Environment Agency nets rod licence offenders

Slack lines

Tuesday 31 May: A long weekend of enforcement over the bank holiday netted 69 people fishing illegally for Environment Agency bailiffs across Yorkshire.

The team of bailiffs visited 70 waters, from Thirsk in the north to Sheffield and beyond in the south, checking close to 650 anglers, 69 of these were unable to produce one on the bank and now could face fines of up to £2,500.

The bailiffs also had a close eye on rivers at it is the close season – making it illegal to fish for coarse fish until 16th June.

Peter Mischenko, fisheries technical officer for the Environment Agency said: “Our bailiffs routinely patrol still water fisheries, canals and rivers all over the region, but as bank holidays are a particularly busy time for anglers we had a crackdown this weekend.

“It can cost as little as £27 to buy a rod licence and all of the money goes back into maintaining, improving and protecting our fisheries. Those who choose not to buy a licence are only not only breaking the law, but are cheating honest anglers.”

“We are continually looking at new ways to protect our fisheries and working closer than ever with angling clubs to ensure that all laws relating to fisheries are adhered to. If anyone wants any advice regarding this or any other fisheries matters they just need to get in touch.”

All the money the Environment Agency receives from rod licence sales is spent improving fisheries. Essential work such as surveying, disease control, restocking, habitat improvement and commenting on potentially harmful planning applications is carried out by fisheries staff, some of whom also carry out enforcement.

Anglers must be in possession of a licence before fishing and must be able to produce it when requested by an Environment Agency bailiff or other authorised person. There are junior and concessionary priced licences.

Licences may be bought from post offices, via the Environment Agency website (www.environment-agency.gov.uk/fish) or by dialing 08701 662662. Licences run from 1 April to 31 March and are valid for two rods. An additional licence is are required if an angler is using three or four rods

ORIGINAL

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

Are you an EA bailiff or something Slack Lines?

No I'm not Rob, reasoon for posting this was to warn people that it's not worth the risk of fishing without a license.

Ian

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

Peter Mischenko, fisheries technical officer for the Environment Agency said: “Our bailiffs routinely patrol still water fisheries, canals and rivers all over the region, but as bank holidays are a particularly busy time for anglers we had a crackdown this weekend.

Bank holliday ! Tripple time plus travelling expences. Is this the best use of a finite enforcement budget paid for from public funds ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

"The team of bailiffs visited 70 waters, from Thirsk in the north to Sheffield and beyond in the south, checking close to 650 anglers, 69 of these were unable to produce one on the bank and now could face fines of up to £2,500"

errr note the wording "unable to produce one on the bank and now could face fines of up to £2,500""

meaningless just because you cannot produce it does not mean you do not have it ;) with the technology they use you cannot use the excuse its in your other suite ,you have one or you do not.

it should read XX number of anglers did not have a licence so they will face fines of up to etc

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

"The team of bailiffs visited 70 waters, from Thirsk in the north to Sheffield and beyond in the south, checking close to 650 anglers, 69 of these were unable to produce one on the bank and now could face fines of up to £2,500"

errr note the wording "unable to produce one on the bank and now could face fines of up to £2,500""

meaningless just because you cannot produce it does not mean you do not have it ;) with the technology they use you cannot use the excuse its in your other suite ,you have one or you do not.

it should read XX number of anglers did not have a licence so they will face fines of up to etc

The enforcement officers that I've encountered from the EA now usually have a clever piece of electronic kit that enables them to check there and then by postcode whether or not a licence has been issued to that address. Obviously to preclude the old excuse that "I've got one, but left it at home".

So, presumably, the over 10% of fisherman they found without a licence on them would have had this check made on their address.

Let's hope that some of the fines make they way back to paying for this policing process.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Blimey, they do the job that everyone wants them to do and still people moan....how sad :wallbash:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Blimey, they do the job that everyone wants them to do and still people moan....how sad :wallbash:

You beat me to it Nick.

There's another thread on here where they're saying, no one's had their licence checked for donkeys years.

Now we hear of it happening recently, and some are still not satisfied! :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John