My First Chub!

scottca

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

was actually starting to reel back in to recast, I had a few knocks but then it went dead, so I waited, started to reel in to recast and then just as I turned the reel handle I felt it go

Well done on the chub Craig. It's interesting that it took the bait just as you were reeling in. When trotting for them I've had that happen loads of times, I reckon they see the bait start to move away and grab it in case they lose it. Now whenever I'm retrieving a float or static bait I wind a couple of gentle turns before retrieving.

Don't forget the flake and mash as a bait, it's effective and cheap.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Strangely enough ATS I get more of a buzz if I can't catch it! Once I can catch them consistantly its not as interesting! :rolleyes: Yes I know Im a freak!

lol I know what you mean Budgie, the thrill of knowing you are targetting a whole new species is definetly exciting, having said that I still definetly prefer actually getting the blighter :D . It is so satisfying once the hard work pays off.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Nice one Craig, as it's been said you'll remember it for ages. I still remember my first 'proper' chub, a couple of ounces short of yours, and that's nearly 50yrs ago!

Strangely, after I'd broke 2lb, I caught loads between 2 and 3, then when I broke 3, 3s came regularly, and 4 seemed to take ages. Then same again for a 5. Now I'm stuck in the 5s waiting for a 6.

Makes it all the more enjoyable than catching a 5 or 6 straight off though.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Rusty - Im quite glad it took it quickly as I would have reeled in without thinking of a strike, I will now bear in mind in future and make sure I take my time just in case :)

gozzer - Hopefully a few more 2lbers will come, shame its nearing the close season!, cant wait to target them again though.

Whats chub fishing like in spring/summer months? Spring will be mainly targeting Tench this year for me I think (another elusive species to me!) but its always nice to grab some time down the river for a few hours.

Whats chub fishing like in spring/summer months? ......... its always nice to grab some time down the river for a few hours.

Unless you fish for stillwater chub, it will be non-existent until June 16th. After that, river chub are fair game, and if the water is clear and low, a stiff test of your developing skills.

If you want to spend time by the river before June 16th , then put trout on your list of targets. Stalking trout is just as testing and exciting as stalking chub

Well done on your first chub. If you can catch chub consistently you can say you are on the way to becoming a good angler.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Great rush of excitment though as I saw it through the water - I didnt realise how hard they fight considering its weight and size.

I'd agree with that. For some reason chub don't have much of a reputation as a hard-fighting fish, but I've always found them very strong, and the bigger ones really brutal.

Nice looking fish :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music