Who's been shooting cormorants?

Leon Roskilly

,giving details of the number of birds shot, twice annually at the end of January and June'

Thats the trouble with cormorants. Shoot 'em and they just get up, shrug it off and fly away.

Greetins Mr A, :)

I hear what you say, & its right, cormorants are a bloody nuisance, but they're just doing what nature intended them to do. Whilst on my travels I haven't seen many [A great number at the coast mind you] but last year only myself & a single cormorant shared a lake on a remote 'commercial'. I really spoiled his day 'cos I 'in the bushes' so to speak & he was sitting on a peg-platform about 50 yards away.

Well, what with me being only partly visible he was up on his tip-toes trying to see where I was at.

I thought he would have flown away, but we played the game on & off for hours.

Beautiful he was, and I couldn't have shot him even if I'd had a gun. <_<

Rather like your, is it, Fokker 'Triple'. Too chunky, I think, to be an Albatross?

Regards, :)

H

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wifey here not dan, me adn dan were fishing a few days back and i noticed every damn fish i was catching had wounds on them and were not in a good shape at all after about the 10th decent sized roach with a gash in its side i spoke to dan and asked him what could have caused it, he spoke to he fishery owner the next day (while i was at home being hormonal and having a paddy) he pointed out a huge bird and told him to watch what it did apparently with in seconds it had swooped down and hit a carp, it didnt eat it or kill it but as some one had already hoocked it when he landed it you could see a massive gash on its side,

now i personally dont like hunting or killing animals for the sake of it (my personal thing there) but even i said he should jus shoot the damn thing! i dont think it would be so bad if we ernt a couple of miles from a nice big river for it to munch on.

id never heard of these birds other than a few days ago but from what ive heard all they do is bug crap out of every one, thankfully yesterday dan went back to the fishery spoke to the guy there and was told that the birdy took a little trip...even if it did ake a few shots to make it so it wouldnt bother any one again,

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

A bit like golden eagle.
:bigemo_harabe_net-163: with a smooth hound sauce on the side

still haven't seen any though corms that is perhaps the hordes of buzzards around here get tired of small critters

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I cross the river aire on the way to work every morning,there is an old tree on the bank that used to have a cormorant perched on it nearly every morning,this morning there were three of them,they are quite large,I dread to think how much fish they are eating.

I cross the river aire on the way to work every morning,there is an old tree on the bank that used to have a cormorant perched on it nearly every morning,this morning there were three of them,they are quite large,I dread to think how much fish they are eating.

:yawn: Gettin a bit borin all this Cormorant and otter nonsense :rolleyes:

I know of a pond/small lake 15 min's drive from my house that has a colony of cormorants living on an island in the middle of it and the place is stuffed with WILD fish, it should be empty of fish after over a decade of having a cormorant colony living on it shun'it.

:yawn: Gettin a bit borin all this Cormorant and otter nonsense :rolleyes:

I know of a pond/small lake 15 min's drive from my house that has a colony of cormorants living on an island in the middle of it and the place is stuffed with WILD fish, it should be empty of fish after over a decade of having a cormorant colony living on it shun'it.

I hope you have been watching the Cormorants to see where and when they feed, because I am sure they can spot the fish easier and more accurately than we can.

The Cormorants have obviously achieved a natural balance even though they are not in their natural habitat.

Although I still say all the Otter, Cormorant subject is getting very boring.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God