F1 carp

terry t shirt

I dont know if its happening country wide but my local club has taken the view that these F1 pasties need to be introduced to every venue they have. In my view they ruin the balance of these waters top the detriment of all other species in the lake. I just wondered what everyone elses view point on this was.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

If what they are trying for is smallish carp to suit match anglers, F1s are a way to do it although some of the F2 strains also stay smallish and are more disease resistant.

Is that their reasoning?

I can't see any stronger effect from this particular sort of carp than from loading in a similar bio-mass of another species unless one or the other is more likely to breed successfully.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

my local club has taken the view that these F1 pasties need to be introduced to every venue they have. In my view they ruin the balance of these waters to the detriment of all other species in the lake.

You are absolutely right. The argument "its OK, they won't breed" is irrelevant, because

1. A water can only support a certain biomass, so by adding F1s something else is being deprived of its food. Yes, you can increase the food supply by increasing the amount of fishing there (ie more groundbait etc) as do many commercials, but its a sad travesty of angling to sit there catching starving pastie after starving pastie..

2. Fishing for other species of similar size is now made much more of a lottery as a F1 is very likely to find your bait first (they will eat almost anything).

Is it really "your local club" that has taken this view, or is it the view of a backward-looking committee dominated by matchmen? Its worth finding out, and perhaps calling an Extra-ordinary General Meeting if you can find enough people to agree with you. Its worth a bl**dy good row to try to save your fishing. If that fails, find another club.

I resigned (after causing a bl**dy good row and failing to dislodge the committee) from a local club in the sixties over a similar issue - the matchmen on the committee had decided every club water should be stocked with masses of skimmer bream. Their still waters are still bream-infested to this day and of no use except for club matches.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I resigned (after causing a bl**dy good row and failing to dislodge the committee) from a local club in the sixties over a similar issue - the matchmen on the committee had decided every club water should be stocked with masses of skimmer bream. Their still waters are still bream-infested to this day and of no use except for club matches.

That's all too familiar, I think. It's a shame, as these clubs must work on numbers, so one assumes that it's what the masses want. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Mind you, there are sometimes certain beneficial side effects for other anglers. For instance, Steve Burke has always had his eyes on commercial carp waters, for the reasons stated here.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

You are absolutely right. The argument "its OK, they won't breed" is irrelevant, because

1. A water can only support a certain biomass, so by adding F1s something else is being deprived of its food. Yes, you can increase the food supply by increasing the amount of fishing there (ie more groundbait etc) as do many commercials, but its a sad travesty of angling to sit there catching starving pastie after starving pastie..

2. Fishing for other species of similar size is now made much more of a lottery as a F1 is very likely to find your bait first (they will eat almost anything).

Is it really "your local club" that has taken this view, or is it the view of a backward-looking committee dominated by matchmen? Its worth finding out, and perhaps calling an Extra-ordinary General Meeting if you can find enough people to agree with you. Its worth a bl**dy good row to try to save your fishing. If that fails, find another club.

Great post, my feelings exactly, especially 'its a sad travesty of angling to sit there catching starving pastie after starving pastie'. One by one we're losing our special little lakes (and our rivers, if they keep flooding, which they will) as they're turned into the out-of-town Tescos of the angling world.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

This ia a large club not nescasarily dominated by matchmen they just appear to think everyone wants carp and the chances of calling a meeting are slim to none. BTw the Club is MKAA and i now believe everyone of there lakes has been stocked with these critters

Edited by terry t shirt

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

This ia a large club not nescasarily dominated by matchmen they just appear to think everyone wants carp and the chances of calling a meeting are slim to none. BTw the Club is MKAA and i now believe everyone of there lakes has been stocked with these critters

Might be worth writing a letter to the secretary suggesting at least one or two waters are kept carp-free - in case not ALL the waters are stocked yet.

Did you go to the last AGM?

RNLI Governor

I've never really understood the need for these F1 carp, surely if you want a medium size hard fighting fish in your lakes we already have a perfect natural and native species in the good old Tench?

Mat

Mat

I've sent an email and yes i went to the AGM and have opposed the intriduction of these fish into waters that didnt already contain them.

Well, you've done what you can. If that's what the majority want, then at least it will keep them off the MKAA stretches of the Gt Ouse and Ouzle rivers, which are worth the sub on their own.

Are MKAA also stocking their canal stretches with F1s?

RNLI Governor