Hook question

Anthony78

Hi Guy's,

I'm looking for a strong hook but it needs to have a similar shape as the Brennan boilie hook. I like these because I use flurocarbon hook lengths and the out turned eye means that the angle of the hook doesn't sit so aggressively against the line which can happen with inturned eyes.

I've also heard that flourocarbon can be weekened if the line is pulled around the eye of an inturned hook so am reluctant to use shrink tubing to create the required angle.

The stronger hook is required because I noticed that when fishing at distance the weekend my favoured boilie hooks opened up a little when playing a couple of decent tench hard in order to get them away from some snags.

This is the pattern of hook I'm looking for but in a stronger wire.

post-4584-1304354885_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guy's,

I'm looking for a strong hook but it needs to have a similar shape as the Brennan boilie hook. I like these because I use flurocarbon hook lengths and the out turned eye means that the angle of the hook doesn't sit so aggressively against the line which can happen with inturned eyes.

I've also heard that flourocarbon can be weekened if the line is pulled around the eye of an inturned hook so am reluctant to use shrink tubing to create the required angle.

The stronger hook is required because I noticed that when fishing at distance the weekend my favoured boilie hooks opened up a little when playing a couple of decent tench hard in order to get them away from some snags.

This is the pattern of hook I'm looking for but in a stronger wire.

post-4584-1304354885_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Ant

Yes, the Drennan Continental Boilie hook, its exactly the same only with heavier wire...

Rich

Yes, the Drennan Continental Boilie hook, its exactly the same only with heavier wire...

Rich

Hi Rich,

Sorry, forgot to mention that I use these for tench fishing so would be looking for them in sizes 10, 12 & 14.

The continentals only come in size 8 and bigger .

Thanks

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

I like the new, thicker version of the Korum S3s for tench.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I switched to the Korum S3 hooks early last season primarily for fishing at Wingham and they have been excellent. For use with a maggot feeder I use size 14 and 12 and for hair rigging I mainly use size a size 10 with occassional use of a size 8 dependent on what presentation I am looking for. With regards to hook strength, a large Carp was landed in recent times on a size 10 with no problems. I mainly fish with with a bouyant/semi bouyant bait of some description so the line aligner effect can be created without the need to use shrink tube by bringing the hair off the hook at the right angle. The inturn on the eye on the Korum hooks also assists in creating this. I am pretty sure that quite a few of the Wingham regulars use the Korum S3 hooks and to date I have not heard any adverse reports.

http://www.korum.co.uk/hooks.php

Edited by tincatinca

Had you thought of these.

been using them a while now and really like them

http://www.tedcarter.co.uk/product.php?pid...ss-hooks-P-1611

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

With regards to hook strength, a large Carp was landed in recent times on a size 10 with no problems.

Large? Paul means 40+!

It's not the style that Ant asked about, but I too have been using Korum S3s for the last few seasons at Wingham. In addition to the advantages already mentioned, the inturned point doesn't get blunted on gravel nearly as easily as a straight one - something very important at Wingham.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

With the Korum S3 getting such goor revues here including a recent double figure tench captor and Tincatinca also using them I may have to try some.

The kamasan is quite a light weight hook in wire size and therefore not as strong so there may well be room for both hooks in my tackle box.

John