Where to take an old man on his last (maybe) fishing trip

Sam Missile

At one venue of our club, there is a rule that car's are to be left in the car park, not driven along the bank.

At an AGM someone questioned about a car that was often driven along the bank, and parked at a particular swim.

The secretary replied that the car belonged to an old boy of 70+ who takes his dad fishing and, aged 90+, 'he can park anywhere he bl**dy likes!'

Tight Lines - leon

[ 16. August 2003, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Some lovely sentiments here :)

I'd recommend either somewhere where he used to fish in his early angling days, where it all started for him (if possible). Alternatively, if the chap is nearly blind, somewhere quiet and in the depths of the country where his other senses can be flooded: birdsong, wind rustling the leaves in the trees, the sun warming his skin... you'd certainly know you were fishing then, regardless of whether you catch or not

quote:

At one venue of our club, there is a rule that car's are to be left in the car park, not driven along the bank.

At an AGM someone questioned about a car that was often driven along the bank, and parked at a particular swim.

The secretary replied that the car belonged to an old boy of 70+ who takes his dad fishing and, aged 90+, 'he can park anywhere he bl**dy likes!'

Tight Lines - leon

Nice to know some clubs are still human then

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Strange, Budgie got there first, I was going to suggest Amsterdam but Hamburg is pretty good! If I were 90 I know where I'd rather go!!! :P Fishing!!

I hope the old boy doesn't think that it really is his last trip. The great thing about angling is contemplating the next trip.

I hope the day went well

Well, the old guy expressed a preference to fish 'fast flowing' water, so I took him down to Gunthorpe weir on the Trent, about 4 miles from home.

What a fantastic afternoon we had! Only caught a few gudgeon and chubettes, but, as was said on this forum, theres far more to fishing than just catching fish!

Incredible to think that this guy last went fishing before I was born, (and Im 42!!!)

He soon figured out the 'new fangled' fixed spool reel and was staggered by how light carbon fibre was.

We shall be going again!

Thanks everyone for the input.

Glad to hear it sam!Sounds like you had a whale of a time..even if you didn't catch one. I had a similar day not long ago where I was catching thousands of minnows! After my initial annoyance, I started to really enjoy myself! Fishing's a funny old game.

Barn.

take him to a1 pits in south muskham (near newark) if you drive past the six gravel pits you come to the trent there are lots of pegs there and you can drive right up to them, not sure what the fishing is like but i think there should be some barbel about.

I've got a suggestion. When you go again, take a tape recorder of some sort and ask him about his fishing memories. I firmly believe, that one of the most neglected treasures in life, are the memories of years gone by. More often than not, these memories pass into oblivion without anyone knowing they happened. It doesn't matter if someone thinks their life has been "ordinary". I don't believe anyone's life can ever really be "ordinary". It's just nice to find out what others experienced along the way.

A tape recorder is a good way of putting those memories on record. If he runs out of fishing stories (???), he'll have quite a lot of other interesting stuff to say about his time.

Apart from that, it sounds like his re-discovered love of angling, will keep him on the boil for a while anyway.

Good luck.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org