Weekly who's doing what thread

Rusty

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at blackstone on Saturday aswell, also blanked. Needs a hell of a lot more water in than it does currently. Only ever blanked the BAA stretches of the severn when the water has been like this Also, was the stour section you were fishing the BAA stretch near Stourton Castle? Been there once and had a few nice chub and a big perch.

Fortunatly, my mate didn't blank at Blackstone. He managed a couple of perch and a small dace. Rubbish I know but after almost a month of staring at the walls in the hospital and then at home, he was just glad to get out. We were laughing because had he been fit, we would have been chucking lures and either one of us could have caught more fish then won the match in 10 minutes flat from the middle section of the fishery.

I've just e-mailed the BAA to try to find out how to fet a car onto Trimpley.

I fished the Stour between The Lock pub at Woverly and Kidderminster town. I've yet to fish the Stourton stretch but have seen some interesting reports.

I'm in my last two weeks of my working life and so will be practising hard for retirement. This weekend I'll be after more of these.....

Great fish but I don't see the attraction of the antiquated tackle.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if someone stuch a couple of hundred mullet into a carp puddle somewhere.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All,

I'm back. We had a execptional session. Well, execptional for me. First, found a parking spot 20 yards from the swim (hard to do on this venue on a holiday). Second, I caught 3 and my pal 4. I had the big fish of the day. Carp of about 30+, a carp of 20+ and a huge Smallmouth Buffalo of maybe 45+ (sadly on carp bait - I like to 'target' buffs when I catch them.). Wide open swim and all came on 12lb Berkley Big Game mono, 7 1/2 UglyStik rod and Zebco spincast reel. We both ran 3 rods each. Bait was a variety of hook baits - I believe (?) my carp came on sweecorn and the buff on a Wheaties and creamstyle corn doughball. The real challange is to control the fish before you run out of line using a spincast reel. Don't use a net or camera. All released at waters edge. My pal's fish were equally fun, all carp in the 25 - 30 lb range (OK, maybe knock 5 lbs off the weight range - just to be safe). We gave one to a pot fisherman (not uncommon at this venue). My pal says he caught 5 but one was a "long release" of about 10 yards. Argued all the way home and he IS NOT getting credit for that fish - it got off, plain and simple.

Phone

Great fish but I don't see the attraction of the antiquated tackle.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if someone stuch a couple of hundred mullet into a carp puddle somewhere.

Turn that comment round and justify the need for modern tackle. The only reason I didn't have an old 'pin on is that I'd been casting out into the flow against a strong downstream wind, trotting for roach.

Regards, Clive

Turn that comment round and justify the need for modern tackle. The only reason I didn't have an old 'pin on is that I'd been casting out into the flow against a strong downstream wind, trotting for roach.

Only kidding of course but as I cut my teeth using a Mitchell 300, I'd suggest:

Better line lay.

Less "behind the spool" tangles.

Lower weight.

Smoother operation.

It won't turn to mush on contact with salt or brackish water.

I do envy you the mullet though. They are the most frustrating and infuriating fish I've ever chased but when they're hooked, they pull and pull.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Fortunatly, my mate didn't blank at Blackstone. He managed a couple of perch and a small dace. Rubbish I know but after almost a month of staring at the walls in the hospital and then at home, he was just glad to get out. We were laughing because had he been fit, we would have been chucking lures and either one of us could have caught more fish then won the match in 10 minutes flat from the middle section of the fishery.

I've just e-mailed the BAA to try to find out how to fet a car onto Trimpley.

I fished the Stour between The Lock pub at Woverly and Kidderminster town. I've yet to fish the Stourton stretch but have seen some interesting reports.

I've walked past that section many a time but never fished it, is it free or club-owned? And the Stourton stretch is very odd, looks like it would be a couple few deep max but there's 15ft holes and probably 8ft average depth when the water was low at the top. Although its infuriating as you can look up from the top swim to see chub and possibly trout rising under a tree just out of casting range :angry:

I'm told that the section that I'm fishing is "town water". Not sure if that applies right up as far as the Lock though.

Upstream of The Lock is apparently controlled by an angling club in Woverly.

Depths vary a lot but I'm not sure about any deep holes of the sort you describe.

I also use the Stourbridge/Staffs Worcs canals as a route home if I fancy a bit of excercise on the bike (it's about 13 miles from Stourbridge Junction to home if I go that way) and the Stour runs alongside the whole way. Some lovely water there which is mostly shallow and looks full of trout. There are sections where it's obvious that people are fishing it but the majority is inaccessable and it would be a bit naughty to fish it as it's quite obvious that it runs through private land.

There are other sections of the Stour that are fishable if you are prepared to do a bit of leg work.