Plain and simple or Hi tech?

me

When fishing do you seem to use the simple basic stuff or all this new hi tech gear?

Personally i prefer to do it the basic way. Without a bite alarm just with my rod in my hand and holding it.

I had a talk with someone about fishing they started saying about all these different gear i was lost.

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible, and very much enjoy wandering around a lake or up and down a river with just a rod/reel (centrepin of course), landing net and shoulder bag with a few bits of bait and end tackle.

Oh and a flask of hot ribeana in this weather :)

Mat

Like you, Ben, I like to keep it simple. Maybe I'm an old dog that doesn't want to learn new tricks, but I derive great satisfaction from doing it my way. There is more to angling than pulling in fish during the commercial break on ITV!

I might use electronics, but I don't rely on them.

But then someone else will enjoy their angling their hi-tec way, so whilst it's legal, and morally acceptable to anglers in general, then so be it. I know that I do but we really shouldn't knock it!

I don't aim to be one or the other. I try to utilise whatever method will work best and that could be a mixture of old and new methods.

[ 17. February 2005, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Andy Macfarlane ]

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

simple ,i have never used a waggler and even when i have its always attached top and bottom ,new fangled stuff

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I must admit That the most high tech equipment I have is a "slider" bank stick for my feeder rod.

However, I will admit to constantly changing my line to find the thinnest 6lb line (currently .16 MEASURED)

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Fishing tackle has come a long way since cane rods, horse hair and bent pins!!!!!!!!

22 years ago I got my first fishing tackle.

A 12 foot sundridge glass match rod that was heavy, droopy and sloppy in action.

A Ryobi LX02 reel that was rough, noisy, heavy had crap line lay etc etc.

3lb mono (as thick as todays 8lb line)

Heavy Wire hooks that went blunt quickley.

Floats made of cheap plastic that fell apart.

Knotted mesh landing and keepnets.

The only decent thing compared to todays tackle was lead shot and replacements for that have come along way since then!!!!!!

I used the same methods in them days as I use today (apart from the method and pva bags).

Yesterdays tackle was a joy to use until today and todays tackle came along.

Today I use high tec gear with basic methods.

I use rods and poles and reels made with modern hi tec materials because these days they are affordable, very light and very reliable.

I use modern Hi tec alarms because when I am having a kip - they are not.

The rigs out in the water are simple running or safety clip rigs as I do not like to over complicate things (life is complicated enough, angling is a way out for a while).

I like to keep all of my rigs be they pole, waggler, stick, carp, ledger ete etc as simple and as basic and as simple as possible

but use modern hi tec end tackle to make them.

Take for instance pole fishing, a very basic method used before rods and reels were invented.

Nowadays modern hi tec materials have made them longer lighter and stronger.

Take a top of the range match pole.

Then add some liquid filled hydro elastic through a ptfe bush and sprayed with lubricant.

Couple this with very thin but strong hi tec pre streched mono, a chemically sharpened hook, a small very sensitive float and some small coated shot (so they slide up and down you line with ease)to enable quick changes of presetation.

Result : A bait presentation and smooth playing action unrivalled by any other method, using one of the simplest methods in an anglers armoury with hi tec gear that costs a packet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

i have tried using a cane abroad in menorca catching 1lb sea bass its quite fun on a pedal boat. i caught 2 that time using bread. ive still got the cane i might try and use it for perch fishing.

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

I love all these simple pin men that wander the river with the minimum of tackle...like NO UNHOOKING MATS.......a lot of lure men as well..

Den

[ 19. February 2005, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic