Now here is a really big perch!

Vagabond

http://www.fishing-worldrecords.com/perche...luviatilis.html

...and lots more of interest on the same site.

Love the comment re the 22 lb 15 oz Australian fish ..... "questionable"

Over to Bobj :lol:

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is awesome....blinkin' flip!!

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

http://www.fishing-worldrecords.com/perche...luviatilis.html

...and lots more of interest on the same site.

Love the comment re the 22 lb 15 oz Australian fish ..... "questionable"

Over to Bobj :lol:

Wow - an 8lb 4oz perch.

From a Dutch river.

Does this mean the UK could possibly have perch this size?

Any scientists/anglers on here care to speculate?

Has a combination of evolution and the split between the UK and Europe thousands of years ago meant that the perch species has developed in different ways in different countries?

Or, is it exactly the same species with exactly the same potential for growing so big in not only Holland but the UK too?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Wow - an 8lb 4oz perch.

From a Dutch river.

Does this mean the UK could possibly have perch this size?

Any scientists/anglers on here care to speculate?

Has a combination of evolution and the split between the UK and Europe thousands of years ago meant that the perch species has developed in different ways in different countries?

Or, is it exactly the same species with exactly the same potential for growing so big in not only Holland but the UK too?

I would say its more down to the perch developing in different ways. Although the species of fish (Perch) may be the same both here and in the Dutch River in question.... The climate and species that surround the Perch will be most likely different.

Imagine if I eat Pasta for 10 years... And you eat McDonalds for 10 years..... Same species (imagine we were identicle twins) How much different would be now look/weigh based on our diets???

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I doubt it. The pike and zander regularly go to 40lbs+ and 20lbs+ so something unusual is going on over there.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Strange though isn't it? Holland is very close to us geographically and very similar in nature to parts of the UK (East Anglia especially). So why do some species grow so much bigger there?

Or was this a one-off freak? Are 6s and 7s caught too?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It's a great looking fish, but I wish they would hold it normally. When they push out to the camera, it almost looks photo shopped.

The rudd on the site looks like he's holding a cardboard cut out, or of a very stiff, battered corpse!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

have you seen the chub look like they are preping it for the table

I just tried to look, but the link now takes me to an Italian version of 'Mothercare'. :huh:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John