and even if we are not fishing, we are still dreaming of it. It helps to keep some of us going from day to day.

thongy

Bite alarms, carp rods, baitrunners, and braid. Great for big bass on beach. I'm bringing my sofa next .....