fuel prices cut

Andy_1984

George Osborne has cancelled next month's 4p rise in fuel duty in what he has billed his "Budget for growth".

A further 1p will be cut from pump prices at 6pm - all paid for by a £2bn tax on oil companies.

full article here

im greatful its been reduced but 1p wont make the slightest bit of difference to my financial circumstances.

ill now be saving roughly 10p each time i fill up once per week with just under 10 litres of petrol. you do the math :(

its not even enough to buy a newspaper at the end of the week

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it is a 5p/litre tax cut on what was scheduled (4p rise binned + 1p cut), so about £1.60 a fill less for me and more like £3.50 - £4 less for the wife's car.

(I volunteered to fill her car up before we left for Scotland last week - £86 - ouch!)

Can't remember fuel duty ever being cut before - definite move in the right direction and indication that government is aware that this is a big issue to many people. They have scrapped the annual "1p + inflation" escalator re-introduced by Alastair Darling in 2010, not just ducked it this year.

What did they do with that Airport departure tax? (On passengers).

Britain charges more than any other country, and while every other country has either slashed it or removed it altogether, the British have been increasing it.

Other countries have realized that they lose more money through lost passenger numbers than they gained by increased taxes....... :rolleyes:

One reason why British airways are moving their operations centre from the UK to madrid perhaps?

What did they do with that Airport departure tax? (On passengers).

Britain charges more than any other country, and while every other country has either slashed it or removed it altogether, the British have been increasing it.

Other countries have realized that they lose more money through lost passenger numbers than they gained by increased taxes....... :rolleyes:

One reason why British airways are moving their operations centre from the UK to madrid perhaps?

Air Passenger Duty rise delayed by one year.

I agree Andy token gesture i think.

A bit like the Labours 15% VAT, what a waste of much needed revenue. Could of helped pay off some interest charges ;)

1509tarpon_75_.gif

I agree Andy token gesture i think.

i think you hit the nail on the head their mate.

i seen this quoted earlier in the comments box on the "live" link from the link i posted:

Shadow chancellor Ed Balls says George Osborne has not reversed the effects of the VAT rise on fuel in January with his freeze on duty, and 1p cut in the current rate. Prices will increase by 2p a litre even after the announcement, he adds.

i cant find any reference anywhere else too it though

a quote from the song queen - who needs you

Taking one step forward, slipping two steps back There's an empty feeling that you can't forget Reaching out, reaching out for a helping hand

quite appropriate dont you think :)

Air Passenger Duty rise delayed by one year.

Cheers, better than nothing.

A friend interviewed the British minister for tourism a few weeks back, she was relating her ideas to boost income from increasing visitor numbers.

One of her ideas was to "make our airport terminals more atractive"..................My friend asked her........"When was the last time you booked a holiday to a country because it had a nice airport terminal"?

She wouldnt comment on the suggestion that a better idea would be to make it cheaper to fly to the UK.

No idea as usual. :lol::lol:

I might get that supercharger I was after now :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

This is the important bit and about time. The lowest corp' tax in the G7. Profit is not a dirty word.

"Mr Osborne wants to tell the whole world, particularly those bits with lots of money to invest, that the UK is "open for business".

So the current rate of corporation tax will be cut by 2% from April 2011

instead of the 1% as previously announced. But more than that it will also drop by 1% in each of the next three years to reach 23%.

Banks, however, will see their bank levy rise to compensate for this."

1509tarpon_75_.gif

This is the important bit and about time. The lowest corp' tax in the G7. Profit is not a dirty word.

"Mr Osborne wants to tell the whole world, particularly those bits with lots of money to invest, that the UK is "open for business".

So the current rate of corporation tax will be cut by 2% from April 2011

instead of the 1% as previously announced. But more than that it will also drop by 1% in each of the next three years to reach 23%.

Banks, however, will see their bank levy rise to compensate for this."

i was a bit miffed by that one too. big business getting tax cut, the people pick up the slack. <_<

maybe i dont get the point so someone can point it out to me if this will benefit the uk somehow

Edited by Andy_1984

i was a bit miffed by that one too. big business getting tax cut, the people pick up the slack. <_>

maybe i dont get the point so someone can point it out to me if this will benefit the uk somehow

Because it's businesses that generate jobs and wealth and, without them, this country is doomed.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE