Fishing chair: A design for everyone

Akoo

That is the only thing I disagree with. On the Ribble the banks can be a reall bugger to set up a chair on and extending legs are an absolute must on many of the swims I fish. I simply wouldnt buy a chair without them. Its horses for courses though and some may need them while others may not. I couldnt be without them.

Be a man and sit on the floor :D

I tend to use my chair as a table and spend more time sitting or slumped on the floor then sitting in a chair.

Edit change the word floor to ground, saying I spend alot of time slumped on the floor makes it sound like I have a drink problem.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But weight is not at all important if you drive to your swim and stay in the same place all weekend.

With anything user-facing, you need to start with the user and work backwards. If you design something for a user that doesn't exist, no matter how clever it is, it isn't going to sell! For example, if the chair can either be a chair OR a bedchair, will anyone want it? Do people want both at the same time, or is one or the other at any one time OK? It reminds me of a Stewart Lee joke about a 'quillow', which is a combination of a quilt and a pillow, the trouble being that if you want to use both at once you need two quillows...!

The reason light chairs are hard to find now is that steel is stronger than aluminium, and makers of lightweight aluminium chairs kept having them broken by heavy anglers, so went back to using steel. Stonger, but heavier.

Little things can make a big difference. I have recently bought a new light chair for the winter river fishing, and it has a little mechanism that lock the legs in place. On the face of it this is a good idea as it prevents the chair collapsing. However, I can tell already that on a bitterly cold day it's going to be next to impossible to undo with cold fingers, and definitely impossible with gloves on. And as Latimeria said, his chair would be a little bit better with a diffently shaped back. Get all the little bits right and an 'ordinary' chair is suddenly the one everyone will buy. Another example, I have never understood why lightweight stalking chairs don't have a comfortable and insulated section designed for carrying the chair. Most roving is done in the winter and metal is cold. A bit of pipe lagging solves it, but design it in, and your chair is that extra percent better.

Please don't read this as negative, I'm actually very interested. I think the things I'd want to know are:

- what is the best selling chair right now and what are its properties?

- when people buy a chair what are the top 3 aspects that inform their choice - and what type of fishing will they use it for?

- do people buy more than one chair for different types of fishing? If so would they prefer one chair that could do everything or multiple chairs designed specifically for the different types of fishing?

- what do people dislike or what would they change about the chair(s) they currently own?

- what are they prepared to pay?

Rather than 1 chair with a load of attachments I would provide users with a shopping list of clearly priced components and let them choose exactly what they want. Whether that's a strong steel frame, fully reclinable, really comfy, with short legs or light ali frame, single position recline, basic material, long extenable legs with mudfeet, 'winter-proof' carrying handle and strap, or whatever. That way the user gets exactly what they want and aren't paying for something overdesigned for their purpose. There wouldn't be that many basic components and all you're doing is offering various combinations of them. All the while looking for those little things that make it just that bit better.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I always assumed that most anglers had more then one chair for different situations and that it would be hard to come up with the perfect chair hence why there are so many different styles available. The only major advance that you could make that would take chairs further down the line is to be able to make them lighter and or make them take up less space.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I manage fine with my Chub classic. Its light enough and compact enough. I don't sit on it all day so its comfortable enough. I have had a issue recently. That my 8 year old son wants to sit on it. I thought about buying him one the same. But its too big for him. In fact it could be 3/4 size and still be fine for me. Making it lighter and even more compact. So a half size version or Junior version would be ideal. I'm 6ft and 14 st and there seems to be plently of space to sit. Maybe I haven't got a big Backside!! The Chub classic is not a big chair but if there was a reduced size one that would be great for fishing on the move or for juniors.

Regards

Rob

Androo,

I strongly disagree with your first statement. Inovation or invention is usually "the answer" for which there was no question but produced a desired or coveted result (often by marketing). I cannot remember the last time I thought a "consumer" knew what was best for them.

For example, angling has become so non essential little is really chosen for maximum function.

Phone

Oddly my favourite chair at the moment is one of those cheep camping fold up chairs that collapse and go in a bag. The sort of thing sold for around £8 in supermarkets. You need flat ground to use it but it works in most situations and even has a holder for your drink and takes a few seconds to open and close with no messing around with those revolving locking twisty things. A good chair to have when you want to stay right up to chucking out time at a day ticket venue and folds down in seconds. A simple deck chair also ticks the same boxs, why do so many fishing chairs generaly require time to sort out simply to use them.

So two other suggestions.

Quick to put up and close down

And be cheap if it is seen as a viable product to take to market.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Same as Dales really. I really like the simplicity and ease of use of the folding cheapo chairs. They're light too.

Maybe one of them but with some adjustability built in? Possibly screw legs but maybe the extending pinlock type (like seen on crutches)? Higher back would be nice too. Plus, you can always add lightness...

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

err don't you subtract to make things lighter :D

i have a tall backed reclining garden chair which has been very comfy for 20 years ,its only drawback is it acts like a slide on a sideways slope,i have a couple of modern "fox" type carp chairs which are not comfy ,one doesn't even fold flat weigh a ton and both do not have yellow and red stripes!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'd like my Korum accessory chair, but with a more comfortable seat.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/