Sad state of specimen carp fishing

Pangolin

So good old 'Two-Tone' has put on a few extra pounds and made somebody else's lifetime achievement. The proud captor describes the fish as 'a pig without legs'. Now there is a real possibility of the UK's first 70lb capture, if only 'Two-Tone' keeps stuffing the food in... Oh dear, is this what we are reduced to? I'd call for a rule that says that a single fish cannot beat its own record weight: diificult to enforce, I know, but what else will stop the relentless pursuit of this one beleaguered lump?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all a question of attitude, and its transfering to other species :(

Yes, its sad. As someone else commented, it might be fishing, but it isn't nescessarilly angling!

Have sleapt on this one! Yes I think it sad that fish are targetted in this way, but it is inevitable that carp are caught and recaught and even recaught. It is carp fishing, the nature of the beast. Its not for me in that form but it is to other folk. Well done to the man concerned, I'm sure that you deserve your success. Enjoy it whilst you can. Carp fishing is carp fishing, and why not! Now't wrong with that, if its your kind of thing.

[ 26. February 2004, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Just one word to [edited] , you don't know what you are talking about and so I suggest you keep your comments to yourself.

Two tone was a VERY big fish the first time it was caught and the fact that it keeps growing is in most part due to its metabolism and the very rich environment in which it is lucky enough to live.

Special fish, special catch.

Den

[message edited. Please do not resort to namecalling - John S]

[ 26. February 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den, it was an excellent feat of angling, no doubt of that, well done that man!

No, my point was not intended a slur on carp angling as such. It is purely a culture thing. I can't get my head round this relentless hunting of known big fish in small waters. I have said the same thing of Nige Williams the piking blokey.

I'd agree with poldark to a point, perhaps not quite so aggresively. Fish and fishing is, and has always been a victim of its own success. The chase for individual fish has been going on for years. Two tone is hardly the first??? and as I am led to believe, two tone is hardly an easy capture spending most of his/her time on the bank....how many times have you seen it in the press over the years? I appreciate that not all the captors publicise it, but even so, It doesn't get caught that often, and it's never been known as a bait muncher......I don't need to list the string of big carp which are being angled for constantly, and it also happens with many other species, it just so happens that large carp are easier to identify and recognise than other species. We currently have anglers chasing the same perch populations on the Great Ouse, the same Pike up in Lincolnshire, The same Barbel (which have now been named and 'fed up' on anglers baits) the same roach on the Avon??.....where excactly would you draw the line?

Anglers set specific goals. The whole game is geared towards personal bests. Anglers put bait in to attract fish, fish thrive and get big.

This is a situation which I feel should be applauded, not condemed. It is an indicator of the popularity of the sport, and the positive direction in which it is heading.

Long live the BIG carp. Viva la boilie.

G

it is a special fish den, but each time it gets caught with a few more boilies inside it, surely it gets to be slightly less of a special catch, not for the angler involved, but for the angling world in general.

Pangolin:

Oh dear, is this what we are reduced to?

No mate, it's not. 'We' aren't 'reduced' to anything - unless we're happy to do so. It's purely a matter of choice.

Enjoying the luxury of doing exactly as we please, free from the constraints of the real world, is the very essence of angling or any other pointless pastime. Nobody is 'reduced' by pusuing their heart's desire, mate. Very much the opposite, I'd say.

Long may we please ourselves. There are more than enough disapproving eyes OUTSIDE angling, thanks.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

true wordbender, fishing is whatever you want it to be, and people should enjoy it however they want. however i still think everytime a fish like two tone gets caught repeatedly, something of the magic of big fish is lost