Exotic Fish Farmed In The UK

Elton

This actually makes for quite scary reading!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/87...eplace-cod.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I knew about the tilapia and there's even a guy who was rearing barramundi in the New Forrest (not sure if he's still in business) but this article implies that they are looking to adapt these exotic species to a coldwater environment. I don't even know if that's possible but if it is, it sounds like an environmental catastrophe in the making.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Leon,

"Sportsmen" and food producers have a different agenda 99% of the time. Don't you think? Can you say civil war. We are facing a REAL problem with the Silver and Bighead carp.

One thing that would help, and it is being tried, is to change the name of Asian carp when presented as a "food fish" Common Carp are culturally despised as food fish. Eating common carp denotes a very very low social and economic standard in the US. It does appear often commercially as "gefilta fish" or "white fish".

I kind of believe you couldn't distinguish Bighead Carp from many very fine freshwater or ocean food fish. But if you call it a carp you better have a puke bucket handy. (I've never eaten the Silver Carp).

Phone

(Also, I am in a huge minority and I don't have a leg to stand on, but the Silver Carp only propagate in moving water. Whether they can adapt to our lake environments or not is the bigger issue. I say probably not. But if they can there is not only a potential, but a likelyhood, they will desimate sport fishing and commercial fishing as we know it. No one wants to "find out for sure", and frankly, neither do I.) We also have the problem of "lumping" them together as "Asian" carp. Bighead and Silver carp are actually quite different.)

I knew about the tilapia and there's even a guy who was rearing barramundi in the New Forrest (not sure if he's still in business) but this article implies that they are looking to adapt these exotic species to a coldwater environment. I don't even know if that's possible but if it is, it sounds like an environmental catastrophe in the making.

It was a bit more involved than a "guy", but it went bust after less then two years.

Aquabella -- goes bust

i bought 30 or so thin fillets for 10p a go (someone obviasly over stocked at sainsbury :D ) for the cray fish and we tried a bit as the portions looked very nice ,tooooo good for crayfish IMHO ,not great but without posh gravy edible even the mrs liked it ,with posh gravy i doubt it has any flavour itself so it might as well be bread

got 20 bass fillets for the same price as well must defrost some ,probably as they are farmed better for the crayfish ,cannot understand why people pay the going rate to buy farmed fish (especially bass) ,if you want to eat fish fed on fish crap (probably many times recirculated) its fine :nonono:

i mean if tilapia was any good there would be no starving africans

might be nice smoked

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ajay,

Has happend a couple (or more) times over here. Problem is/was since the company was broke the stock went unattended. Not cool when the ponds colapse(sp) into the watershed.

Chesters1,

Tilapia is the number 2 fresh water fish behind catfish in the US market (about? $5.00 lb.)

Phone