This weekends fishing

John Weddup

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well John! well done indeed.You've taken on a big task by the look of it and it seems you are starting to get some results.Good bream fishing mate.

Also good bream.Don't judge anything bream wise by the likes of Wingham or any other such SB/LSD waters they are complete freaks! When we catch a bream at Wingham its giant not due to our fishing skills but simply because when we are lucky enough to get one its only giants we can possibly get! SB/LSD breaming is simply not the same.

What your doing (and doing well) is fishing for big bream in a "normal water" this means that not only have you got to get amongst the bream full stop but then try and filter out the bigger specimens.A lot harder job but often far more fun than SB/LSD fishing.Stick with it John and lets hope two things,first that there are still a couple of real slabs left and secondly you can get amongst them.

Thanks for sharing its as close as I'm getting to any Bream fishing this year!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Excellent write up once again John. It certainly takes me back a few years. Living in Suffolk for the past twenty five years or so, I have in the past often walked around several of the venues that you have been fishing but have not taken it further. I used to spend hours with the binoculars looking at Homersfield, Weybread, the Ocean and also Alton water and Ardleigh. Spent a fair bit of time on Alton but never got round to the others. Like you I think that the Ocean is capable of a surprise or two and wish you every success in your quest. Looking forward to the next report.

Hi John

glad to hear ime not the only one whose been struggling lately.

Before they spawned I had a few good sessions with up to 50 or 60 fish mostly over 4lb and up to 9lb 14oz.

Then they spawned and I hav'nt found them since. This time last year I was getting some good fish between 10 and 20 in a session but have blanked in those same swims recently.

Still will keep at it and hopefully that double will find my bait.

You do'nt say what bait you used. I have been using 12mm pellets or 13mm boilies to keep away from the smaller fish. If I use maggots or worm I usually pull smaller fish in on a regular basis. I reckon that all this commotion spooks the bigger fish plus they do'nt get a chance to find the bait.

The bream on my water do'nt seem to respond to well after dark. Ive had sessions where I have been catching well in the evening then after dark nothing then first light back on again. Have done about a dozen night sessions this year and only had one fish after dark. Still it means I can get some kip.

Barry one of the most prolific big bream waters I ever fished (I had over 50 doubles up to 12lb 4ozs) was much the same. Baited up around 4 in the afternoon started getting liners and fish from around 7.30-8 then all over by around 11.30!

Didn't bother me though as it was only minutes from my house,could fish from the back of the car and as such was the most "convenient" big fish fishing Ive ever had! Only hard work was mixing up and balling in all the pud!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Wow John , i have only been fishing now for a few months and i must say i have never seen such a good quality of bream an in my eyes the are pretty heavy slabs , the biggest i hahve ever probably caught bream wise has been about 3lb , but you have shown me a thing or two , on how to target them using a partical bait across the area where you are fishing for and then fishing later in the day , normally i go in the morning around 6 am and stay til about 2 at my local place where i go with family and only ever catch about 1 bream and a hand full or so of silver fish form small roach and rudd to very small perch

Edited by Adam247

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

John great write up and good fishing chap

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

John Weddup,

Never one to fear a case of "foot in mouth" disease I shall ask what may be a stupid question.

Is "the Ocean" a brackish freshwater lake open to the real ocean? Is it tidal?

We don't do bream (that much) on this side of the pond. They are minnows related to carp - right?

Phone

Edited by Phone

Great write up as usual John, and another good session. :thumbs:

I love it when a plan comes together. :D

Phone, I think this is the water John fished, it's freshwater.

Just scroll down to find it.

http://www.harlestonanglingclub.co.uk/Lakes.php

Oh, and bream are real British fish, not foreign imports. :P

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John