BARBLE IN" STILLWATERS!"

:mad: How can people say that fishing for barble in stillwaters is right? They need fast flowing, shallow, clean, well oxygenated water to breed in! They also need clean water and stillwaters are prone to pollution so lets just leave the barble in the rivers because this also encourages people to use our rivers more as well! Chub and Trout are also species that need the fast flowing rivers and also the trout is a migratiry fish! Ihave also heard rumors about a salmon fishing stillwater this is wrong! Please someone agree with me that it is wrong to put barble in stillwaters! :mad: :o

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE BARBLE AND PERCH MAN:

:mad:   How can people say that fishing for barble in stillwaters is right? They need fast flowing, shallow, clean, well oxygenated water to breed in! They also need clean water and stillwaters are prone to pollution so lets just leave the barble in the rivers because this also encourages people to use our rivers more as well! Chub and Trout are also species that need the fast flowing rivers and also the trout is a migratiry fish! Ihave also heard rumors about a salmon fishing stillwater this is wrong! Please someone agree with me that it is wrong to put barble in stillwaters!        :mad:      :o      :(

And if you think barbel dont spawn in stillwater go down to Cudmore lakes in staffordshire

Anyway... Most of the fish that end up in these lakes get there BY CHOICE during flood season.

Some are stocked, of course, but I prefer not to fish these kind of places as through stocking the sh1t out of places with fish like barbel they screw up the bio-mass and end up with stunted fish. That's probably the reason why stocked barbel don't spawn, because they never reach sexual maturity.

Same for chub.

Who's to say that all fish should be in running water? Roach, perch, carp, pike?

As long as they are flapping about on dry land or swimming around in a tank in the back of someones dodgy foreign van i dont mind where they are as long as they're alive.

Carp were originally a river species. They've done rather well in still waters, as have chub (next record from a stillwater?), trout, wells catfish,

A hell of a lot of river fish do rather well in still water. As for barbel? Not sure. They do seem to like the fast gravel runs, high oxygen. They are certainly not afraid of a bit of flow.

I doubt they are a species that will adapt too well to still water life. Only time will tell, and I'm quite thankful there aren't too many people stocking them deliberately.

Singy

Paul Singleton

Umm - interesting choice of topic for one of your first postings . This HAS been debated at great length (and HEAT!!) in the past. Search for barbel + stillwater and you'll find dozens of threads. Here is just one of them....

And you can read more in the articles section of this site.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

My club has stillwater chub and barbel in three of our lakes.

They were there when we took over the waters.

They are surviving very well as all of the lakes are spring feed and the water runs through in the summer at about 20 - 30 litres a minute!

They are all growing very fast.

The biggest barbel are now up to about 6lb but we dont think thet have breed.

We run a keep net ban on barbel and any other fish over 3lb.

The chub have breed as every season we catch loads of chublets!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I agree with some things u have said singy but, matt, tell me do u really think that the barble go there buy choice from floods ha, they only end up there cause they get trapped in and cant get back to the river. tell me have u ever seen a barble spawnin in a stillwater cause i sure as **** hasnt and i have study a **** of a lot about barble on stillwaters thanks chris and also why have your barble not bread rudd hah? cause they need lots of shallow clean gravely bottomeds with lots of weed to breed!

(edit note from Newt: Lots of folks on here who dislike rough language. Please try to say what you mean to say without using it)

[ 17. December 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

At cudmore there are no recent stockings of barbel. but there are still a load of tiddly ones in there bred from the original stock.

If you've studied barbel so much howcome you can't spell barbel properly?

And barbel probably decided to stay in still waters because they're lazy as the food sources are easier to find.

As long as they are flapping about on dry land or swimming around in a tank in the back of someones dodgy foreign van i dont mind where they are as long as they're alive.

not wanting to be picky woodzzz, but think you forgot the n't off of above . .

unless you are a REAL BARBEL HATER !!! :D:D:D

do I win a prize for spotting the delibrate mistake

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !