1 last session

paul93

leaving to start training for the army on the 30th and because of various leaving parties etc i only have time for one last day fishing. so have decided to target perch on a local small river and wanted advice on wether to trot maggots or leger a lobworm for the best chance of a biiger fish. want to meke it a good session as ill be traing for nearly a year so wont be doin much fishing for a long while. thanks in advance for the advice.

m Bi-winning" Charlie Sheen

Why not try both baits ?

Loose-feed maggots and trot with maggots. Catch a few fish. Then change to a bigger hook and a lobworm and trot that through (keep the maggot loose feed going). If there is a bigger perch lurking, that might well pick it up.

If the lob doesn't work, switch back to maggot on the smaller hook, and try the lob again later - you will still have the loose-fed maggots bringing fish to you.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I would certainly go down the maggot route. I would feed maggots and trot a small bunch of maggots through on the hook and then opt for a worm as a change bait every now and then to try for a big boy if the small ones are there in force. Alternatively you could use a chopped worm(a perch delicacy :D ) and maggot feed with varying lengths of worm on the hook. There are many options which would more than likely produce a fish.

Hope you enjoy yourself and do well in your training.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

You want to target perch and give yourself the best chance of a bigger fish - got to be lobworm, no question!

Feeding maggots is a good idea anyway, so why not fish 2 rods, 1 on maggot where you keep the feed going in, and the 2nd on lob off to one side for the bigguns.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

well thats it. i went for my last session and decided to trot maggots and try the occasional lobworm. managed several perch up to about a pound and one that reached 1lb 4oz :) unfortunatley i forgot the camera so cant post any photos. but thats it for now until i finish training :(

decided to trot maggots and try the occasional lobworm. managed several perch up to about a pound and one that reached 1lb 4oz

Mission accomplished then. A 1-4 perch is not to be sneezed at. :) Well done

Glad we were of help, and hope your training goes well.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

As an ex soldier I would just like to say " all the best for you career" & hope you keep posting. Even if not fishing, the posting will act as a distraction when it gets tough. Keep yopur chin up & listern to your instructors. Have fun & enjoy the army life. By the way which regiment / corps are you joining?

I had a great carp session while ON CAMP once as my barracks old & had barbed wire secure ' emergency water tanks' (EWS). While sitting the one outside the NAFFI one evening, I noticed fish taking bread off the surface. The next weekend returned with a basic setup & caught several 3 - 6 lb carp. So never say ' Last session' cause you never know. Eventually, once 'housework' done, you will get evenings to yourself, so use them to search the area for waters to fish. Sort out a basic tackle package to take later, something that will fit in your foot / personal locker. My fishing, in & around camp, helped me relax. Especially when I had little money & could not get home at weekends. Plus camo clothing comes free & bait items can be acquired from the kitchens, so reducing bait costs. I bet someone in there will be an angler & will help.

Anyway enjoy yourself & have a good time.

Mark.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

As an ex soldier I would just like to say " all the best for you career" & hope you keep posting. Even if not fishing, the posting will act as a distraction when it gets tough. Keep yopur chin up & listern to your instructors. Have fun & enjoy the army life. By the way which regiment / corps are you joining?

I had a great carp session while ON CAMP once as my barracks old & had barbed wire secure ' emergency water tanks' (EWS). While sitting the one outside the NAFFI one evening, I noticed fish taking bread off the surface. The next weekend returned with a basic setup & caught several 3 - 6 lb carp. So never say ' Last session' cause you never know. Eventually, once 'housework' done, you will get evenings to yourself, so use them to search the area for waters to fish. Sort out a basic tackle package to take later, something that will fit in your foot / personal locker. My fishing, in & around camp, helped me relax. Especially when I had little money & could not get home at weekends. Plus camo clothing comes free & bait items can be acquired from the kitchens, so reducing bait costs. I bet someone in there will be an angler & will help.

Anyway enjoy yourself & have a good time.

Mark.

im going in the REME as a vehicle machanic. will try to post when i get time. and thanks for the advice.