Sad state of specimen carp fishing

Pangolin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems I feel is other's perception of Carp Angling and Carp Anglers!

All too often we read - including several times above - that Carpers 'target' a known fish. Whilst this is very true in some cases, it is not always!

An example for you:

The year before last I fished a total of 15 sessions at the Bluebell Complex, and in particular 'Kingfisher Lake' - each session lasting from between 24 hrs to 72 hrs. All I caught during that time were two mid doubles on my last visit!

Now, for those of you know don't know, Kingfisher Lake is home to another known big fish 'Benson'. Benson is not too far behind the weight of Two Tone!

But was I targetting Benson? Was I heck as like!

I fished there because it is a smashing venue, it is safe, and there was always a good chance of catching a decent sized carp! The fact that I did'nt mattered not. That was my sole intention! The fact that Benson resided there meant nothing to me!

But to someone ignorant, perhaps innocently, of what Carp Angling is all about, I would have been 'lumped together' with all other Carp Anglers fishing Kingfisher and be accused of 'targetting' Benson.

It is other's perceptions of 'attitude' that needs to change, not the perceived attitude of carpers! There is a difference!

Wer'e doing fine thank you very much!

Dear Terry,

Ah well. Look on the bright side. Fenboy will only acuse me of name dropping if I actually new famous anglers. I actually do know a few including him but he's hopefully forgot that.

"Disappointed in you lot, bye!"

Well, I hope the school teacher from Aylesbury hasn't taken the black board rubber with him as Terry, Den and me have probably got more to write about this.

I'm actually starting to miss Fenboy. I bet he's on a featureless desolate drain somewhere thrashing their surface with "poppers" or "crawlers" as he crazy critters he way along them.

Regards,

Lee.

interesting replies to this one. but i am a bit puzzled by the "hard" tag. in my honest opinion as a sometime carper i have struggled on waters, and i have done very well on waters. on the occasions that i have not done well its been because of something that i have done wrong, not because the carp are super clever. furthermore i really thik the main aspect to carping is in getting the fish to feed. i know that sounds a bit simplistic but when carp get on the feed they are very, very greedy and are easily catchable.

Carp got this "intelligent" tag because in the past they were regarded as uncatchable. in part this was as much to do with the crudity of the tackle and the methods as the carps intelligence. then along came Dick Walke, using the right methods and baits and blow me Carp are indeed catchable.

carp are a great fish, as are all fish. if thats what floats your boat then great because at the end of the day thats what we all do it for, but lets not kid ourselves that any fish is more intelligent than any other.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Pangolin:

Disappointed in you lot, bye!

Aw, you could at least specify our failures, Pangers old chap. Actually, don't bother - it's bad enough with Herself pointing them out. :(

Mind you, I really don't think you were referring to me at all. You're probably miffed by the sheer flippancy of Trenters, Darkers and Wallers. I mean, those chaps just don't take this angling lark seriously, do they?

Unlike my fine self, obviously.

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

I am mystified at this "targetting" reference. How the bloody hell do you 'target' one fish in a bloody big lake ? - ok, so you may know it is there and also it's habits, but unless it is one fish in a pond the size of a bath, then it is nigh on impossible. So whilst I am not a Carper, or a specimen hunter of any fish, I must still recognise the skill / luck associated with catching ANY fish, named or not

poledark:

[message edited. Please do not resort to namecalling - John S]

Maybe he was right!

Being a ******** does have a certain ring about! Easy to spell on my cloth's labels too. I certainly did NOT take offence. Den can call me a ******** any time of the week! But I didn't read it quite the way that apparently some others have.

[ 27. February 2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

One point re the carp issue.

You only have to look in the weeklies to find galleries of nearly always miserable (for gods sake smile you've landed a whopper!) anglers posing with what I would describe as "freaks of nature"

Big carp yes, but unnaturally large owing to them having bellies stuffed full of boilies and high protein baits deposited in the water, kilos upon kilos are dumped in the water to attract and hopefully land that elusive large specimen.

40, 50lb heavily bloated carp, I would rather see a more natural looking fish of a lower weight thank you.

I do not dislike carp anglers although some appear to be very secretive and evasive, if sitting in a bivvy in the middle of winter with several lines in the water is what they're into, that's fine by me.

The only thing which I don't like is the amount of bait they pour into a water.

Dear Terry,

Might I assure you I take my flippant style of fishing extremely seriously. And when I'm not fishing flippantly, I flippin practice a lot.

Like at home on the living room floor for example.

Bright red plastic barbel in buckets with magnets glued on their backs. I spend hours "hook a ducking" them out so as to keep my hand in whilst away from the river.

Now that might be flippin flippant to you, but it flaps my flippers famously!!

Regards,

Lee.