Which camo gear? Is it worth having?

Peter Waller

quote:

Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:

tv0-0801.gif

This old drawing again .. of course, it's wrong because the light reaching the fisherman's eye (what is shown as anglers line of sight) is also refracted .. which is why fish and other submerged things appear shallower than they really are ... can't be RRRRsed to do a drawing :rolleyes:

Also on "your" drawing, the angle is too acute for total internal reflectance to take place

Oh and anyway, the cone of vision shows that the fisherman is easily visible to the trout "the trout can see the angler on the shore", unquote, less so of course if he (or she) were camouflaged with some DPM

:rolleyes:

DG

[ 13. September 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyhow

With the amount of duckweed about at the mo

It dont matter at all

WE cannot see the fish and they cannot see us. :cool:

Anywun got a white stick?

"Muddlin' along"

Fish have been around for millions of years, that's for far longer than man has stood on the bank with a rod, attempting to catch them.

But other creatures have always preyed on fish, from the shore.

Whatever the environment, chase predators don't have such a need of camo. If they see their prey and have greater speed and stamina, they can catch it.

But that requires a lot of energy, especially if the prey is adapted to life in a different medium.

So few creatures of the bank simply leap in and chase fish.

They wait in a likely spot and pounce when their prey is seen.

Of course, pounce predators need the very best camo there is, adapted for the prey they feed on.

And nature has had aeons to fit bankside dwelling fish predators with suitable camo gear.

It's far better that we take our lead from them, than rely on camo gear developed to stalk humans, amongst human landscapes.

The heron stands above the water slate grey against the sky above, motionless and still, until the moment to strike.

Around the globe, Kingfishers hide their bright colours amongst dappling foliage, small enough not to blot out a noticeable portion of the light from behind. They wait motionless and still amongst the leaves.

So, if you are wading become grey, the mean colour of the sky (or blue on Sunny days! We can cahnge our coats to particular conditions, herons haven't worked out how to do that yet).

If you are on the bank, look to the kingfisher for your cue

But whatever you do, stay motionless and still and QUIET

nb When I was trained in camouflage by the Australian militiary, the hardest piece of kit to hide was our rifles. The long straight shape has no place in nature, especially when it moves.

I'd hate to have to carry a fishing rod through the jungle on a combat mission!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The best blokes on the bank are the ones with all the best Camo gear on. You couldn't see them if you were having a wee on thier leg. What then happens is they get all the gear out and proceed to stick a pair of Metallic Grey Snowbee Waders on. Excellent choice..now I have no idea where to have a pee.

What is the point?? You'd be as well wearing fluorescent green for all the difference it makes once the waders go on. Do they in fact wear all this gear so noone can see them going to a particular swim or something only to stand out like a sore thumb when they get there?

Camo gear....if you want to look like a bush....go and join Special Branch!!...geddit... special branch.. :rolleyes:

P.A.A.S.gif

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:

tv0-0801.gif

This old drawing again .. of course, it's wrong :rolleyes: because the light reaching the fisherman's eye (what is shown as angler's line of sight) is also refracted .. which is also why rivers, fish and other submerged things appear shallower than they really are

correctedRIdrawing2.gif

Also on "your" drawing, the angle is too acute for sub-surface total internal reflectance to take place!

"Elementary, my dear Watson :D " :rolleyes:

DG :rolleyes:

[ 15. September 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Waders? Problem solved. :D

camo-waders.jpg

I do have to say I wear a fair amount of camo gear but not to hide. It's just that the selections over here are larger with camo and the price is at or below the non-camo.

Latest US rage is the "scent blocking" camo clothing. A layer of activated charcoal in the garment so big game animals can't smell you. Now for THAT, you do pay a bit extra. And I don't got any of it either.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President