Now here is a really big perch!

Vagabond

At the risk of being accused of being provocative I reckon the fish grow bigger over there because they have bigger rivers, with much more little fish in them for the big ones to eat. A lot of English 'rivers' are just wee burns, streams. This fish was caught on the Meuse. The Meuse is over 550 miles long. It flows through France, Belgium and Holland before it reaches the sea. The 8lb 13oz was caught on the Olt. The Olt is over 300 miles long and is itself a tributary of the Danube.

The Severn and Thames are if I remember correctly are the biggest rivers in England but they don't even come close to the big European rivers.

Ask yourselves this. How many English rivers would support a commercial perch Fishery? In France perch is eaten and they are really good tucker too. One can buy it in most fish shops and in supermarkets, boxes and boxes of them. All are around the 2Kg/3Kg size. I think the come from the Rhone, Saone and Loire. Again these are all huge compared to our rivers and canals.

Rivers and canals are still a major part of the transport system on the continent. Big barges can load up with a couple or three containers in Amsterdam or Rotterdam and go all the way up the Danube to Budapest and beyond.

That's not a canal,

800px-Leeds_and_Liverpool_Canal,_Burscough.JPG

this is a canal.

800px-AmsterdamRijnkanaal.air.jpg

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cory boxes and boxes of them. All are around the 2Kg/3Kg size :o:o:o Agreed there waterways are far bigger but boxes of Perch in the 4.4 to 6.6lb bracket i find hard to believe as a sustainable source ,Not saying they cannot get that big but surely they cannot be harvested in numbers at that size???? Can they?? Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Don't forget we have miles upon miles of huge drains in Norfolk, e.g. the Relief Channel.

228744_741f6058.jpg

But no giant fish!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cory boxes and boxes of them. All are around the 2Kg/3Kg size :o:o:o Agreed there waterways are far bigger but boxes of Perch in the 4.4 to 6.6lb bracket i find hard to believe as a sustainable source ,Not saying they cannot get that big but surely they cannot be harvested in numbers at that size???? Can they?? Steve
I'm maybe exaggerating a bit on the size but go into any decent fish restaurant in France and ask for "filet de perche" and see for yourself. Or have a search with Google France for recettes filet de perche. We had perch with mushroom and champagne sauce as the fish course at our wedding reception and the fillets were huge compared to perch that I had seen in blighty.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Don't forget we have miles upon miles of huge drains in Norfolk, e.g. the Relief Channel.

228744_741f6058.jpg

But no giant fish!

How many small fish are there for the big fish to eat?. Consider this during the 1600s (I know it's a long time ago) bleak were netted from the Seine and used to make "essence de l'orient" a substance used to make artificial pearls. It took something like 20 tons of bleak scales to make a pound or so of essence de l'orient.

How many small fish are there for the big fish to eat?. Consider this during the 1600s (I know it's a long time ago) bleak were netted from the Seine and used to make "essence de l'orient" a substance used to make artificial pearls. It took something like 20 tons of bleak scales to make a pound or so of essence de l'orient.

The Thames is not short on bleak. In fact it's swarming with them in certain places making fishing with maggot impossible. :rolleyes:

What intrigues me is Holland which appears to have both giant perch but also zander.

And what about Germany - I recently saw a 5lb German roach online... :o

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

The Thames is not short on bleak. In fact it's swarming with them in certain places making fishing with maggot impossible. :rolleyes:

What intrigues me is Holland which appears to have both giant perch but also zander.

Here's a link to that 5lb German roach.

Large German roach

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

When I was a lad I'm sure I saw roach that size in Loch Lomond. I never fished for them, there were tastier fish to be had.

We have a Dutch member, name of Jerry Weijers. You can read a thread he started here. It is a fishing report he kindly submitted. Some nice fish :thumbs:

Edited by corydoras

Lots of small roach/rudd/skimmers/dace/perch, but I don't know how it would compare with the big European canals. On the other hand, the drains are so lightly fished, maybe there are a few surprises lurking...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Here's a link to that 5lb German roach.

Large German roach

Colossal carp in France.

Monster perch and zander in Holland.

As the enclosed link shows, a massive roach in Germany.

Are there any other European countries which hold the same species of fish as Britain but which also has specimens in excess of anything caught in the UK?

Monster Bulgarian bream per chance putting the much loved Wingham fish in the shade? :)