Weekly who's doing what thread

Rusty

I've just got back after an afternoons trotting and laying on. I had some lovely perch that I estimate (forgot the scales) where around the three pound mark, some monster dace of an estimated 1lb and some small chub. I watched a mink have a fight with a dace then eat it lol. I watched a cow pop it's cloggs...pretty strange type of day :mellow:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just got back after an afternoons trotting and laying on. I had some lovely perch that I estimate (forgot the scales) where around the three pound mark, some monster dace of an estimated 1lb and some small chub. I watched a mink have a fight with a dace then eat it lol. I watched a cow pop it's cloggs...pretty strange type of day :mellow:

Those bloody mink kill everything don`t they ????........................Poor Cow didnt stand a chance :lol: .

Sounds like a cracking day Ian well done ,All i got was very wet .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Those bloody mink kill everything don`t they ????........................Poor Cow didnt stand a chance :lol: .

Sounds like a cracking day Ian well done ,All i got was very wet .

Yeah, those mink certainly are ferocious little buggers, still great to watch em hunting, I am impressed with their abilities I must addmitt !

I think I came home at just about the right time as it started to rain when a drew the car into the drive. According to the weather report it's gonna put plenty of rain down this week so unlikely I'll be out fishing. When it stops and the river starts to drop off a bit I might get the barbel rods out and try a bit of rods in the air ...I think...although it can be productive it doesn't sound to appealing anymore . I may try a feeder rod instead and try for some large roach :).

All,

Spent the afternoon looking at "old haunts" along the Missouri River. It has been flooding since April, maybe May. It's a long story but the short story is one of water control and heavy snow melt and rain way up stream. The government has had to release water at a rate of 147,000 cubic feet per second - yes, that's not a typo - per second!! And, that's just the "extra" water being put into the river. The usual flow is 86,340 cubic feet per second. Worst since 1912.

Anyway, neither of us (an old pal and I) wet a line. Still couldn't get to the "fishable" areas. Mostly 3 - 4 ft of mud. Locals predict not next year, but the year after before repairs can be completed for anything but boat access. The old "stretches" have changed dramatically anyway. Will be years before sufficient watercraft is available to predict the shoals of fish. It is nearly impossible to plumb the Missouri River. Flow in "normal" times is 5.6 mph. We will have to rely on modern electronics and word of mouth I guess.

Tomorrow, (today for the UK - 9/5) we are going to a large lake for a proper carp session. (BTW, a proper carp session is 4 - 6 hrs.). Will let you know.

Phone

Edit: FYI 9/5 is a National holiday in the US.

Edited by Phone

Scoped Chew out at the weekend and water levels look pretty low.

All tickets to the trials sold out in Jan so I will be going there on the fly in the next couple of weeks before the circus arrives in town!

N

Edited by Neil G

Fished the Severn at Blackstone on Saturday and blanked. Actually, that wasn't to bad as my total rod time was about 20 minutes as I was fishing with a mate with a busted back.

The match that was packing up as we arrived was won with just two and a half pounds - the compensation water is absolutely killing the weekend sport at the moment.

Sunday I fished the Stour with a float rod and caught a steady stream of tiny chublets, dace and minows with the occasional palm sized roach and chub. I finally gave up and put meat on and caught a couple of nicer chub when a mate rolled up and had a go with the float laid up and baited with meat. The float slid away and he landed a nice eel which unfortunatly had to be released with the hook in situ as it was way down out of site.

An interesting weekend but the stretch of the Stour that I was fishng will be better come the winter.

I plan to re-visit the Severn on Thursday and hopefully make the most of the boom and bust.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Fished the Severn at Blackstone on Saturday and blanked. Actually, that wasn't to bad as my total rod time was about 20 minutes as I was fishing with a mate with a busted back.

The match that was packing up as we arrived was won with just two and a half pounds - the compensation water is absolutely killing the weekend sport at the moment.

Sunday I fished the Stour with a float rod and caught a steady stream of tiny chublets, dace and minows with the occasional palm sized roach and chub. I finally gave up and put meat on and caught a couple of nicer chub when a mate rolled up and had a go with the float laid up and baited with meat. The float slid away and he landed a nice eel which unfortunatly had to be released with the hook in situ as it was way down out of site.

An interesting weekend but the stretch of the Stour that I was fishng will be better come the winter.

I plan to re-visit the Severn on Thursday and hopefully make the most of the boom and bust.

I was at blackstone on Saturday aswell, also blanked. Needs a hell of a lot more water in than it does currently. Only ever blanked the BAA stretches of the severn when the water has been like this :angry: Also, was the stour section you were fishing the BAA stretch near Stourton Castle? Been there once and had a few nice chub and a big perch.