Baitcasters

Elton

But regardless, to answer the original question we really need to know the intended lure sizes.

when i go up the lakes i use 2 uptide rods with 6000 reels ,no birdsnest,and the rods are 9.5 feet so you can really give them magdawgs a reel throw.i prefare my baitcasters for small tight swims were there accracy comes into its own ,with lures no more than 28grms

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you fix them ,slag some off ,what do you recomend then,in the 30to40price range that can do what the buyer wanted.i would like to know,not abu i presume,not a allround lure rod are they

I mentioned I fix them as it means I see and handle an awful lot of them compared to say an angler. Just trying to giver some basis for my comments. "Slagging off" sounds a bit cheap to me all I'm doing is giving an unbiased opinion based on personal experience.

You say that an ABU isn't an"all round lure reel" (I presume you meant reel not rod) Well I would disagree very strongly as they make/have made so many models that their is one in a size to fit most situations. As an "All round" reel you wouldn't go far wrong with a 5000/5500 sized reel. But I will concede though that none of them are much good for really ultra light work.In fact I used to think no multiplier was but a few years ago (thanks to an AN member) I was shown some of the really small (and really expensive!) models from Daiwa (not for the UK market) these were not to bad at chucking really small lures that I had previously thought only a fixed spool or spin cast reel would be good for.

As such I would always recommend an ABU Ambassadeur multiplier in the right size to any one wanting a multiplier for most lure fishing situations. Now your not going to get a new one in that price range you've given but that in my opinion is no problem because I wouldn't recommend a new one! New as in new models that is.Quality has taken a major dive in recent years from ABU and the older models are far better.As with most tackle recommendations I allways go for quality second hand rather than new rubbish if your on a budget.

That said I'm not currently up on whats available at present in the US and as I mentioned earlier some of the "shops own brands" from the big outfitters are worth a look.

Hopefully Newt will see this and might be able to offer some recommendations.

What size Dawgs are you chucking to warrant an uptider then? and if using such gear why the relatively small 6000 sized real? Most guys I know use 5500 to 6500 size even for jerk baiting up to 5 ozs lures. Only when I'm chucking Pounddawgs for cats do I use a 7000 size reel and that's only because of the better drag on my Synchro model.

But to get back to the origonal question we still need to know what size lures the guy wants to chuck before anyone can really offer a worth while sugestion.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

the rods are 9.5 feet so you can really give them magdawgs a reel throw.

That's interesting I to prefer longer rods for bank fishing /long casting with Bulldawgs.Mine I made from one piece Muskie blanks that I have built "dolly" butts for,Not to sure what the actual exact length is but it must be similar to your 9 1/2 foot.

I had the misfortune to buy a six shooter. After just 2 months I took it back to the shop. It was continually slipping from free spool whilst casting. I was also disgusted with the clutch its probably the worst I have ever seen or used. It was impossible to tighten it fully. This isnt a fault with the reel but for some reason its built in. I was experiencing line slip as lures were retrieved. The reel was swapped for a daiwa what a difference.

You guys cant have used many bait casters then! IMO the Six Shooter is the worse reel Ive ever used! I was given one to try whilst I was in France and I found a great use for it.....propping up the fridge in my caravan awning to keep it level ! Enough to put anyone of a multiplier for life!

But that was some years ago and maybe I'm being unfair and the newer models are better? Once bitten twice shy though.

I'm gld that you said that Budgie, so I'm not to only one! I had one too, about 4 years ago, when we were movijng over from fixed spools to mulitipliers for most (but not all) of our lure fishing, it was simply awful the most unreliable bit of takle I can imagine...rubbish, cheap and very nasty.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I don't lure fish much these days but when I do I use a Shimano Citica CI 201 like this one

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/rods-reel...-ci-201-lh.html

Cost me around 30 quid on the bay and has been a great little reel.

I had a mate who had a 6 shooter. Hr threw it into Loch Alvie if anyone wants it :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I would always recommend an ABU Ambassadeur multiplier in the right size to any one wanting a multiplier for most lure fishing situations. Now your not going to get a new one in that price range you've given but that in my opinion is no problem because I wouldn't recommend a new one! New as in new models that is.Quality has taken a major dive in recent years from ABU and the older models are far better.As with most tackle recommendations I allways go for quality second hand rather than new rubbish if your on a budget.

I have a drum one, bought second hand in good condition (e bay) and it is excellent for what I want, chucking the big lures, 'dawgs', large spoons, big cranks and surface poppers. I have ABU, Shimano and Diawa low profiles for smaller lures which are all good for smaller lures, good in that they consistantly cast well, dont overrun, the clutches run smoothly when playing a fish, all the things the 'six shooter' didn't do. it's just a ginmmicky branding thing anyway, the same reel turns (my son's friend bought one) without the JW tag but just as awful.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I mentioned I fix them as it means I see and handle an awful lot of them compared to say an angler. Just trying to giver some basis for my comments. "Slagging off" sounds a bit cheap to me all I'm doing is giving an unbiased opinion based on personal experience.

You say that an ABU isn't an"all round lure reel" (I presume you meant reel not rod) Well I would disagree very strongly as they make/have made so many models that their is one in a size to fit most situations. As an "All round" reel you wouldn't go far wrong with a 5000/5500 sized reel. But I will concede though that none of them are much good for really ultra light work.In fact I used to think no multiplier was but a few years ago (thanks to an AN member) I was shown some of the really small (and really expensive!) models from Daiwa (not for the UK market) these were not to bad at chucking really small lures that I had previously thought only a fixed spool or spin cast reel would be good for.

As such I would always recommend an ABU Ambassadeur multiplier in the right size to any one wanting a multiplier for most lure fishing situations. Now your not going to get a new one in that price range you've given but that in my opinion is no problem because I wouldn't recommend a new one! New as in new models that is.Quality has taken a major dive in recent years from ABU and the older models are far better.As with most tackle recommendations I allways go for quality second hand rather than new rubbish if your on a budget.

That said I'm not currently up on whats available at present in the US and as I mentioned earlier some of the "shops own brands" from the big outfitters are worth a look.

Hopefully Newt will see this and might be able to offer some recommendations.

What size Dawgs are you chucking to warrant an uptider then? and if using such gear why the relatively small 6000 sized real? Most guys I know use 5500 to 6500 size even for jerk baiting up to 5 ozs lures. Only when I'm chucking Pounddawgs for cats do I use a 7000 size reel and that's only because of the better drag on my Synchro model.

But to get back to the origonal question we still need to know what size lures the guy wants to chuck before anyone can really offer a worth while sugestion.

im refering to a 6000 baitrunner,in any case a large multiplier should be in the sea

Edited by fishtec1312

im refering to a 6000 baitrunner,in any case a large multiplier should be in the sea

Ah I see! Sorry Fishtec I had assumed you meant an ABU 6000.

So you think a 6500 size multiplier is to big for lure fishing for pike then?

That's interesting I to prefer longer rods for bank fishing /long casting with Bulldawgs.Mine I made from one piece Muskie blanks that I have built "dolly" butts for,Not to sure what the actual exact length is but it must be similar to your 9 1/2 foot.

when i said up the lakes i meant on a boat were 9to10 feet is reasnable,we cant allways have are rods made,27quidx2 on ebay cant mumble at that

Edited by fishtec1312