chinning pike

thornabyangler

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check a few on-line tackle shops, search for chainmail gloves

tight lines - Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

If you must use a glove make sure it is smooth as rough materials can catch and break the very delicate gill rakers.Despite what a lot of people say I think that most pike are best unhooked whilst being held rather than being placed on a mat.This avoids the pike being able to twist and the subsequent damage to the lower mouth membrane.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Always use a good size net to remove fish from the water, it may look macho to chin from the water, but not good for you or the fish. How would you release a fish that could be attached to your finger with the same hook. DON'T DO IT

First see where the hooks are. Place fish on mat, slip fingers gently under lower gill slit, on the side away from the hooks, being careful not to touch gill raker's, a glove would make this very difficult to avoid.

Bend the thumb 90 degrees, do not grip with the end of the thumb, this could cause damage to the jaw membrane.

Place knees either side of fish to hold it firmly, gently raise head slightly this will open the mouth. Remove hooks using an appropriate tool.

Watch for the fish to tense, this indicates that it may kick, be prepared to stop work if it does.

THIS AGAIN IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS BETTER TO BE SHOWN THAN EXPLAINED

[ 06. February 2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

The Lindy Fish Handling glove works for me. It's puncture proof to protect your hands from hooks and teeth and won't catch on Rakers like Chain Mail can. You can get them from Harris Angling.

There's nothing macho about Blood Poisoning so I always use a Glove.

[ 06. February 2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Rob Ward ]

Nugg:

Always use a good size net to remove fish from the water, it may look macho to chin from the water, but not good for you or the fish. How would you release a fish that could be attached to your finger with the same hook. DON'T DO IT

Could not agree more - I HAVE lifted a pike or two out of the water that way, but the very point you make occurred to me also, so I stopped doing it.

One hook in your hand and t'other in a pike making a last minute bid for freedom? I don't think so.... BTW it hasn't happened to me, just the thought of it was enough to make me change my ways :rolleyes:

If you want to look macho, take a trip to South Africa and try fishing for and unhooking their snake mackerel (snoek) - search Sea Fishing South Africa if you want to know more.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...