BARBLE IN" STILLWATERS!"

peter mccue:

Guys, concerning the stillwater Salmon, is it your actual bog standard Atlantic Salmon?

The reason I ask, is that I was reading about a fly fishery that pumps the water around so that you are fishing a stillwater river!!!

I got the impression that the Salmon stocked were a stillwater variety, as opposed to your migrating Atlantic job

Does anyone know anything about that.

Now this type of fishery could solve all the problems with Barbel.    

I was there last week, on a site visit ahead of a fisheries management report. The fishery - near Southport - consists of a large mozaic of man-made, 'natural' pools, linked by flowing, recirculated water. Brownies, grayling and landlocked salmon are present.

The salmon are stocked at about two years of age, having been reared from eggs and grown on in the hatchery unit alongside the fishery. The fish are a land-locked strain of our salmon, imported under speciaal licence from Maine.

For info, go to:

www.merebeck.co.uk

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh im so sorry people esspecially newt waaaa dudes im apoligising to every on now oh and as you can c ive stopped the caps thing.

This southport fishery sounds afully cool must go up and have a look by the way people i didnt experince the 60s im only 18 but newt dude sounds like a really cool name dont u think!

................................................................................

have a nice day :D

Bruno Broughton:

Bruno Broughton:

Guys, concerning the stillwater Salmon, is it your actual bog standard Atlantic Salmon?

The reason I ask, is that I was reading about a fly fishery that pumps the water around so that you are fishing a stillwater river!!!

I got the impression that the Salmon stocked were a stillwater variety, as opposed to your migrating Atlantic job.

emmm sounds cool. do any types of salmon feed in rivers cause im just thinkin that if the place is trying to create a river environment for them, then will the salmon not feed please can you answer this question cauase im not that up on salmon or game fish.

................................................................................

have a nice day  :D  

Does anyone know anything about that.

Now this type of fishery could solve all the problems with Barbel.      

I was there last week, on a site visit ahead of a fisheries management report. The fishery - near Southport - consists of a large mozaic of man-made, 'natural' pools, linked by flowing, recirculated water. Brownies, grayling and landlocked salmon are present.

The salmon are stocked at about two years of age, having been reared from eggs and grown on in the hatchery unit alongside the fishery. The fish are a land-locked strain of our salmon, imported under speciaal licence from Maine.

For info, go to:

www.merebeck.co.uk

sorry started my reply in your mid sentance.But this is the question: do any of you know any types of salmon that feed on rivers? cause if this place is trying to create a river environment for the salmon then the question is how are they goning to feed cause there are no types of salmon from my knowledge that feed in rivers. please could someone answer this question cause im not all up on my game fish knowledge!

,...............................................................................

have a nice day :D

Peter Waller:

I would doubt that they will feed.

Peter - I'm surprised at you. These fish are reared inside the hatchery from EGGS. They live there for TWO YEARS before being stocked outside, where they then grow larger. Inside, they receive pelleted food; outside, their diet comprises freshwater invertebrates and - it is suspected - small coarse fish.

If they aren't feeding, what is the mechanism of growth? If you know the answer to that, patent it really quickly 'cos you'll make a fortune.

Remember, these fish are not 'normal' Atlantic salmon that have been imprisoned in freshwater; they are a landlocked genetic strain, quite capable (in several parts of the world) of completing their life cycle entirely in still water by natural means. Seems OK to me.

But, I agree with your implied criticism that it is immoral to stock 'normal' salmon into freshwater, where they don't feed and simply waste away.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Dunk thanks for the info on the dace, the only oxbow lake i know is not next to a river which holds a good head of dace, so I had no info.

I was as much interested to find out if they have bred in lakes naturally, up here a huge dace is possible in the river, but even then it weighs less than a pound, I was interested in case the next record dace was going to come from a stillwater, in the same manner that chub seem to be going much larger in stillwaters than they ever do in the river.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Hello

I know a lot of places that stock triploid rainbow trout, and a lesser number (two off hand) that stock triploid salmon, these fish are sexless and bred solely to be caught and killed (or re caught over and over)

were there not still water dace in the estate lake in a passion for angling that survived quite well?, although the lake did flow a bit (over a sluice at one end.

good luck all

ADAM

quote:

are they goning to feed cause there are no types of salmon from my knowledge that feed in rivers

oh but they do feed in rivers on the migration . . problem is the only thing they eat (apart from fry, or spinners that cross their path and this is out of aggression) is banned here as a bait . .

salmon eggs - or more to the point - other salmon's eggs, it appears that they eat them by the bucket full. Whether it is the quickest way of regenerating that last bit of spawning energy (like matter for like) or just genetic cleansing I am not sure. But in countries which allow eggs as bait, it is said to be a no fail bait

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !