Cows

Spindle

Thank god im not the only one!!

cows scare the c**p out of me too, and bulls, well me and my mate went to check out this perfeck little fishing spot, to get to it we had to walk down a track about three foot wide beside the river, after getting about a quater of a mile down we found our swims so we turned around and set off back to the car to get the gear, as we turned a corner what was staring at us, A F****** GREAT BULL horns an all

We both froze,after ten minutes it started walking toward us so we very quickly climed the nearest tree, he found this quite amusing as he stayed at the bottom of it for about three hours then very slowly decided to walk the way we wanted to go, so we followed (from a great distance) untill we could jump a ditch into the next field and make our escape

Five hours later we were back at the car where we met a farmer who had been watching from his farm the whole time and found it highly amusing.

We never did fish that day!!!

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where you're coming from but the advice is right, they will back off. A good landing net handle held steadfastly and defiantly will see you right........!!

Paul

The great big angry ones with rings through their noses you steer clear of.

The dopey looking ones with big udders you just walk straight through and they get out of your way.

Its the young heifers and bullocks that think you are the most interesting thing they have ever seen in their lives and proceed to follow you down the bank spooking all the fish that get me.

And then there's Sheep. Just how stupid is it possible for an animal to be? The other week I was out Chubbing, turned my back for a minute or so to have a quick piddle and suddenly the group of sheep I thought were safely out of the way descended on mass and starting poking around around my gear. Next thing I know I'm chasing this down the river after this sheep that's dragging my rod and reel behind it.

most cows are just silly ( and most bulls ,well maybe not the black ones) when i go metal detecting i usually get a admiring crowd and a enquiring tongue in the ear usually the whole herd crowds round breathing deeply ,the only danger is if there is a tussel at the back and you get accidently trampled , but watch out for any "bulling" they get a bit funny and may make a charge but change their minds at the last moment you can usually tell by tell tale "mountings" going on cow on cow

the biggest fright i got was surrounded by watchfull cows i was busily excavating a elusive signal and suddenly a huge chunk of hair was ripped out of my head ooooouuuucccchhhh :mad: it wasn`t a cow but a goat that had crept up behind me :mad: and boy are goats strong try pushing one away when it doesnt want to go , i retreated untill the offending animal wandered off :)

reminds me off when the farmer used to get a hereford bull in to "see" to his cows ,it was a formidable brute but harmless it usually chased the cows away to get a better look , it only had one eye :) so if you spotted it dreamingly chewing the cud you could creep up on its blind side and suddenly apear in front of it ,a ton of burgers used to leap 3 ft in the air in fright :D

[ 06. February 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest NickInTheNorth

If cows are in a field by themselves, and haven't recently had their calves taken from them then just walk through and they will ignore you, or if you get close they'll run away.

If they have calves with them just make sure you NEVER get between cow and calf, they really don't like that. You stand a good chance of being charged. The bad news is cows charge with their eyes open and can move and change direction faster than you would believe possible.

If there is a field with a bull and cows together then the bull is unlikely to be interested in you at all, and the above advice regarding cows still applies.

Bullocks in general are the most difficult to be certain about. Usually they are fairly docile and more interested in eating than chasing you. Sometimes, and especially with younger ones - up to about a year old they really want to play, and they play pretty rough and even though they don't mean any harm they can do a lot of damage.

If you have a dog then be very careful, they often bring out a very aggresive response from any bovine, the good news being that they are unlikley to harm you as long as you don't attempt to rescue the dog. If you do then there is a good chance that you and the dog may be killed - there are several instances of this most years in the UK.

Hope this helps. :D