Fishing chair: A design for everyone

Akoo

Hi guys,

I am an engineering student in Sheffield and doing a project to design a fishing chair/bed which could fulfill everyone's needs. I wish to design a dynamic system for the chair which can adapt to the fishing situation e.g. the fishing location. It would be helpful if you guys can pop up your feedback about the chair you used to have or currently use right now particularly about what you dont like about your chair.

Would you prefer to use a chair or bed or maybe both (chair that comes with additional component and could be changed to bed)?

I'll appreciate it if you guys could help me. Thanks a lot.

Faiz

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Akoo,

Space (folded) and weight (hand transportation) are always a primary issue.

Cost may not be as important as you think.

I'd like to see an adjustable chair that is loaded so that it "sets more upright" or comes "higher in the air" automatically when you get up. Then goes the other direction by releasing a adjustment lever or something. (Think driver's seat in a car - shock on a ratchet). Usable weight bearing between 100 and 300 lbs on a slope up to (maybe) 30 - 45 degrees (especially side slope). Probably have to be 32 inches wide (?).

Easy to clean; drys quickly from rain, feet won't sink in the bankside soil, maybe have a swing up attached side table; head rest (maybe detachable); "click" attachable bed component. Durable composite that doesn't absorb heat or cold. Repairable.

Edit: Initial color black and white in urban camo design.

Phone

Just ask

Edited by Phone

I'd like to see an adjustable chair that is loaded so that it "sets more upright" or comes "higher in the air" automatically when you get up. Then goes the other direction by releasing a adjustment lever or something. (Think driver's seat in a car - shock on a ratchet). Usable weight bearing between 100 and 300 lbs on a slope up to (maybe) 30 - 45 degrees (especially side slope). Probably have to be 32 inches wide (?).

Isn't that would look like an office chair?

A chair for everyone is going to be a very hard thing to design, as everyone's circumstances are different. For example, if you fish a stillwater where you can park next to your swim and will be sitting in the same place all day, weight is irrelevant and comfort is the main thing. If you are roving around a river, weight suddenly becomes by far the most important aspect.

I would be much more inclined (or should that be reclined <_< ) to do a load of research and try to think of a gap in the market, and design a chair for a style of angling that is currently not well catered for.

The only way I can think of doing a chair for everyone is to make it modular, with a light, strong aluminium frame as the central structure. That way you could sell lots of different attachments for different scenarios (for roving, light, basic padded material, no multi-position recline, extendable mudfeet; for bivvy fishing thick, comfortable material, multi-position recline, Stella holder; for match/pleasure fishing, rod rest and bait tub holders; for boats, swivel base and thwart clamps; etc, etc, etc.). The trouble I see with that is that 1. it would only really appeal to those who do a lot of different types of fishing, as otherwise they would simply buy 1 chair for their particular style and not have the hassle of a modular system, and 2. I'm not an engineer but it sounds complicated and expensive!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The most important thing for me in a chair is the legs and feet. I fish the rivers more than anything else and as most are aware not all banks are particularly accommodating. The legs on my chairs MUST be fully adjustable and very sturdy. The must also have mud feet on to prevent slipping or digging in. A chair is completely useless if you cant sit on it properly.

Following that the next priority is weight. I have to walk some good distances with a chair and the weight can become a real issue especially when already carrying a fair amount of gear if doing a night session for example.

The next priority would be straps. No chair that I have ever bought has come with a strap and so I am forced to drill holes into the chair to add my own straps to make it easier to carry.

Finally would be comfort (of the seating position not the material). I couldn't care less whether I am sat on cushioned material. The most important thing is that it keeps me off the cold mud in a level seating position and without metal work under my backside. I'm sure the *cough* older folk on here may disagree with the comfort thing but at my age functionality is more important than comfort.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

The only way I can think of doing a chair for everyone is to make it modular, with a light, strong aluminium frame as the central structure. That way you could sell lots of different attachments for different scenarios (for roving, light, basic padded material, no multi-position recline, extendable mudfeet; for bivvy fishing thick, comfortable material, multi-position recline, Stella holder; for match/pleasure fishing, rod rest and bait tub holders; for boats, swivel base and thwart clamps; etc, etc, etc.). The trouble I see with that is that 1. it would only really appeal to those who do a lot of different types of fishing, as otherwise they would simply buy 1 chair for their particular style and not have the hassle of a modular system, and 2. I'm not an engineer but it sounds complicated and expensive!

Anderoo, you are quite knowledgeable in the design process and u said what exactly how i would like to design it. It is not as complicated as it seem and whether its expensive or not its up to marketing guy. :D The 1st problem u mentioned is what bothering me. Would people buy 1 super-simple yet super-lightweight chair and have the power to choose what kind of accessories to add up to suit their kind of fishing. With everything on the chair would be heavy however very comfy. with the right accessories you are able to change the chair into a bed.

based on what AddictedToScopex wrote, you might aim for the super-simple with only strap being the only accessory. This is why i need everyone for. Would everyone prefer the freedom to choose? ;)

I am an engineering student in Sheffield and doing a project to design a fishing chair/bed which could fulfill everyone's needs.

Tough ask. What suits me for walking for 30 minutes to a river won't suit someone who uses a barrow, who does long-stay with all the bells or who likes accessory-type chairs.

I currently use a Korum Light and a Nash Nomad (Mk. 1), and the Nash is the best chair I've ever used. Light, comfortable enough, sturdy, I don't want or need anything else. The only improvement would be possibly a shaped back to give a little support to the back of the neck, the slight extra weight would be worth it.

and weighs 3 lbs.

Phone

Phone has hit the main point. A chair is a chair and most people will not be that bothered as long as you can sit on it, jobs a good un :thumbs:

All the rest is not that important and what feature one likes may not interest others but the one fact that is a winner with everyone is the weight of a chair.

Design a comfortable chair that weighs nothing and you are on to something, all the business of extendable legs, reclining backs, bait trays etc means nothing.

The untimate chair is one that weighs next to nothing and takes up zero space in the car and is easy to carry and can take the weight of a decent sized chap.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Design a comfortable chair that weighs nothing and you are on to something, all the business of extendable legs, reclining backs, bait trays etc means nothing.

That is the only thing I disagree with. On the Ribble the banks can be a reall bugger to set up a chair on and extending legs are an absolute must on many of the swims I fish. I simply wouldnt buy a chair without them. Its horses for courses though and some may need them while others may not. I couldnt be without them.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk