front or rear drag?

prez

DG,

It makes no difference... The rod acts as a cushion.... as soon as the blank reaches it's furthest point (bending), the main pressure is put onto the linedrag. If a big Carp runs hard it will bend your rod (providing you have balanced tackle) as far as it will go until it no longer absorbs the energy.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the logic but in my experience there is a difference that is probably because some drags will stick a bit before giving line

I've always set the drag by pulling line from the rod tip. This way I almost always end up with a looser drag than if I had yanked it directly from the reel. The rod usually isn't fully compressed so I also have a small margin for error. Both help with sticky reels.

Hmm maybe I should shell out for a better reel.

I see the logic as well, but in reality you're very unlikely to lock a rod up whilst playing a fish & if you do, it suggests that the set up isn't very well balanced, the rod is either too light or the line is'nt balanced to the rod. Watch the real distance casters to see how much pressure is actually required on your rod to get it to lock up, it's immense.

C'mon guys, for overall efficient control of a fighting fish it has to be backwinding. No worries about sticking clutches caused by dirt, temperature or the initial inertia catch up coming from a standing start, & best of all you're actually in control.

You know it makes sense!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Barbless: cobblers! :rolleyes:

Prez: Correct! :)

Peter: Backwinding :rolleyes: Give me a break :rolleyes: What are reel drags for, then :confused:

And I quote from someone much wiser than me (or Barbless :D )

... new era lines are virtually stretch free, it takes a lot less pressure to set a hook in a fish. If you are going to use "super lines", a rod with a tip that is more limber, than the traditional pool cue, is a much better choice for most applications.

A longer and more limber rod will be much more forgiving for those times you forget. It works by absorbing the impact over a much larger area.

Setting your drag for these newer lines is actually a pretty simple process. Run the line through your rod guides and then attach it to something solid. Adjust your drag so that it gives when there is a decent bow in your rod, and then back it off a little more. Then pretend to set your hooks. If everything looks OK, then you are all set. If you are unwilling to back off your drag at the end of each trip (recommended) then at least be sure and pull some line off against the drag before using each reel again. Even good quality reels will occasionally stick, but if you have a reel with a "jerky" drag, don't use it with the new lines.

Sounds like Barbless has a cr@p rod and cr@p reel ... with stretchy old lines :D Might as well backwind then

:D

DG

[ 21. July 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Well at the end of the day everyone has their own preference I guess. If your own method never lets you down, stick with it.

To all those buying a new reel, forget about rear drag.. it's junk. A good front drag will outperform a good rear drag (I think they're non existant now), that is fact.

DG, this reel I have (Capricorn) is awesome... The drag is the smoothest drag on any reel I've used... smoother than an Abu Centre Drag reel :D . I know, I've tried one. :D .

prez:

I see the logic but in my experience there is a difference that is probably because some drags will stick a bit before giving line

I've always set the drag by pulling line from the rod tip. This way I almost always end up with a looser drag than if I had yanked it directly from the reel. The rod usually isn't fully compressed so I also have a small margin for error. Both help with sticky reels.

Hmm maybe I should shell out for a better reel.

Prez, you have just defined the problems of a bad drag. If you have a good drag, all this 'sticky' stuff you're talking about becomes irrelevant.

Rear drags are 'sticky'.. that is the problem with them, and that is why they need to be set lower than the 'correct' setting, 'then' tighten up once the drag has been enabled by the running fish. (During the fight).

If you don't fish for big carp close in, then it's harder to appreciate, and not a major issue, as I'm suggesting, anyway.

As for the question, 'Front or Rear drag', I think you should buy a good front drag Reel.

quote:

Originally posted by barblesss:

DG, this reel I have (Capricorn) is awesome... The drag is the smoothest drag on any reel I've used... smoother than an Abu Centre Drag reel
. I know, I've tried one.

Well, it certainly looks cool, but no balanced handle though :rolleyes: ... and only £150

I can't comment otherwise, coz I haven't used one.

DG

[ 21. July 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Stick to multipliers :D:D:D

Seems to me that the backwinding option is the most logical approach with a fixed spool. I know great strides have been made since K.P. Morritt hit the scene with his Intrepid range, and that manufacturers have made some really significant changes in improving their products over the years. Arguably most of these improvements being hype to sell the product. Some people read, believe and absorb this hype, others go out and fish!

There have been some major design principle changes along the way, rear drag, improved washers, centre drag, bait runners, rollers, line lay etc, worthwhile changes that can't be ignored. But at the end of the day you can't ignore the fact that for every turn of the handle whilst the fish is taking line off the spool against the clutch will impart a twist in the line. Okay, okay, so none of you do that.

Seems to me that all the anglers advocating backwinding are practical and experienced anglers and that their advice is well worth listening to, even if you don't agree.

The original question was which was best, front or rear drag. Now its down to backwind or clutch! Some folk prefer automatic gear shifts on their cars, other prefer manual gear change. Me, I prefer backwinding on a fixed spool, but I prefer to rely on a clutch on a multiplier. Fickle beasts, anglers.

Atleast with backwinding the angler is in control of the fish, rather than the fish in control of the angler :D:D

quote:

A good front drag will outperform a good rear drag (I think they're non existant now), that is fact.

Ive just bought a shimano sahara with a rear drag and fightin drag, so they cant be obsolete now. nowt wrong with rear drag or backwinding in my opinion. each to their own.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail