Piking with braid?

Scopex

Charlie Bettell:

quote:

If I had to go back to using mono, I would honestly give up pike fishing - now that's a FACT!!!! [/QB]
Official Notice:

Braid is to be banned on the Broads.

Sorry, Charlie, coudn't resist :D .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scopex, I dont think it was the use of braid that was in question, I think it was more the b/s that you were useing that raised comment. I realise the advantages in useing braid I,ve got it spooled up for specific uses, I do wonder at your choosen b/s though.

'If I had to go back to using mono, I would honestly give up pike fishing’

Hmm.... it appears that your allegiance to the pastime of angling hangs on an awfully tenuous link Charlie. Perhaps you should simply give up fishing in deference to the next benefit of modernity that is undoubtedly just around the corner?

Me? Why I'd hang up the Dictators tomorrow too, if I could no longer reap the benefits of luminous plastic sweetcorn! :rolleyes:

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

jim doyle:

Scopex, I dont think it was the use of braid that was in question, I think it was more the b/s that you were useing that raised comment.

Jim - I use braid in similar b/s myself even though it is way over-strength for most of the rods I use it on. Similar reasoning about abrasion resistance. I simply play the fish according to what the rod or reel is designed for and I draw comfort from knowing that a break-off is highly, highly unlikely so that if I lose the fish, it leaves without a momento from my rig.

It did take a little getting used to at first but the whole process seems pretty natural now and I do love the enhanced 'feel' I get with braid from all the species I catch.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I agree about the properties of braid, I,ve used it in as low as 4lb breaking strain and as high as 110lb but for general use I use about 16lb b/s. I know throwing jerk baits about is taxing on gear, and the price of baits is high, but I still think that 80lb is excesive. I,ve fished some of the most fearsome swims in Scotland for pike and never needed to go above 25lb. Still everyone to their own.

the piking police will have you jim! i used to be a believer in massive breaking strains just to get the diameter, but now i figure if you know your swim, and what you're likely to encounted in it, make your own mind up about what line to use, today i was using 50lb powerpro on one rod, and 6lb fireline on the other

Given that in general bait fishing terms for pike it is impossible to break 15lb mono, then if a stronger line has other advantages, but no disadvantages, you might as well use it. Therefore 50lb braid makes sense. It's thinner, it lasts longer, it's stronger. Unless you need abrasion resistance which the thicker and tougher mono offers I can see no reason not to use 50lb braid.

Nowt to do with piking police, just always taken the line of fishing as heavy as I can get away with, rather than the reverse.

Dave

dlstsig.png

can't argue with any of that dave, but today the river was running through fairly quickly, so i tried a lighter line than i usually would so i would get less resistance(not for lure fishing though, i was fishing for perch with other methods) and it seemed to work