Quality of life poll

Sportsman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never classed myself as European,

As a Frenchman once said to me "The trouble with you English (Yes, he called me English !) is that you don't regard yourselves as European"

"Too right Serge" I said, " It comes from being born and bred an islander - I bet the average Corsican doesn't even regard himself as French, let alone European"

"Fair point" he said.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

As a Frenchman once said to me "The trouble with you English (Yes, he called me English !) is that you don't regard yourselves as European"

"Too right Serge" I said, " It comes from being born and bred an islander - I bet the average Corsican doesn't even regard himself as French, let alone European"

"Fair point" he said.

By that rgument it would follow that someone from Skye or Arran would not consider themselves to be Scots. Those that live on Inchmurrin (an island in the middle of Loch Lomond) must be truly schizophrenic Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

By that rgument it would follow that someone from Skye or Arran would not consider themselves to be Scots.

I've only visited Skye and Arran for a few days each, so can't comment.

I have, however, lived on Unst (most northerly of Shetland Isles for non-geographers) for a whole summer whilst doing some research. There are plenty of people there that regard themselves as Shetlanders first and foremost, and put up with control from Edinburgh "because we must"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Cory,

Never been to Indonesia have you? Good luck on calling them "Indonesians"

Phone

Edit:

Ohh, and my wife is NOT from the former USSR or (god forbid) Russian. She is Ukranian.

Edited by Phone

All,

I wanted to attach this to a "thread to nowhere" for surely we don't need another political thread gone viral. (Quality of Life thread is as close as I could come).

In today's Kansas City Star newspaper the main headline is as follows:

""18 LIFE TERMS IN RAPE CASE TO BE SERVED CONSECUTIVELY"". I look again, thought perhaps I was ignorant of the meaning of consecutive.

Wonder how that Judge determined the number of "lives" the guy should serve.

Phone

I've only visited Skye and Arran for a few days each, so can't comment.

I have, however, lived on Unst (most northerly of Shetland Isles for non-geographers) for a whole summer whilst doing some research. There are plenty of people there that regard themselves as Shetlanders first and foremost, and put up with control from Edinburgh "because we must"

Did you think I wouldn't have known that Dave? Shetland is geographically closer to Norway than Scotland. In 1468 the Shetlands were pledged to James III of Scotland by Christian I of Norway as security against the payment of the dowry of his daughter Margaret, betrothed to James III of Scotland. The money was never paid and in 1471 Shetland was annexed by the Scottish Crown. Shetlanders don't wear kilts.

Just to be pedantic, Unst is not the most northerly island in the Shetland Archipelago, it's just the most northerly inhabited island. The most northerly island would be Muckle Flugga or if one want to get extremely pedantic Out Stack. ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Cory,

Never been to Indonesia have you? Good luck on calling them "Indonesians"

Phone

Edit:

Ohh, and my wife is NOT from the former USSR or (god forbid) Russian. She is Ukranian.

Nope never been to Indonesia, but I have been to the Ukraine, to a charming little town by the name of Illichivsk.

I am and do consider my self an imigrant, 100% I do. Yet I still get BLOODY upset when some silly bitch at the treasury tells me I have had umpteen invoices for a bill** I don't owe and besides anything else I should learn to speak French as she is not about to learn another language just to help me out!!! Only thing was of course I COULD Understand what she was saying!! Just as I was so bloody angry and worked up I couldn't think of what I would really have liked to say!! I managed a few odd choice words and a LOT in English WHICH SHE DID UNDERSTAND!!!

And sorry but at the end of the day it is because of stupid bloody ignorant bastards my Dads mated gave up there lives fro fighting against someone who would give this lot nothing but **** well and truly!!

Racist?? I sometimes wish I was!

**The bill was NOT mine, was addressed to someone living ten doors away and who's name was NOT Goddard. Meanwhile I had already paid MY OWN bill from some 12 months previously as I left the Hospital And for once I had kept the invoice!! And guess who will in future keep them all?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Cris,

I too had an incident in France. We stayed at a small village (motel(?)) just off the Netherlands. 3 nights in a row the bartender spoke perfect English. On the 4th night he couldn't speak a lick if English. Moody lot, the French. We were, in his estimation, becoming ugly Americans.

The world port citys are by far the most tollerant (maybe tolerant or tolarant? - can't cpell this morning)

Phone