Piking with braid?

Scopex

50lb Powerpro.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may seem like a silly question but why to you need such powerful B/S for braid? I am thinking of switching to braid and currently use 15lb mono. I know that barid lacks streach but surely 50 lb is very strong. I was watching matt hayes on telly the other day and he was fishing for Zander in holland and the guy he was fishing with was using 10lb BS braid and matt said that in the UK 50lb was more the norm. But this Dutch guy said that he felt you got better presentation with the 10 pound stuff. What do you more experienced lure anglers feel about this?

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Peter M:

This may seem like a silly question but why to you need such powerful B/S for braid? I am thinking of switching to braid and currently use 15lb mono. I know that barid lacks streach but surely 50 lb is very strong. I was watching matt hayes on telly the other day and he was fishing for Zander in holland and the guy he was fishing with was using 10lb BS braid and matt said that in the UK 50lb was more the norm. But this Dutch guy said that he felt you got better presentation with the 10 pound stuff. What do you more experienced lure anglers feel about this?

If that was a repeat of the prog I saw a while back, wasn't it also the case that the Dutch guide blokey wasn't using a trace? Zander aren't short of teeth, are they? Given that the vast lake they were fishing presumably also held pike, the whole thing struck me as a bit odd.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

He was using a single hook lure. We have debated the ethics of this on here before, ie when lure fishing for non pike fish and when using a jig lure with a single hook is it ok to not use a wire trace. (some said yes some said no :rolleyes: ) But I remain confused about the strong breaking strain on the braid. Does the braid wear out due to constant use? what is the reason for 50 lb BS. when using mono no one is going to use more than 20 lb BS?

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Newt,cheers i"ll try and get hold of some "power-pro",i have read articles regarding this line,and like yourself it highly praises this product,so thats good enough for me!!Anyone know where i could get hold of some??.

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

Re,The pike police, bring them on, check back to some of the origional PAC literature and you might find me somewhere. I fished Lomond when there were only three anglers fishing the winter, Gordon, Dereck and me. We had the place to ourselves, did,nt see anyone else from the end of October till March ,And in the early days John Lafferty, who caught more Pike tha ANYONE else. I think we allused PK3S or similar with in the main about 20lb line. I seem to remember John Watson and Gordon Falling out about tackle for Lomond, I think Mr Watson thought that the tackle being used was to heavy, so what he makes of the current trends god only knows.

I'm, personally, very happy using 50lb braid for baits and lighter lures and 80lb for jerkbaits.

I can frankly see no advantage from using lighter braid for piking.

Anyone of the lighter users care to elaborate?

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."